Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Surface Iron/YoYo Setup (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32355)

Steve Max 12-20-2017 02:34 PM

Surface Iron/YoYo Setup

Hey guys, here's a question that I have. I'm wondering what you guys use for your surface iron/yoyo setup. Do you you have a rod and reel combo that you use for both?? What are your "go to" rods and reels? Now I know we are out of the summer months but I keep reading that a yoyo setup comes in handy during these winter months so it makes sense to me to have a rod & reel setup that allows you to do both surface/yoyo. Thoughts???

Thanks for the Response.

Steve Max.

45user 12-20-2017 02:42 PM

I got cousins 909T this past summer and i fell in love with it. I paired it with Lexa 400HD but I’m sure it will work with Tranx 400, Trinidad 16, fathom/torque 25N
Love the feel of this rod and recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summers in kuwait 12-21-2017 05:56 AM

Plenty of good resources online on this subject.

Personally, I use Saltist 35's for both applications with 40 lb mono topshot or straight mono.

My yoyo/jig stick is 6'6" and i opt for a longer 8'+ rod for surface.

I also find a quality spinning combo can be fun to throw surface irons, poppers, etc.

Steve Max 12-21-2017 07:24 AM

Thank you gentlemen and great article by the way....looks like i need to keep my setups separate.....I hope we catch a nice fatty this winter on the IRON....tight lines

Denis_Ruso 12-21-2017 08:47 AM

I have to second that thought. Yo-Yo setups are different then Surface Iron Setups. My preferences, but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

Yo-Yo - Shorter heavier rod with a torquey reel - Like 6'6" 30-60 lb rod with a Saltist or Trinidad reel.

Surface Iron - 8'+ springy rod (helps casting) and comfortable reel to cast all day Lexa 400/ Tranx 400/500

Keep in mind that a lot of fishing gear is by preference. I like to buy gear for the type of fishing I do most.

ratdog 12-21-2017 08:54 AM

I use 30+ yr old Penn Jigmaster. I'm old school and I believe that if you work it consistently and the YT goes by and he's interested you get lucky! In the winter I use the Salas b/w 6x Jr. I bounce it just off the bottom because when I bounce it directly off the bottom I loose it to snags. It's worked for me many times, I'll admit I don't know $hit from Shinola! Hope this helps.

goldenglory18 12-21-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summers in kuwait (Post 289059)
Personally, I use...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso (Post 289066)
I have to second that thought...

+2 here. With my limited history on the subject, I see those two as independent setups. I have a 6'6" XH for yo-yo and an 8' MH for surface casting...