Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   La Jolla Saturday (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13063)

Mr. Adventure 04-02-2012 05:23 PM

La Jolla Saturday

Planning on getting to the launch around 6. Plan is to make bait and out to the far kelp then troll a 1oz Carolina rigged Mac around the kelp and try out the yo-yo iron for the first time. If that doesn't produce then I guess I'll be looking for rock piles.

Does this sound like a decent plan for this time of year, any pointers? I've never made squid before is it in the area?

Anyone want to buddy up? (if weather and conditions are good)

lowprofile 04-02-2012 05:31 PM

make your leader long and a circle through the nose, hook from bottom to top. make sure you dont have any shiny swivels or weights. cuda's should be around soon. probably still early, but you never know.

oh. and when you hook a seal, turn on your camera and show us how you gut it.

Mr. Adventure 04-02-2012 05:52 PM

Oh another question I had. Last time out I had a circle hooked Mac but it seemed the point kept turning into and Poking the Mac making the presentation wrong and shortening te macs life. Is this because of too big of a hook?

I remember seeing a video on here of someone using a bead on the hook to keep the Mac from moving. Anyone try this or m ow where to get it? Or maybe a small rubber and tied around the hook? Thanks

yani 04-02-2012 06:43 PM

For the problem of the hook wrapping around
and restabbing the mack, I use a little rubber
stopper. Speciality tackle shops offer them. It's
the only way to go since even a perfectly sized hook
will give you the same problems.

I've never hooked a mack in the mouth, bottom to top.
Because I believe it'll screw with its breathing thus
shortening its life. I either laterally nose hook 'em, on
the hook goes thru the top back strap.

slobslayer 04-05-2012 11:51 AM

I should be out there saturday. I'm in a grey fish n dive

Baja_Traveler 04-05-2012 12:50 PM

I'm shooting a silhouette competition Saturday, but I'll be out the same time Sunday - probably heading up to Blacks to troll for halibut if anyone wants to join...
(though if this surf doesnt calm down I may not be going anywhere - the Scripps Piercam is showing breakers in the cove right now)

Mr. Adventure 04-05-2012 01:06 PM

isn't blacks closed off?

I'll be out there, yellow x-13 farting around just outside the kelp. I'll have beer and hopefully I'll meet up with someone that's down to paddle out a ways. Not doing that alone again.

Just look for the van hah hah

TJones 04-05-2012 02:55 PM

did you mention beer?

:cheers1:

Rastajow 04-05-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure (Post 112782)
isn't blacks closed off?

I'll be out there, yellow x-13 farting around just outside the kelp. I'll have beer and hopefully I'll meet up with someone that's down to paddle out a ways. Not doing that alone again.

Just look for the van hah hah

I will meet you at the launch location. Not sure about the beer thing... dont wanna YACK again lol

Mr. Adventure 04-05-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 112802)
:cheers1:

If you've got the rock piles I've got the brews :D

taggermike 04-05-2012 06:13 PM

I've had that same trouble with hook pulling through an in to the side of the macks head. It isn't a 100% fix but I have better results putting the hook in the baits mouth and out the top of the nose. Mike

Baja_Traveler 04-06-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure (Post 112782)
isn't blacks closed off?

South side of blacks is in the Scripps Reserve - pelagic's and bait only there...

I'll be a bit further north from the glider port up through the golf course - again, assuming the wind and surf cooperates...

slobslayer 04-06-2012 02:53 PM

I'll be at the launch early too ill shoot for 630. Is that when u guys will be launching? It will be my first time launching at la jolla so hopefully the surf is small if not ill hit the bay for halibut

Mr. Adventure 04-06-2012 03:10 PM

I plan on getting there around 6ish. Look forward to seeing folks out there. I can give a crash course on dealing with the surf, but don't expect to learn many fishing tips from me. I'm still learning that myself