Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Red Tide--Gone? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=11638)

Kailolo 10-10-2011 06:32 AM

Red Tide--Gone?

Can anybody report on the red tide at La Jolla?
A bad back kept me off the water this past weekend.

MattRabasco 10-10-2011 06:53 AM

Clear outside red inside saw some yellows come up outside lots of bait

gcsasher 10-10-2011 07:46 AM

red tide

Went out on Sat. morning red tide stiil heavy to the north and on the inside butr south looked good, bait everywhere.

ctfphoto 10-10-2011 08:05 AM

The bioluminescence was everywhere a week ago in MB, but on friday night it was gone from the bay????? The rain???

I will be going out to La Jolla on Tue AM to go fishing which is way more fun than hooping. Anyone need some company and want to show me where the YT are? ;)

ratdog 10-10-2011 10:58 AM

was out yesterday didn't see it anywhere, was about 2 1/2 miles off shore very clear and awesome conditions when I got off the water about 12 noon.

PapaDave 10-10-2011 11:28 AM

It was still out at DP saturday, spots of clear but mostly red.

thefisher 10-10-2011 11:37 AM

Still red just past the reserve farther out gets clearer this was saturday.

Tandem Assassin 10-10-2011 02:09 PM

Check out the webcam

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kailolo (Post 97364)
Can anybody report on the red tide at La Jolla?
A bad back kept me off the water this past weekend.

3:09 pm on Monday looks like tomato soup on the webcam..:sifone:

salty pirate 10-10-2011 03:56 PM

thick soup inside of the point. green water outside. water temp 64-65 monday morning:reel:

Monovasia 10-10-2011 05:25 PM

Today out of Dana Point the red tide was pretty much out of sight...a couple of bands from the harbor out to 75 yards....then clear all the way out to the poles....

ChefT 10-10-2011 09:19 PM

Red Tide.....shhhhh....
least of your worries....

Now its the plethora of lobster buoys everywhere....
:the_finger: commercial lobster man :lobster::lobster:

PapaDave 10-11-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefT (Post 97475)
Red Tide.....shhhhh....

Yeah, if you ever wanted to mark the pipeline, just paddle out between the lines of bouys marking it right now. But I kind of like the traps, they seem to attract fish. In fact, there are bouy that have been set on previously unknown to me rock/kelp locations. I am definately gathering intel.

mtnbykr2 10-11-2011 10:46 AM

Intel...good deal, good idea...:reel: I like it, next trip down there I will stop in and say hi...

dorado50 10-11-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChefT (Post 97475)
Red Tide.....shhhhh....

:the_finger: commercial lobster man :lobster::lobster:

Thats how they make their living,catching and selling lobsters!. Use those traps to your advantage! Some of your bigger yt are caught around those traps...:eek:

lbsurf2ca 10-13-2011 02:43 PM

Longest Red Tide in hisorty?:mad:

The Kid 10-13-2011 02:59 PM

Still uber thick:eviltongue:

dorado50 10-13-2011 03:24 PM

This past tuesday LJ waters were deep blue,at least 30' vis. Today LJ (north and south) is very,very sick! Worse I've seen in 12 years. Get well soon:)

Handymansd 10-13-2011 10:16 PM

Fish have to eat too, red tide or no... the surface iron and surface trolling are not the only weapons at your disposal... the yo-yo, while a bit early for the season might prove to be a valuable weapon as it works the water column below the algea blooms... I have it on good authority that it has worked in the last three days...;)

silverbullet 10-14-2011 09:32 AM

Did make for a cool light show last night though... watching bait balls chased by seals. Almost like sitting on top of a lightning storm. Could see huge bait balls swarming and rolling off of children's pool last night. Saw threshers and what had to be WSB chasing or running as we peddled through.

Have seen red tide and florescent before but never watched the LJ light show like that!:eek::cool:

:lobster: all fished out at LJ... 1 billion shorts and eels under my seat. :eek:

taggermike 10-14-2011 10:04 AM

I was out yesterday on a friends boat. The red tide was streaky but covering large areas. Inside was ok and out side was clear and almost blue. I don't know if the RT is some thing to worry too much about because I noticed that it was only a few inches to a foot deep. As our boat drifted it left a wide clear wake behind it with nice water underneith. There was loads of bait and even a spot of chovies getting maulled by birds, dogs, and dolphins. Saw plenty of spots of birds working but no boils and no fish caught for us. Mike