Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hobie Beach Launch Tips (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35450)

jkim0130 07-01-2020 06:59 AM

Hobie Beach Launch Tips

What is the best way to beach launch a Hobie?

Do you paddle out past the break and then install the mirage drive?

socal.beach.bum 07-01-2020 07:33 AM

Thats the strategy I take. Time the waves, go after the last set then paddle your ass off. Once you commit don’t quit until you are past the breakers, then plug in your drive, stow away the paddles and go.

summers in kuwait 07-01-2020 08:47 AM

I have messed around with a few different methods over the years in the hobie.
I now prefer to walk out about knee high, insert the mirage drive and drop rudder and then hop in and go.

In the past I would always paddle out, but I find with the hull design and overall weight that I get more drive and power from the mirage drive and that helps punch through when there is bigger surf.

Generally launching is much more straightforward unless its winter and the surf is up. Now landing is a whole different story.

If possible, go down to your local beach, with paddle, drive and kayak, PFD and no gear. Spend some time launching and landing, over and over. This can be an awesome exercise and can speed up the learning curve!

Cheers

FISH11 07-01-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summers in kuwait (Post 308699)
I have messed around with a few different methods over the years in the hobie.
I now prefer to walk out about knee high, insert the mirage drive and drop rudder and then hop in and go.

In the past I would always paddle out, but I find with the hull design and overall weight that I get more drive and power from the mirage drive and that helps punch through when there is bigger surf.

Generally launching is much more straightforward unless its winter and the surf is up. Now landing is a whole different story.

If possible, go down to your local beach, with paddle, drive and kayak, PFD and no gear. Spend some time launching and landing, over and over. This can be an awesome exercise and can speed up the learning curve!
Cheers

X2

jkim0130 07-02-2020 05:45 AM

Thanks for the information!

I'll try the drive-in method this weekend.

I'm thinking for landing, I'll take the drive out and rudder up. Assume worst case scenario.

Thanks.

SoCalEDC 07-02-2020 07:03 AM

since I got my outback back in march I have surf launched it a few times, and i prefer the walk out, wait for a long period between the waves throw the drive in, drop the rudder and go.

As mentioned, landing is more difficult and my 2020 outback (I cant speak for the other hobies as i have no experience with them), DOES NOT SURF WELL. I tried to ride a wave in at lj last weekend (with moderate sucess) and idk if its a center of gravity thing or what but the nose wants to push into the water and ends up "digging" if you end up somehow ahead of the wave (ideally you would catch the back of a wave and ride it in). This is probably also because the new nose is sharp and narrow compared to the previous hull design. Anyways in this scenario just ride it until you turn sideways, lean toward the wave and if the kayak starts to go turn over hop out over the side that is opposite of the wave face, by this point you will typically be in 3-4' water anyways. The kayak is stable enough that it likely right it self after your jump, and usually dump you out before it turns over anyways.

FISH11 07-02-2020 10:17 AM

The walk out to knee deep (on wave regression), Jump on and pedal quickly through the surf is the best method and if surf is bigger than 3'-4' than also use the paddle. The only thing I see recommended that I would never do, is have the drive out and click it once in the surf. The drive should have been already installed, leashed and the most important part, HAVE THE BUNGEE ATTACHED to the mirage drive pedal to, to keep the fins against the hull. That should have been done first after the hull is set on the sand. The drive should not come out Launching or Landing. The kayak user should learn when to get their feet off the drive pedals and allow the bungee to do it's job, as designed.

igotpron 07-02-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 308728)
The walk out to knee deep (on wave regression), Jump on and pedal quickly through the surf is the best method and if surf is bigger than 3'-4' than also use the paddle. The only thing I see recommended that I would never do, is have the drive out and click it once in the surf. The drive should have been already installed, leashed and the most important part, HAVE THE BUNGEE ATTACHED to the mirage drive pedal to, to keep the fins against the hull. That should have been done first after the hull is set on the sand. The drive should not come out Launching or Landing. The kayak user should learn when to get their feet off the drive pedals and allow the bungee to do it's job, as designed.

I agree here. But only really recommend for the v2 and v1 drives. The GT and 180 drives do not like getting sand them and require a tear down when sand gets in the bearings.

Now my self have done the wait, Paddle and then insert drive and have had a few failure to launches. The last one I remember was the drive not clicking in both sides, then me messing with it trying to remove an re install and getting pummeled back to shore. Bent mast and torn fin on launch. Very shi77y way to start your morning. Now I only launch with the drive installed and bungeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruntoj 07-02-2020 12:20 PM

I’ll repeat what the others said. I launch with the drive in from about knee deep water and power out with the pedals. Stop for nothing. Pro Angler half-paddle is in hand for backup/turning. Rudder is deployed.

As soon as I’m seated I unbungee the pedals and deploy the rudder. From that point on all movement is forward or in a holding pattern wait for a lull if the timing looks bad. If you get sideways and can’t correct then better to jump out again (assuming you’re still in knee/thigh water) and grab the FRONT of your kayak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SoCalEDC 07-02-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISH11 (Post 308728)
also use the paddle.

4 wheel drive I like it. :D

TheBentRod 07-03-2020 12:22 PM

I would try either method anywhere but Malibu. Leo Carrillo is rocky, Esco is a steep drop off (but may work with drive installed and bungeed). County line riptides make it unpredictable and the extra stuff under the water line can and will turn your kayak In directions that could be a problem if you are not paying attention.

jkim0130 07-05-2020 07:55 PM

Thanks for the tips! I did my first Hobie launch at La Jolla today. The waves were mello and it was an easy launch.

No fish for me. I'm slowly getting back into kayak fishing. It's been over 8 years!

summers in kuwait 07-06-2020 01:32 PM

Some good notes here.
Another point worth mentioning is that you should be aware of the kelp or eelgrass, when its thick on the inside of the surf zone. There have been times when Ive launched and the mirage drive would not work as it was wrapped up. Thats when its handy to have your paddle ready.

GregAndrew 07-06-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBentRod (Post 308754)
I would try either method anywhere but Malibu. Leo Carrillo is rocky, Esco is a steep drop off (but may work with drive installed and bungeed). County line riptides make it unpredictable and the extra stuff under the water line can and will turn your kayak In directions that could be a problem if you are not paying attention.

Same at San Onofre. The shallow reef extends well out into the water, with lots of vegetation to snag anything it can. High tide would give you clearance, but also puts the break closer to the shore.

PapaDave 07-06-2020 03:17 PM

360?

Anyone have experience beaching a 360?

Jxjones 07-09-2020 04:27 PM

Was thinking the same. Waiting for mine to arrive, but am curious to see if it’s any different from launching with an MD 180.