Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DP 03-02 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=17200)

PapaDave 03-03-2013 05:59 PM

DP 03-02

I headed south along the beach this time, was a very nice day on the water, even got a little warm. Swell started building later in the day pushing me out a little to 18-20' depth.

Lots of sharks, various kinds, only got two to the boat, a small soupfin and a small, relatively speaking, white, about 6'. That guy saw the kayak,
nonchanlantly turned around and swam away as if I wasn't there. Thankfully the line broke.

I do not have any pictures and it didn't stick around, so it may be BS, or it may not. But I do know the features of local sharks, and this guy was heavy for a 6 footer, slate grey on top, thick, and pure white on the bottom, and a very thick diameter on the tail. And it fought much different than other sharks, not fast on the run, but heavy and powerful.

That guy actually gave me pause, I lost my concentration for the rest of the day. It didn't scare me necessarily, but whoa, never thought I'd hook into one. I don't care if you beleive me or not.

Wonder what they taste like... :hmmmm2:

SorryCharlie 03-03-2013 06:09 PM

Well thats interesting. I was drifting in the shallows a bit south of Doheny that day as well. I believe you, my obsessive watching of discovery channel tells me that the "small" ones hang around here in Southern California.

Hope I don't hook up on one, regardless of size haha. Thanks for the report.

Ggiannig89 03-03-2013 08:17 PM

i believe it! i think it would be pretty cool to see one, but at the same time it wouldn't be.

madncrzydm 03-03-2013 11:17 PM

That would be a pretty cool experience just seeing one let alone hooking one. Was that in the 18-20 foot zone there off the beach?

PapaDave 03-04-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madncrzydm (Post 149509)
That would be a pretty cool experience just seeing one let alone hooking one. Was that in the 18-20 foot zone there off the beach?

Sure was. Another thing that struck me is that it didn't even seem to care that it was hooked. Like it knew nothing would mess with it.

blitzburgh 03-04-2013 10:00 AM

Too cool!

Baja_Traveler 03-04-2013 10:43 AM

If that had happened to me, I'd be buying a GoPro today for the next time it happens...

janines.fishtales@cox.net 03-04-2013 11:51 AM

white shark

Wow! Too close for comfort for me! You were wondering what they taste like... He was probably wondering that about you!

I have never fished DP. Surf launch?

Janine:eating:

jruiz 03-04-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net (Post 149533)
Wow! Too close for comfort for me! You were wondering what they taste like... He was probably wondering that about you!

I have never fished DP. Surf launch?

Janine:eating:

You have your choice between a harbor boat launch, harbor baby beach launch; or for the adventurous, a surf launch out of Doheny.

jbasin0 03-04-2013 12:46 PM

These guys are certainly out there, in greater numbers than I believe most people think. Anyone who has fished/surfed the San Onofre/Trestles area with any regularity can attest to this. I had an 8-10 footer maul a HUGE halibut I had hung for about 35mins (light line) off the domes.....about 10ft off the bow of my kayak, in only 12ft of water! Pretty cool to see, but bummed on that hali.

That's the 3rd one I've seen there in the last year.

carbonbass 03-04-2013 01:19 PM

ive been wanting to fish off the domes for :wsb:, that makes me want to do it less than i did before reading this thread :the_finger:

Amish Ed 03-04-2013 01:40 PM

Lot's of GWS in our area. When I worked at the wharf one of our captains found a half dead baby in the harbor. There's a really big one that hangs around SanO sometimes. I forgot her name, but she's bumped a few people.

jbasin0 03-04-2013 02:27 PM

There's a really big one that hangs around SanO sometimes. I forgot her name, but she's bumped a few people.

I've been told there's a GWS hatchery in the area and the mother has made several appearances over the years.

SorryCharlie 03-04-2013 04:54 PM

I don't know if you have seen this video, but it will give you an idea of what size the sharks out in the San O area are and how calm they are about people being around.

Not sure I would be as calm as the guy on the kayak, but I love sharks so I would still love to see one...... just not the mom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOBeXD91fI

dpasinli 03-05-2013 10:19 AM

Seen that vid before, but that's so heavy! What an amazing creature the grey suit is. Kinda nuts to know that they've so close to such a heavily surfed area...their home not ours, respect.

Vikingj 03-05-2013 04:43 PM

David. I don't doubt you- SanO is not that far from Doho and we know gws are common at SanO. Good thing they don't thrash around like threshers and come running toward you!
Wayne

FlyFishinYakr 03-05-2013 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After watching the discovery channel, I subscribe to the theory that the beaches of So. Cal.down to Baja are juvenile rearing areas. I just bought a quality scuba knife w/leg straps (for just in case I run into the parents) I'm "straddling" my yak or if I accidentally go over I have a defensive weapon (endangered species be damned!). I just hope he bites the "right" leg where it's strapped. :the_finger:
I'm sure most of you guys remember the incident @ Catalina a few years ago where a woman was just paddling off the family yacht and was attacked by a GW. :eek: All she was doing was paddling, she didn't even see it coming (the shark hit her yak so hard, it knocked her right out of it!). Thank goodness some fishermen saw her predicament and rushed over & got her out of the water before anything happened!!!
If the first one doesn't work my tactical combat knife will be next (probably a better choice).

DanaPT 03-05-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingj (Post 149667)
David. I don't doubt you- SanO is not that far from Doho and we know gws are common at SanO. Good thing they don't thrash around like threshers and come running toward you!
Wayne

san o is too far for a gw to swim. continue on everyone. nothing to see here. :eek:

fishsouthcounty 03-05-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorryCharlie (Post 149570)
Not sure I would be as calm as the guy on the kayak, but I love sharks so I would still love to see one...... just not the mom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPOBeXD91fI

That dude was on a Stand up Paddleboard...one sketchy wind chop and your splashing in the water with that shark. Serious Cajones.