Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fishing this Saturday? LB/ Cabrillo? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9173)

StinkyMatt 01-17-2011 07:58 PM

Fishing this Saturday? LB/ Cabrillo?

Hey guys, we had a fun trip at Dana this Sunday, nice people, nice weather.

Anyone want to go chase halibut and bass at Long Beach on Saturday?

I have not been to LB in a few years, but have had very good results there.

A few guys here fish Cabrillo often for Halibut, it would be nice to get one of these guys to go on Saturday....;) You know who you are.

I REALLY need to bring home a halibut...., the wife is making fun of me!

Who is in?

Matt

wiredantz 01-17-2011 08:15 PM

I'm in, my wife had rice and beans ready to fry whatever i brought home. I didn't bring anything!!!! :reeling:

Ill leave super early!!!!

Ill dive in and shove my hook down that hali throat and then hop back on my yak to reel it in, if i have too!!!

mtnbykr2 01-18-2011 06:30 AM

I'm in...I wanna stay near WD so he can put one on my hook while he is at it...lol...
Matt, I need directions and time, and is there anything around for the wife to do, shops, beach, etc...let me know...see ya...b

ful-rac 01-18-2011 07:12 AM

I'd love to go but...damn....go'in rockfishn to colnett on the apollo this weekend. I'd do both if it were possible.

Fiskadoro 01-18-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 73298)
I'd love to go but...damn....go'in rockfishn to colnett on the apollo this weekend. I'd do both if it were possible.

Say Hi to JJ for me. Great boat great Captain you're going to have a blast.

Jim

StinkyMatt 01-19-2011 12:38 PM

Saturday Cabrillo

Tim, Erick, Bret, Roby, and others,

We will meet at the Cabrillo Beach boat ramp on the protected side of the breakwater by 6:30am. Lets go get them Butts!

Matt

You can google map the LB harbor and the northern end of it is cabrillo.

wiredantz 01-19-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 (Post 73292)
I'm in...I wanna stay near WD so he can put one on my hook while he is at it...lol...
Matt, I need directions and time, and is there anything around for the wife to do, shops, beach, etc...let me know...see ya...b

Long Beach downtown has shops.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ongbeach-1.jpg

GregAndrew 01-19-2011 02:03 PM

I think you can get directions for the Cabrillo Marine Acquarium which is in the sam parking lot.

ful-rac 01-19-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Day (Post 73341)
Say Hi to JJ for me. Great boat great Captain you're going to have a blast.

Jim

Yeah JJ's a great guy, he runs a great operation. Nicest captain you'd ever meet! Sure Jim I'll drop your name...it's not going to get me thrown off the boat is it???:D:D

Have a good time out at cabrillo boys, hopefully the stinkman can get the stink off!

mtnbykr2 01-19-2011 04:10 PM

Thanks WD, I will let her know.
will be there as soon as possible, I got a bit of a drive but I will be there.
what channel will everyone be on if I am late, I probably won't be but...
:reel:

Fiskadoro 01-19-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 73410)
Yeah JJ's a great guy, he runs a great operation. Nicest captain you'd ever meet! Sure Jim I'll drop your name...it's not going to get me thrown off the boat is it???:D:D

You never know.... :D

Actually you'd be surprised... I have a lot of really good friends in the fishing community, especially among serious fisherman who fish boats offshore. Fred Archer and I were talking about it once. He said all this internet stuff is all bullshit, that when you meet a man in person and look into his eyes you can tell if he's the real deal... :D

JJ is certainly the real deal.... Without a doubt.

Last time I fished with JJ was maybe a decade ago, so I doubt he'll even remember me.

It was tuna trip and he stopped well short of the fleet on a mark in the middle of the night. He came down and I was the only guy on deck, we tossed sardines and chunks but only got one YFT up into the lights and I could not get them to bite. Stayed up all night just talking. Great guy, full of info. At gray light it just went ballistic, we never moved and limited out the boat in a few hours.

