Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   How do you secure your hoop nets? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19625)

CheapPelican 09-23-2013 08:10 PM

How do you secure your hoop nets?

I will be surf launching (and landing :cool:) with a full stack of conicals. I've only hooped out of bays and never had to secure my nets.

easyday 09-23-2013 08:18 PM

I have a pvc frame I made and it zip ties to the yak

CheapPelican 09-23-2013 08:40 PM

Yeah, got a rack to keep the hoops from sliding off, but what keeps them in place if you go belly up?

tacmik 09-23-2013 09:05 PM

Try bungee cords or else just pull them back up. They have floats on the end of the rope. Would be hard to right the yak with all the nets tied on.

easyday 09-24-2013 11:13 AM

Yea I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to right the kayak with 5 nets on top of it. Id probably just finish my landing then go swimming for my nets.

danjor 09-24-2013 11:16 AM

I'm considering building a rack today and than just using bungee cords to keep them on.

boxturtle 09-24-2013 11:41 AM

if you tie them down to the yak...if the yak flips you will never be able to right it up again.

Dannowar 09-24-2013 11:53 AM

I stack em on my hobie tank and secure them by putting two PVC pipes through the mesh into the rod holders. Sooooo easy

easyday 09-24-2013 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=Dannowar;170769]I stack em on my hobie tank and secure them by putting two PVC pipes through the mesh into the rod holders. Sooooo

Now why didn't I think of that oh yea I dont have a hobie

makobob 09-24-2013 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=easyday;170790]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 170769)
I stack em on my hobie tank and secure them by putting two PVC pipes through the mesh into the rod holders. Sooooo

Now why didn't I think of that oh yea I dont have a hobie

Maybe you need to get one, think? Would make the Catalina trip easier if you got the right one. Faster and safer too!

MrM 09-24-2013 05:17 PM

Chris, I can't remember if we hooped together last season or not, but I stack mine on top of a crate with half inch PVC sticking up like stakes in the ground. It's kind of a pain, but the bugs fit nicely in the crate under the hoops.

I think I might rig something up like this if I find some time here soon.

Crazy Cajun 09-25-2013 10:19 AM

I use my game clip to secure my nets to the kayak. Stack your nets on the yak, run the arm of your clip on the inside of the larger rings while the nets are stacked, and close and secure the clip to the yak. I also place my nets on a PVC rack to keep them from sliding on and off the yak.

tacmik 09-25-2013 03:56 PM

Game clip, bungees tie downs, pvc pipe. Man, all these years I've just been stacking them on the front third of my yak and paddling out. Never lost one yet. Guess I must be doing it wrong.

William Novotny 09-25-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacmik (Post 170876)
Game clip, bungees tie downs, pvc pipe. Man, all these years I've just been stacking them on the front third of my yak and paddling out. Never lost one yet. Guess I must be doing it wrong.

:luxhello:
Thats what I was planning. Now im a bit scared

Deamon 09-25-2013 05:58 PM

I must be the only spinner dolphin on a yak :D...I would NEVER strapped it all down in the ocean or in the bay. Entering and exiting the water maybe but in deep water???

Don't need to plan worse case scenario but don't ever think flipping couldn't happen either. 40-50#'s strapped in on one end. You gotta flip it back over then climb back in? I'm just not picturing it. Jim

Divad 09-25-2013 06:12 PM

Chris, run a strap just around your PVC rack. That way it would stay together and would pop off the kayak if you took a roll. Just leave one of your floats lose to allow it to float up so you can find it. And put your lobsters in some sort of bag. And tie them down. Good luck!: :lobster:

DocHaole 09-26-2013 09:34 PM

I run a "main line" of rope along the side of the boat on which I clip everything: hoops, dry bag, lobster cooler ect. Every bag has a carabiner and short line attached. I keep the hoops on the back with a small bungee to keep them from sliding around. I've spent too much on this gear not to tie it down, however I have never capsized so I cant speak to how hard it is to recover it all.

CheapPelican 09-27-2013 09:19 PM

Wasn't worried about loosing them while underway, just on the landing :kayak-surfer:. I guess they shouldn't be too hard to recover if I did have a yard sale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danjor (Post 170763)
I'm considering building a rack today and than just using bungee cords to keep them on.

Yeah, you do need something for the launch. They do sit perfectly on your bow although paddling in to the smell of salmon heads probably gets old after a while :ack2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrM (Post 170797)
Chris, I can't remember if we hooped together last season or not, but I stack mine on top of a crate with half inch PVC sticking up like stakes in the ground. It's kind of a pain, but the bugs fit nicely in the crate under the hoops.

I think I might rig something up like this if I find some time here soon.

No we never got a chance. Heres my roach motel I never got to show you
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/p...pictureid=1660
Only needs to catch the first two hoops through the netting. Good enough for bay landings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannowar (Post 170769)
I stack em on my hobie tank and secure them by putting two PVC pipes through the mesh into the rod holders. Sooooo easy

Stacked them on the Hobie livewell before but got irritated when the nets would get snagged on the rod holders. Maybe I'll tie a towel around the flange to prevent this. More secure than the roach motel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divad (Post 170893)
Chris, run a strap just around your PVC rack. That way it would stay together and would pop off the kayak if you took a roll. Just leave one of your floats lose to allow it to float up so you can find it. And put your lobsters in some sort of bag. And tie them down. Good luck!: :lobster:

Thanks. This time I'm keeping all my tako!

Divad 09-28-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 171163)
Wasn't worried about loosing them while underway, just on the landing :kayak-surfer:. I guess they shouldn't be too hard to recover if I did have a yard sale.

Yeah, you do need something for the launch. They do sit perfectly on your bow although paddling in to the smell of salmon heads probably gets old after a while :ack2:

No we never got a chance. Heres my roach motel I never got to show you
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/p...pictureid=1660
Only needs to catch the first two hoops through the netting. Good enough for bay landings.

Stacked them on the Hobie livewell before but got irritated when the nets would get snagged on the rod holders. Maybe I'll tie a towel around the flange to prevent this. More secure than the roach motel.

Thanks. This time I'm keeping all my tako!

Now! Who was that last line meant for? :D

I hope you got your limit!

CheapPelican 09-28-2013 08:41 PM

Gonna try to make it happen sunday night :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster:
Let me know if you need help digging out the PA.