Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon line as leader (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28493)

FullFlavorPike 03-14-2016 09:59 AM

Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon line as leader

Anybody ever tried it? You can get a 250yd spool of 40# 100% fluoro main line for like forty bucks. According to the wide internet, there are plenty of reasons not to use it, but I would imagine it ties up really well, since it's designed to be a bit more flexible, and it would really encourage changing out topshots instead of trying to get a little extra mileage out of a frayed leader rather than spend $20 on 20 yards of yozuri.

YakDout 03-14-2016 01:10 PM

Ive used the lighter stuff in freshwater. Its pretty good. For the cost its worth to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve999 03-14-2016 02:12 PM

I also tried the lighter stuff for freshwater. Kept having unexpected breakoffs. Then tied a piece of vanish to a lighter weight Berkeley XL monofilament, and pulled on it till it broke. The vanish side broke every time. The mono in the test was 8 lb, and the vanish was 10 or 12. I'd get you the exact number for the vanish, except I can't because I threw it in the trash.

FullFlavorPike 03-14-2016 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve999 (Post 255881)
I also tried the lighter stuff for freshwater. Kept having unexpected breakoffs. Then tied a piece of vanish to a lighter weight Berkeley XL monofilament, and pulled on it till it broke. The vanish side broke every time. The mono in the test was 8 lb, and the vanish was 10 or 12. I'd get you the exact number for the vanish, except I can't because I threw it in the trash.

That's definitely not a ringing endorsement!

If I end up buying the spool, I'll waste forty yards or so doing some extended stress tests and see what happens. Have to break out the scale and measure some quasi-realistic breaking strengths and various lengths and stuff. I found that simply pulling with hands is a non-starter. Even 50# mono is a cinch to snap if you wrap it around your gloved hands and give it a tug. There's just not enough sensitivity there (at least not in my hands) to get a real feel for the line's consistency and real-world strength.

speedydk 03-15-2016 07:52 AM

Blue and Black box? I tried it once and was not happy with the results. I went to using the "professional" version in the gold box it worked out much better and I still use it to this day. For light line applications up to 15lb test. Also make sure you wet your knots before pulling them tight it makes a huge difference on these lines. It took me awhile to figure that one out too but its been fine ever since. Good luck!

taggermike 03-15-2016 08:33 AM

I've used vanish as a leader in 8 and 10lb and it worked well for me. Can't say if the heavy stuff works. Its deffinately tempting to get 200 yards for about the same price as a 25 yard leader spool. Mike

tamddo714 03-16-2016 09:11 AM

I use the lighter stuff as leader. Works well. But for yellows etc I use seguar premier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoned-trout 03-16-2016 06:04 PM

I use it...in various line strengths ..started using in way back in my florida keys days...permit,bone fish mainly..i have a reel spooled with the 40 atm not just a leader...