Two things really stuck out to me from that trip. I had a eight foot sabre rigged with a slosh and thirty that I had tied a 6xjr to. Every time I'd land a bait fish I'd take a break from bait and fish Iron for a while to keep the other guys from getting pissed off. Tried and tried to get bit on it and never had a strike. Ran it on the surface, skipped it, did the drop crank, flutter, yo yo, the whole nine yards.

JJ asked if he could try it, and then in less then a minute he had a fish on. He ended hooking up, and handing off, a dozen or more tuna on my rod that day.

What I'm saying is that the man has serious skills.

The other thing was after we got our limit he did not head in but instead had us tie on marlin jigs and then started hunting Big Eye. He pulled me up top and had me watch the meter with him. Showed me the marks they make and how to work them to get them into the jigs. Never got bit but it was a great thing to see and I learned a lot from him that day.

Most Captains once limited would of just minimized their cost and headed in. Not JJ he gave them the full trip, burned through his fuel, giving them their tuna along with a chance at a real trophy fish.

At the landing he invited me out for drinks, and we shot the shit for hours, over Jagermeister. I was going to unofficially deckhand (deadhead) for him the next day, but my ride got too drunk and backed out at the last minute, so I had to head back to LA.

That was my last trip with him as right after that I got my skiff, and then later started playing around with Kayaks.

In my opinion your not going to find a finer Captain then JJ in the whole So Cal fleet. I think your in for a hell of a trip and I am truly envious.

Sorry for the thread jack. JJ is just such a good Captain, I couldn't help but bring it up.

At any rate, Good luck all!!!

Jim

dorado50 01-19-2011 05:01 PM

I agree "this internet stuff is bullshit" and even though I don't know you I will look you in the eye,,,,:eek: by the way wheres all this paranoia coming from?

paintnfish 01-19-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Day (Post 73423)
I was top stick with maybe twenty or thirty or more fish, and won the jackpot with a 36 pound fish.

What, no pictures ?

tootnpoop

JPSURF 01-19-2011 06:39 PM

I won't THREAD JACK YOU but good luck out at Cabrillo!!!

JP

GregAndrew 01-19-2011 07:00 PM

Talk about the shit getting deep.

bellcon 01-19-2011 07:15 PM

What a paranoid narcissistic fuggin tool...
Oh and we met once, and I looked you in the eye...
they were shifty and nervous, kinda like a mouse or a small rat or maybe a
chihuahua at the pound in a cage with the big dogs.

Stinkymatt,
I may hit Cabrillo this weekend, but no plans yet (I'm missing LJ)
but if you have any questions pm me and I will see if I can help you find your way around the "sewer"

I live 5 minutes from the launch
But GregAndrew is the King of the Cabrillo, he must have hit that "sewer" at least a 100 days in 2010... and got himself the WCW Championship from those dirty butt infested waters
:cheers1:

Fiskadoro 01-19-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellcon (Post 73442)
What a paranoid narcissistic fuggin tool...
Oh and we met once, and I looked you in the eye...
they were shifty and nervous, kinda like a mouse or a small rat or maybe a
chihuahua at the pound in a cage with the big dogs.

Ohhhhhhh Mmmyyyyyy.... You sure don't disappoint. :you_rock:

wiredantz 01-19-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 (Post 73420)
Thanks WD, I will let her know.
will be there as soon as possible, I got a bit of a drive but I will be there.
what channel will everyone be on if I am late, I probably won't be but...
:reel:

I don't have a radio, i need to get one. Ill have a cup and a string. :bigear:

I am going to setup my lines tonight are you guys going to make your own bait or are you bringing frozen bait?

GregAndrew 01-19-2011 08:01 PM

Bait barge about 1/2 mile from launch. $10 kayak scoop with free refills.

bubblehide 01-19-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado50 (Post 73426)
I agree "this internet stuff is bullshit" and even though I don't know you I will look you in the eye,,,,:eek: by the way wheres all this paranoia coming from?

I was going to come back with, wait for it

but obviously I'm much to late; those detractors don't waste any time.