Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   North Dana Point Mixed Bag (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35579)

Southwest Kayak Fishing 08-02-2020 12:44 AM

North Dana Point Mixed Bag

1 Attachment(s)
We had a pretty good day last Saturday fishing the Strand just north of Dana Point Harbor. The Sheepshead and evening else were biting on shrimp. It was an interesting mixed bag. I caught two Sargo which miraculously turned into some pretty amazing Ceviche.

If you guys enjoy watching these fishing videos please consider subscribing to my channel and hitting the notification bell 😃

Hope you like the video!

https://youtu.be/sxDsvW8nyqg

Oolie 08-02-2020 09:21 AM

Interesting, I thought sargo tasted like mushrooms.

Mushroom ceviche would be interesting.

Harry Hill 08-02-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oolie (Post 309675)

We used to catch a lot of Sargo at the Salton Sea and ate a lot of them. I always thought they were good.

FullFlavorPike 08-02-2020 03:42 PM

That's a pretty fat sargo.

Southwest Kayak Fishing 08-02-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oolie (Post 309675)

LOL It looks like you’ve been missing out but on lighter note you could always go to the grocery store and buy some mushrooms. It would be much less work🤣

Southwest Kayak Fishing 08-02-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 309678)
We used to catch a lot of Sargo at the Salton Sea and ate a lot of them. I always thought they were good.

They were absolutely that good! I made Sheephead ceviche before and I thought that was good as well, but the Sargo was just as good if not better.

My wife’s a pretty finicky eater and she’ll turn her nose up at just about anything. This time she ate most of it. There’s maybe two cup fulls left in the fridge��

Southwest Kayak Fishing 08-02-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike (Post 309687)
That's a pretty fat sargo.

I was pretty surprised as well

dorado123 08-02-2020 06:55 PM

Nice catch !

I fished south DP beach area tried to catch halibut last Saturday
No bite at all
Water is so cold like 59 7am to 12 didn't catch anything

Salty 08-03-2020 11:43 AM

Cool! I was around there on Sunday. Water temp seemed to come up a little bit after the recent drop, but was still reading around 61-64. Got some calico, sandy and little barracuda. Macs were hungry and kept stealing my squid! Kept a couple to troll around with, but nothing bigger was interested.

Southwest Kayak Fishing 08-03-2020 11:57 AM

Well it’s good to see that the water temps are creeping back up. The cold water changed really seemed to slow the bite down.

Hopefully I’ll try again come Saturday. I’ll be heading north again to see if the Sheephead are around.

Hunters Pa 08-03-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 309678)

Sunken City, canned corn. Used to catch so many we would get tired of cleaning them. Never had them as ceviche.

Harry Hill 08-03-2020 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunters Pa (Post 309718)
Sunken City, canned corn. Used to catch so many we would get tired of cleaning them. Never had them as ceviche.

Sunken City, we used shrimp, dipped in batter and fried, good but not near as good as Corvina. We would go to the South Shore and catch stripers in the canals. My brother hooked into one of the Tutuava that F&G planted as an experiment. Easily the biggest fish I ever saw in the sea but it broke off alongside the boat.