Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Lowrance Elite 4, anyone? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=16986)

45user 02-14-2013 06:13 AM

Lowrance Elite 4, anyone?

I'm in the market for a ff. I've searched posts on the forum but not much review specifically on this fish finder. Is anyone using this model? How do you like it?
Thanks for your help!

Sdspeed 02-14-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45user (Post 147577)
I'm in the market for a ff. I've searched posts on the forum but not much review specifically on this fish finder. Is anyone using this model? How do you like it?
Thanks for your help!

You might consider looking for the specific FF you want and read the owners reviews on Amazon. :D

45user 02-14-2013 07:32 AM

Sdspeed,
Thanks for the reply. I read some reviews on basspro and cabelas and they seemed to be good. I wanted to here from the hands in user review from the fellow kayak fisherman :D

PapaDave 02-14-2013 08:02 AM

I have an Elite 5, works pretty good.

Hunters Pa 02-14-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdspeed (Post 147580)
You might consider looking for the specific FF you want and read the owners reviews on Amazon. :D

I like epinions.com also

Sdspeed 02-14-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunters Pa (Post 147599)
I like epinions.com also

I always forget about them:confused:

ctrujillo 02-14-2013 04:48 PM

Got one works good if i could do it over i would get the 5.the 4 is a little hard to read on split screen mode but its a good unit

Spaulding4181 02-14-2013 07:03 PM

I have the Elite 4 and I'm happy with it for the price. Very easy to use, menu is intuitive and I think the screen is big enough. I got mine for like $270 delivered. Good price for color display with gps built in plus it has the micro sd slot to add Navionics if you're so inclined. Its my first ff so I dont have anything to compare to, but out of the box it just works and the display makes sense. I can easily distinguish between game fish, bait fish, eel grass, rock structure, mermaids, etc... Buying the ff is a slippery slope, all about how much $$ you wanna shell out.

captnblood34 02-14-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaulding4181 (Post 147649)
I have the Elite 4 and I'm happy with it for the price. Very easy to use, menu is intuitive and I think the screen is big enough. I got mine for like $270 delivered. Good price for color display with gps built in plus it has the micro sd slot to add Navionics if you're so inclined. Its my first ff so I dont have anything to compare to, but out of the box it just works and the display makes sense. I can easily distinguish between game fish, bait fish, eel grass, rock structure, mermaids, etc... Buying the ff is a slippery slope, all about how much $$ you wanna shell out.

Im about to get my Elite-4 wet for the first time tomorrow.

Color. check
GPS. check
Navionics Included. check
$250 on CL.

Spaulding did you In-Hull-Mount your trans?

Raskal311 02-15-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaulding4181 (Post 147649)

Where did you order it from?

Spaulding4181 02-15-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captnblood34 (Post 147658)
Im about to get my Elite-4 wet for the first time tomorrow.

Color. check
GPS. check
Navionics Included. check
$250 on CL.

Spaulding did you In-Hull-Mount your trans?

I did in-hull grease mount. I tried a wet mount but I couldn't make the container water tight in my Stealth. The grease works very good, however temp readings are off - anywhere from 2 - 4 degrees when comparing to other ff that have the transducer in the water. Grease is easy but can get messy if you're not careful.
Sounds like you found a great deal, let me know how the Navi chip works out... I was hoping to add that capability soon.

captnblood34 02-15-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaulding4181 (Post 147706)
I did in-hull grease mount. I tried a wet mount but I couldn't make the container water tight in my Stealth. The grease works very good, however temp readings are off - anywhere from 2 - 4 degrees when comparing to other ff that have the transducer in the water. Grease is easy but can get messy if you're not careful.
Sounds like you found a great deal, let me know how the Navi chip works out... I was hoping to add that capability soon.

Didn't take it out today, Im going to use that as the reason why I also came home empty handed haha! I did some youtube surfing and this guy uses "DUCT SEAL". If you know construction, its so cheap its almost free. Plus NO mess. And yes the in-hull will boch the WT but pans out eventually.

Jay