Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HDS-5 Nautic Insight Contour Lines Problem/Question (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10425)

Iparker 06-02-2011 08:51 PM

HDS-5 Nautic Insight Contour Lines Problem/Question

2 Attachment(s)
I just took the plunge and bought the HDS-5 with Nautic Insight. While waiting for the transducer to arrive, I hooked it up to my battery to get acquainted with the system. I soon noticed that the contour lines suddenly disappear in a straight north/south line in LJ and from Dana Point up to central Laguna. Unfortunately, these are the two areas I plan to fish and I see no reason why the contour lines would disappear in either of these two areas. I've tried all sorts of setting adjustments with no luck. I figure this must be some sort of glitch and I've tried it both in and out of demo mode. I've sent the screen shots off to Lowrance. In the meantime, can anyone with this same system confirm they don't have this problem.

Thanks - Ian

wade 06-02-2011 10:45 PM

Whats happened recently is a partnership between the MLPA and Navionics, and have subsequently shut down all charting options on the HDS units to anything remotely adjacent to a MPA....

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!:biggrinjester:

i think the redraw is one of the new bug fix features with the new 4.0 upgrade.

Billy V 06-02-2011 11:08 PM

I've never seen mine do that. I was running 3.0.33.84 until just recently.

Have you checked what application is loaded on your unit ?

Handymansd 06-03-2011 06:18 AM

Mine does it as well...:confused: But I have just put up with it as the unit's Sonar abilities are so much better than my old Garmin 545s!

Please keep us informed as to what Lowrance tells you!

Iparker 06-03-2011 06:20 AM

Mine came with 4.0 installed already, which I thought might be the problem. The MLPA correlation did not escape me. That Laguna wedge looks real familiar. I think I'll stop by West Marine on the way in to work this morning and see if they have a demo unit on. - Ian

Regor 06-03-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iparker (Post 85474)
I soon noticed that the contour lines suddenly disappear in a straight north/south line in LJ ...

Don't need to show contour in that area, cause there are no fish in LJ .... move along ;)

Iparker 06-03-2011 07:57 AM

The West Marine demo has the same problem. Not so sure this is a fixable glitch, which is a bummer because those lines are a nice feature. Can someone with the fish n' chip confirm that the contour lines work in these areas?

Billy V 06-04-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iparker (Post 85506)
The West Marine demo has the same problem. Not so sure this is a fixable glitch, which is a bummer because those lines are a nice feature. Can someone with the fish n' chip confirm that the contour lines work in these areas?

I'll check mine tomorrow.
I have not tested it since I installed 4.0 earlier this week.
-------------------------
I'm curious as to the shapes that do not have contours. They do look a lot like the proposed mlpa reserves. I hope this is not the case.

Please let us know what Lowrance tells you.

GregAndrew 06-05-2011 01:53 PM

I have the same unit and have the same problem. I also have the Fish N Chip which has the contour lines in LJ in 1 foot increments. The contour lines for the Eddison Reef (south of San Clemente) to Rocky Pt. (including Dana Pt.), except inside harbors, is only in 30ish foot increments.

yakrider 06-07-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handymansd (Post 85495)
Please keep us informed as to what Lowrance tells you!

any word from Lowrance yet?

Iparker 06-08-2011 12:36 PM

I have not received any answers back yet regarding the screen shots I sent in and was planning on giving them another day until I followed up.

I'll keep you posted. - Ian