Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fishing King Tide (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=34829)

mikeatumble 01-10-2020 07:23 AM

Fishing King Tide

Looking for some insight here on how fishing is during a king tide.

The tide swing will be huge over the next 48 hours and I am wondering how you all have fared in past king tide conditions. Is the fishing any good or does it just kill visibility?

All of my fishing is inshore on the yak.

Thanks!

DanaPT 01-10-2020 07:53 AM

Fish it and show us?

These days I can only fish when I can fish so go when you can go!

mikeatumble 01-10-2020 08:14 AM

Thanks!

Its things like this that are to blame for 90% of the users of this site browsing and not posting fishing reports or asking questions.

Simple questions are met with "go out and show us" rather than any meaningful dialogue about our shared passion of fishing.

This site has a lot of potential but unfortunately most of the forums are patrolled by a small group of grumpy keyboard gangsters who would rather reply to bust balls than offer insight.

Signing off. Cheers!

RookieYakker 01-10-2020 10:00 AM

Complaining about someone nicely bitching about life and work making them too busy to fish should be left to wives, girlfriends, and I guess maybe the occasional really weird husband/boyfriend.

Too grumpy?

chris138 01-10-2020 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeatumble (Post 304420)
Its things like this that are to blame for 90% of the users of this site browsing and not posting fishing reports or asking questions.

Simple questions are met with "go out and show us" rather than any meaningful dialogue about our shared passion of fishing.

This site has a lot of potential but unfortunately most of the forums are patrolled by a small group of grumpy keyboard gangsters who would rather reply to bust balls than offer insight.

Signing off. Cheers!

I didn't read his reply as grumpy.

Trust me, it's worth it for you to go out if you can. There's YT and WSB in la jolla everyday, all winter long. You just need the time to get out there. In my experience, tides have very little influence on the bite in LJ. Most likely on a king tide there will be some current, whether its the right kind or wrong kind of current depends on lots of other factors relating to the weather patterns in the socal bight. If you can go, go. I'll be out there tomorrow.

Also for what it's worth, this is the "reports" section... not the "ask for reports". You'll get less flack in the discussion section for these types of posts.

f'nsabiki 01-10-2020 12:27 PM

If you'er going to LJ, get there early. The high tide around 9:00 will leave very little beach to work with.

jdvarnold 01-10-2020 01:25 PM

Is it safe? I am planning on fishing the beach outside of Dana but not sure if the current/swell will be too much?

mikeatumble 01-10-2020 02:08 PM

Re: King Tide Fishing

Is it safe? I am planning on fishing the beach outside of Dana but not sure if the current/swell will be too much?

--------------------------------

Apparently this isn't the place for these types questions. We just need to go figure it out.

DanaPT 01-10-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdvarnold (Post 304425)

Launching at baby beach or the ramp is no problem. I cant speak to swellnor interval or address sea sicknes. I dont know the forecast.

DanaPT 01-10-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeatumble (Post 304420)

Signing off. Cheers!

You took my reply wrong. But if your selling your stuff I might be interested.

CardShark 01-11-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeatumble (Post 304426)

--------------------------------

Apparently this isn't the place for these types questions. We just need to go figure it out.

I think you're being way too sensitive, DanaPT's response didn't seem grumpy to me at all.

jdvarnold 01-11-2020 12:01 PM

King tide was a non issue but the cold temperature was lol

King tide was a non issue but the cold temperature was lol

iethinker 01-11-2020 12:09 PM

The outgoing king tide driven discharge of the Del Mar River is what gave rise to the conditions I struggled against and filmed in this video.

video link here

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JEcuInmsGSI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/QUOTE]

IET

DanaPT 01-11-2020 03:48 PM

iet....

You made that look stupid easy.

No thank you!

:notworthy:

tak100 01-12-2020 12:29 AM

I have to say I enjoyed watching the videos.

Where was that river opening you heading into?

stevie951 01-12-2020 10:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 304438)
iet....

You made that look stupid easy.

No thank you!

:notworthy:

Yard Sale Baby... On my malibu I would have eaten it no doubt in those conditions.. Both Going out and coming in.. Those big ones (the one that took your headlamp) Always rock me just enough :cheers1: :eek: Then using the paddle as the break on the way in :notworthy:

Yesterday evening 4p & 9a this morning...

Salty 01-15-2020 02:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeatumble (Post 304417)
Looking for some insight here on how fishing is during a king tide.

The tide swing will be huge over the next 48 hours and I am wondering how you all have fared in past king tide conditions. Is the fishing any good or does it just kill visibility?

All of my fishing is inshore on the yak.

Thanks!

Hey! New here and thought I'd let you know how the fishing was in Dana Point during that king tide! Went solo, peddled out of the harbor around 8am Saturday right around the peak of the high tide. Launched off the docks in the harbor, so it's easy getting in/out no matter the tide. Made my way around the breakwater, passed by the red buoy off Strands and parked in the kelp off the point at Salt Creek. I don't have a fish finder or bait well (YET!), so I was just using some swimbaits. Didn't have much luck until I switched over to a Hookup bait with a little bit of "Hot Sauce" on it. Was pulling in bass through the whole downward swing of the tide after that! Lots of calico in the kelp, and a handful of sand bass near the buoy on the way back to the harbor. Wasn't landing monsters, but I'll share some pics of the standouts.

DanaPT 01-16-2020 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 304460)
Hey! New here and thought I'd let you know how the fishing was in Dana Point during that king tide! Went solo, peddled out of the harbor around 8am Saturday right around the peak of the high tide. Launched off the docks in the harbor, so it's easy getting in/out no matter the tide. Made my way around the breakwater, passed by the red buoy off Strands and parked in the kelp off the point at Salt Creek. I don't have a fish finder or bait well (YET!), so I was just using some swimbaits. Didn't have much luck until I switched over to a Hookup bait with a little bit of "Hot Sauce" on it. Was pulling in bass through the whole downward swing of the tide after that! Lots of calico in the kelp, and a handful of sand bass near the buoy on the way back to the harbor. Wasn't landing monsters, but I'll share some pics of the standouts.

And that's why you go when you can go. Great job, great report. I hope your even more hooked now than before.

Mr. NiceGuy 01-16-2020 07:50 PM

Thinking about perigee and perihelion ....

Before this year I never heard the expression "King Tide" but now everyone's talking about it. I had to look it up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_tide

On the other hand, I remember wild high tides hitting the Marine Room restaurant windows next to the La Jolla launch area pretty regularly each year. I recall reading articles that the restaurant reservations are sold out in advance by people watching the tide charts for these events.