Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   La Jolla 6-5-2021 on the Solo Skiff, new PB (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36372)

FISH11 06-06-2021 09:06 PM

La Jolla 6-5-2021 on the Solo Skiff, new PB

1 Attachment(s)
La Jolla 6-5-2021, New PB Yellowtail. By just less than 1 lb this is my new PB LJ Homeguard Yellowtail. It weighed at the landing 35 lbs 8 ozs (35.5lbs), after being bled at sea and put in my Reliable Fish Bag with 6 frozen water bottles to keep cool before being put on ice to prep today, Enjoying the Collar with some rice. Huge Collar last time I had a 35 Yellow Fin Tuna Collar and they were this size. Yummmmmmm....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pz8LVabeq6I" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AlwaysFishing 06-06-2021 09:37 PM

Awesome YT Mark! Your persistence paid off!

skrilla 06-06-2021 09:41 PM

Just chipped it. Well done congrats!

FISH11 06-06-2021 09:57 PM

Thanks, Guys. I'm worn out from how much work it was to properly clean the large fish and fillet it down and vacuum seal all the meat. The Collars, I grilled tonight and ate one with some rice and saving the other for another dinner. HOoo, it tastes SOOooooooooo GOoooooodddddd...... New PB and New Pictures with the Solo Skiff, new memories. La Jolla, see you ASAP...

matthew7! 06-06-2021 11:03 PM

Awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katchfish 06-07-2021 06:51 AM

Solid Unit Mark :yt:

kayakfisherman 06-07-2021 09:10 AM

Wow Mark, so awesome!!!

FISH11 06-07-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakfisherman (Post 314332)
Wow Mark, so awesome!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthew7! (Post 314327)
Awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:

Originally Posted by katchfish (Post 314330)
Solid Unit Mark :yt:

Thanks guys, I keep an eye on the Magic Sea Weed forecast for Scripps pier and it's been weird all the high wind and sometimes also high surf forecast on multiple days each week. I can't remember such a crazy random changes that sometimes, change for one day to the next. With a lot of guys not having as many days to pick from, they have it a lot worse. Tight Lines

Caseym 06-07-2021 10:44 AM

Yippeeee!

I like that yer in a different area proving that these brutes cruise all up n down the coast! You’re loose jig was freaking me out the whole time. Thatd be ugly to catch a swell wrong and be wearing a treble hook alone on the skiff w a fish hanging. 😬. Nice toad!

FISH11 06-07-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseym (Post 314334)
I like that yer in a different area proving that these brutes cruise all up n down the coast! You’re loose jig was freaking me out the whole time. Thatd be ugly to catch a swell wrong and be wearing a treble hook alone on the skiff w a fish hanging. 😬. Nice toad!

Thanks. The Tady 45 was hanging, because I had been trolling the live greenback on the right and the Tady 45 on the left, since trolling speed is 1.8-2.5 mph at idle. I saw another jelly fish and stopped to get some video. The braid from both rod started to get around the back of the skiff, so I reeled in the jig and had to get the other line from under the motor and was around my transducer on the rear. I had just grabbed the rod and untangled the braid and put the rod back in the rod holder when the line and clicker started to take off. 1 minute or maybe even 30 seconds earlier and it would have been ugly with the braid very likely braking off. Just shows, what I've been saying the last 3 years, it's become about "being in the right place at the right time".

h2ofishfo 06-07-2021 12:23 PM

WTG mark see you out there soon

FISH11 06-07-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2ofishfo (Post 314336)
WTG mark see you out there soon

Thanks Gabe, see you out there. Tight Lines.

JohnMckroidJr 06-07-2021 12:44 PM

Well done Mark, Congratulations on a new PB!! :yt: That Solo Skiff gets moving pretty fast. It sure does cover some ground. I am surprised they let you run it with the motor all the way to the beach. The motorized kayaks in my area must have the engines off before reaching the swimming zone.

Gflann 06-07-2021 02:22 PM

Awesome homeguard YT!

LEEZO 06-07-2021 02:41 PM

beautiful fish. way to go!

C. Cary 06-07-2021 03:31 PM

Nice one! Congrats

FISH11 06-07-2021 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 314338)
Well done Mark, Congratulations on a new PB!! :yt: That Solo Skiff gets moving pretty fast. It sure does cover some ground. I am surprised they let you run it with the motor all the way to the beach. The motorized kayaks in my area must have the engines off before reaching the swimming zone.

Thanks John. The Solo Skiff is awesome for chasing down bird action, boils, trolling different speeds or just to have the advantage over wind chop and high winds, all while getting 24 mpg. The normal top speed depends on water surface conditions. On totally flat water it's the slowest, 11.5-13 mph, the best is when it's just small ripples. Then it's skimming on top and goes 13.5-15.5 mph. The fastest I've had it was coming in with following seas (large rollers) from two slight different angles and it was going 17.3 mph and it was a little sketchy cause with the following sea and the different lift angles from the rollers made it be very steering touchy. The La Jolla Shores Launch is City of San Diego designated surf boat launch. So the City also allows the Kayak Rental companies that pay the City a fee to use part of the area and the rest is were you can drive onto the sand and surf launch. The area is maybe 75-80 yards total and that area is NOT a swimming area, but there are almost always tourist not paying attention and wading into the launching/landing area. People are just clueless, they have their eyes open but don't see anything.

FISH11 06-07-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gflann (Post 314341)
Awesome homeguard YT!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEZO (Post 314342)
beautiful fish. way to go!

Quote:

Originally Posted by C. Cary (Post 314344)
Nice one! Congrats

Thanks guys, it's such a great feeling to hear that Avet reel drag scream like that again.

GregAndrew 06-08-2021 12:57 PM

Loved when you put the rod down to grab the important equipment (the camera) lol. The video looked very familiar, except for the talking. WTG Mark!

FISH11 06-08-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregAndrew (Post 314365)
Loved when you put the rod down to grab the important equipment (the camera) lol. The video looked very familiar, except for the talking. WTG Mark!

Thanks Greg. I still had the rod in my left hand and holding it up to have leverage on the Yellowtail. Hope to see you out there soon, hope you found your important pieces of equipment. Tight Lines.