Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   8 straight Sundays (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29519)

NICKWORN 07-11-2016 07:35 AM

8 straight Sundays

2 Attachment(s)
I got my second yellow in the Parking lot. Launched at 4:45am hoping to get squid, but forgot my Green Light.:mad:

Landed 6 GB on one drop, soaked a GB on dropper loop for less then 2min and WHAM, the sleigh ride began. Landed this dude around 6:30am

After words I went and played in the kelp with my ultralight bass set up, slayed the calicos too on a greenish Zman swimmer.

:reel:

FISH11 07-11-2016 07:38 AM

Congrats, nice fish.

Dee84cali 07-11-2016 07:59 AM

Nice catch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YakDout 07-11-2016 09:37 AM

8 straight Sundays

My little 100 size baitcaster on my sabiki rod wouldnt even let me bring in 6 macs at once. And the drag stays buttoned on it. Usually I cut it down to 3-4 hooks and alternate so the spacing is better. Macs have been really easy to make recently. Nice yellowtail, which of yanis recipes are you going with? I still want to try his yellowtail poke.

SmokinBass 07-11-2016 10:23 AM

Nice Congrats!!

Sully1 07-11-2016 10:58 AM

Well done!

NICKWORN 07-11-2016 11:31 AM

Collars

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 264986)
My little 100 size baitcaster on my sabiki rod wouldnt even let me bring in 6 macs at once. And the drag stays buttoned on it. Usually I cut it down to 3-4 hooks and alternate so the spacing is better. Macs have been really easy to make recently. Nice yellowtail, which of yanis recipes are you going with? I still want to try his yellowtail poke.

Im gonna try his collars tonight. I struggled to cut them, watched a youtube video on how to but they made it seem easier then it is.

YakDout 07-11-2016 11:32 AM

Ya the collars take a little practice.

NICKWORN 07-11-2016 11:41 AM

sabiki

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 264996)
Ya the collars take a little practice.

I like your idea of cutting every other hook off, after those 6 macs, i had to cut all the way down and only had two hooks, which is pointless. I was lucky though only needed the one large mac.

pingpangdang 07-11-2016 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 264995)
Im gonna try his collars tonight. I struggled to cut them, watched a youtube video on how to but they made it seem easier then it is.

It's a little pricey but better than buying junk every other year....i borrowed this knife to clean a 30# yt from a Japanese neighbor and was amazed on how sharp and balanced it was. This forged knife powered through tough section with ease. Bought a dexter knife but could considerably notice the difference on the amount of extra exertion required.

They sell the global g2s on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Global-G-2-in.../dp/B00005OL44 and at bed bath and beyond. My wife went to japan and just picked up a set there...all her japanese relatives use them.

My dexter I use for de-skinning...g2 for making quick work of yt along with the collars...leave the saw in the garage with this beast. Nice yt. I like hitting the bass too...I can only take so much flylining and dropperlooping for yt. Attachment 19639

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Aaron&Julie 07-11-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpangdang (Post 265000)
It's a little pricey but better than buying junk every other year....i borrowed this knife to clean a 30# yt from a Japanese neighbor and was amazed on how sharp and balanced it was. This forged knife powered through tough section with ease.Attachment 19639

Just to clarify, when you say it powered through the tough section, do you mean it powered through the thick rib bones of a 30lb yellow. I've never had a knife that could that. That would be cool. I get my large fish filleted nicely, but those thick rib bones can be tough to get through. Thanks.

Aaron&Julie 07-11-2016 12:13 PM

Nice fish, congrats!

maquinapescado 07-11-2016 01:07 PM

Not expensive and I have no problem hacking collars out...........

I've had the same one for 14 years or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cu...0%22+forschner

And maybe I need to start fishing on Sundays.

YakDout 07-11-2016 02:33 PM

Worm drive skill saw.

2-Stix 07-11-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 264998)
I like your idea of cutting every other hook off, after those 6 macs, i had to cut all the way down and only had two hooks, which is pointless. I was lucky though only needed the one large mac.

i just reel up after one gets on. i keep 4-5 hooks and pinch all the barbs. yes i loose some, but i don't get tangles or tough releases anymore. just an option.

summers in kuwait 07-11-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 265022)
Worm drive skill saw.

Ha, is there any other way?

Nice fish! And way to hang in there. Nothing beats shaking off a skunk.

FullFlavorPike 07-11-2016 07:25 PM

Even the best knives get dull fast. Then it becomes about your sharpening skills. Even a decent knife can get sharp enough to shave the hairs off your arm if you are good with the stone.

kayakfisherman 07-11-2016 10:44 PM

Did someone say collars? Having a hard time cutting them out?
Check out Fishermansbelly's easy-peasy guide found inside a great
collars recipe: http://bit.ly/1N9iLNe

Good Luck, by the way, NICE FISH!

MITCHELL 07-12-2016 01:29 AM

Excellent......

Fishing :reel:

pingpangdang 07-12-2016 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie (Post 265001)
Just to clarify, when you say it powered through the tough section, do you mean it powered through the thick rib bones of a 30lb yellow. I've never had a knife that could that. That would be cool. I get my large fish filleted nicely, but those thick rib bones can be tough to get through. Thanks.

With ease.. I think the weight, rigidity and sharpness makes it easy.