Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   La Jolla 10/28/11 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11803)

trinidude 10-28-2011 06:28 PM

La Jolla 10/28/11

Went to la jolla today with my buddy
Left the lax area around 2:30 am and stopped by Oceanside to drop something off
On the water by 5:30 am
Slow day with perfect conditions no wind small swell felt like I was at a lake
Caught two lings on the slider and we caught calicos on dropper loop with fresh dead squid. All calicos releases water temp was 62 degrees with red tide gone and lots of bait
No fish of the right kind caught today

But my buddy did loose his hobbie paddle this morning he thinks it came off on the launch so I anyone found a paddle this morning please let me know thank you

Tony

blitzburgh 10-31-2011 07:15 AM

Nice work. Were the Lings good size?

mtnbykr2 10-31-2011 07:39 AM

Sounds like a mirror image of our day yesterday, no wind no waves, lake like condiitons, more bait than I have ever seen in one day, lots of lings all short beautiful day though:reel:

trinidude 10-31-2011 08:47 AM

one of the lings was around 25" and the other ling was about 32" but yeah overall a good day but unfortunatelly none of the right kind

Aaron&Julie 10-31-2011 06:54 PM

We all know what the right kind is, but I've got to say 2 legal lings aren't the wrong kind, especially a 32" one. True, driving from L.A. you might have higher expecatations, but a legal ling is way better than nothing. Thanks for the report.

lterrero 10-31-2011 07:15 PM

Thanks for the report trinidude:cool:

trinidude 10-31-2011 10:41 PM

yeah we were happy about the fish they ended up real good after the korean owner of the tackle shop i work at fried them with a korean batter
;)

hook1fred 11-01-2011 07:50 AM

nice job on the lings..... I was out monday and scored a nice one myself, not huge but 27 inches is fine in my book

SquidJig 11-01-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 (Post 99292)
Sounds like a mirror image of our day yesterday, no wind no waves, lake like condiitons, more bait than I have ever seen in one day, lots of lings all short beautiful day though:reel:

I was out Sunday, too. It was a beautiful day, as mtnbykr2 reports. Bait everywhere. Maybe the best part of the day was outfishing Sharon for a change. I've never caught ling cod before so I wasn't sure of what I had. I thought they were green but these weren't. I wasn't sure about the regs either so I just kept the first one, a 24 incher that weighed in at 6 lbs, 14 ozs.

In about an hour and a half, I pulled up two more potential keepers and lost what would have been the biggest, assuming it was another ling. It seems they were schooling under the bait. They bit on live squid, a dead squid and a little greenie. They aren't YTs or WSBs but they still gave me a good time.

I also didn't know how good eating they are. Now I wish I had kept two. It's beautiful fish. Hopefully they'll still be out there on Wednesday.