Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Newport 10/6 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=15451)

MrM 10-06-2012 02:18 PM

Newport 10/6

Absolutely beautiful day. Calm water, low wind, and no one was OTW. Minimal boat traffic, and maybe 5 kayakers at any one time. Met a fellow BWE'er.

The fish were not biting. I had a couple small bass, and a few monster mackerel from the mouth of the harbor. Saving the macs for lobster bait. Tried a few new Reebs Lures, C-rig cut bait, dropper looped cut bait, nothing worked. No temp readings (FF transducer doesn't work 100%)

Anyway, no one was on the radio so I have nothing to report from others out there. Nothing worth reporting from inside the harbor besides the fact that its clean and no more dredging. Plenty of parking was available at the CG station at 1 when I left... Never seen that before!

Edit- Do commercial lobster hoops have numbered buoys? Saw about 10 buys outside the harbor that were unattended. I'm assuming lobster hoops.

socal_matt 10-06-2012 06:10 PM

Hey Kevin, it was nice meeting you. I didn't have much luck either, I only managed to get a small rockfish, sanddab, croaker, and lizardfish. I did however snag a octopus while going for rockcod, and I got a good fight from a 3 foot Spiny Dogfish.

CheapPelican 10-06-2012 07:37 PM

Thanks for the report. When do you plan on using that bait? Gonna hit Crystal Cove tomorrow with a couple other guys.

MrM 10-07-2012 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal_matt (Post 135565)
Hey Kevin, it was nice meeting you. I didn't have much luck either, I only managed to get a small rockfish, sanddab, croaker, and lizardfish. I did however snag a octopus while going for rockcod, and I got a good fight from a 3 foot Spiny Dogfish.

Nice meeting you too, man! Glad you beat the skunk!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 135567)
Thanks for the report. When do you plan on using that bait? Gonna hit Crystal Cove tomorrow with a couple other guys.

I was thinking next Weekend possibly, maybe the one after that. I might be making a run to Utah, so we'll see. Thank you for the offer though! I still need to set up my yak to carry the hoops anyway. I'll shoot you a message when I do get out.

kiyo21 10-08-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 135567)

Wait wait wait wait!? Are you telling me we can kayak crystal cove for bug? I thought it was a smca? How is this possible!?

CheapPelican 10-08-2012 08:20 PM

http://dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/scmpas_list.asp

Boundary: This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:

33° 35.373' N. lat. 117° 52.648' W. long.;
33° 35.065' N. lat. 117° 52.692' W. long.;
33° 32.400' N. lat. 117° 49.200' W. long.; and
33° 33.233' N. lat. 117° 49.200' W. long.

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:

The recreational take of finfish by hook-and-line or by spearfishing, and lobster and sea urchin is allowed.
The commercial take of coastal pelagic species by round haul net, spiny lobster by trap, and sea urchin is allowed.
Take pursuant to beach nourishment and other sediment management activities, and operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area is allowed per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department.

Take of all living marine resources from inside tidepools is prohibited. For purposes of this section, tidepools are defined as the area encompassing the rocky pools that are filled with seawater due to retracting tides between the mean higher high tide line and the mean lower low tide line.

kiyo21 10-08-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 135767)

Boundary: This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the following points in the order listed:

Permitted/Prohibited Uses: Take of all living marine resources is prohibited except:

The recreational take of finfish by hook-and-line or by spearfishing, and lobster and sea urchin is allowed.
The commercial take of coastal pelagic species by round haul net, spiny lobster by trap, and sea urchin is allowed.
Take pursuant to beach nourishment and other sediment management activities, and operation and maintenance of artificial structures inside the conservation area is allowed per any required federal, state and local permits, or as otherwise authorized by the department.

Take of all living marine resources from inside tidepools is prohibited. For purposes of this section, tidepools are defined as the area encompassing the rocky pools that are filled with seawater due to retracting tides between the mean higher high tide line and the mean lower low tide line.

So they are spear fishing?

Schmitthappens 10-16-2012 04:08 AM

Yes, those are commercial traps, there are 4 guys that operate right out of Newport. They are probably all positioned on the old wreck out there

TheBentRod 10-16-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapPelican (Post 135767)

I think lobster is only by diving. Only commercial guys can use traps/nets.

socal_matt 10-16-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBentRod (Post 136487)
I think lobster is only by diving. Only commercial guys can use traps/nets.

False, you can recreationally hoop net out of Newport. Me and a couple of other boats were out there the other night.

Pugz 10-16-2012 06:49 PM

You can rod and reel fish and spearfish at crystal cove. You can take lobster as well, lobster may only be taken recreationally by hand( on scuba or free diving) or by net ( flat nets or Conical style). Only commercial fishermen with a lobster permit may use traps to take lobster. Commercial traps do not let lobster out while a recreational net allows lobster to enter and exit net.

Pugz 10-16-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal_matt (Post 136568)
False, you can recreationally hoop net out of Newport. Me and a couple of other boats were out there the other night.

How did you guys do?

socal_matt 10-17-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugz (Post 136579)
How did you guys do?

Not so well, they just weren't crawlin'. I did however get one dungeness, an eel, and a calico bass in our nets.

Aaron&Julie 10-17-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal_matt (Post 136691)
Not so well, they just weren't crawlin'. I did however get one dungeness, an eel, and a calico bass in our nets.

I could be wrong, but I think dungeness crabs are further up north, closer to the Frisco area, although Wikipedia, says they range as far south as Point Conception, in the Santa Barbara region. You probably had what most call either a rock or stone crab, very good eating but a lot of work, and not nearly the body meat of a dungeness crab.
Aaron

Pugz 10-18-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal_matt (Post 136691)

Bummer. I haven't been out there this season, hopefully soon. How's the oc lobstering been? Sounds like San Diego guys are doing well.

fishsouthcounty 10-18-2012 06:57 PM

ya no dungies this far south...they snare the hell out of them around the bay area though off of piers/jetties/shore. Probably just red rock crab you had. Still good eats from what i understand....