Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   2 speed reel for upcoming tuna trip (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=22764)

janines.fishtales@cox.net 07-27-2014 07:25 AM

2 speed reel for upcoming tuna trip

Hi all. I am going on a trip in September and would like to buy a used smallish 2 speed reel. I have been looking a Shimano TLD 20 series and Avet 2 speeds but don't want to spend that kind of $$ for a new one. Anyone?

Janine

joezee1986 07-27-2014 07:35 AM

avet mxj 2 speed look on bloody decks there's a couple of 2 speeds for decent prices.

Chuck D 07-27-2014 07:51 AM

Tyrnos 8II great little powerful reel

momo fish 07-27-2014 08:09 AM

Not sure when your trip is in September but if it doesn't conflict with my trip I can loan you some of my 2 speed avets. There is spectra on them and you would just need to replace the topshot with whatever size the crew recommends once on the boat.

Let me know the dates as I live up north and could drop off when down in San Diego.

oneyedeer 07-27-2014 10:41 AM

You dont really need 2spd on the smaller reels unless you doing 40lb or above

janines.fishtales@cox.net 07-27-2014 12:16 PM

Nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 201420)
Not sure when your trip is in September but if it doesn't conflict with my trip I can loan you some of my 2 speed avets. There is spectra on them and you would just need to replace the topshot with whatever size the crew recommends once on the boat.

Let me know the dates as I live up north and could drop off when down in San Diego.

What an offer! My trip is 9/22-9/28... When's urs? I don't really have enough need of a two speed other than that trip, so borrowing would be even better!

Janine

janines.fishtales@cox.net 07-27-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneyedeer (Post 201435)
You dont really need 2spd on the smaller reels unless you doing 40lb or above

Ok..Janine

momo fish 07-27-2014 09:04 PM

Mine is around Labor Day. I think I am back on the 3rd. I can meet you at the landing when I return and give you a tutorial on the reel.

StinkyMatt 07-28-2014 06:56 AM

A reel that needs a tutorial..........:D

I got to start buying that fancy stuff!

Big T 07-28-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 201511)

So you can pack more stuff away! LOL Trout and Pike don't require 2 speeds! LOL:biggrinjester:

janines.fishtales@cox.net 07-28-2014 07:29 AM

The specifics

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 201485)
Mine is around Labor Day. I think I am back on the 3rd. I can meet you at the landing when I return and give you a tutorial on the reel.

Ok and I so appreciate the offer. What kind of reel is it so I can YouTube it? Just let me know when and where. I'll be there!
Janine

momo fish 07-28-2014 09:16 AM

Yup and they even come with a DVD now! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by StinkyMatt (Post 201511)
A reel that needs a tutorial..........:D

momo fish 07-28-2014 09:17 AM

I have avet reels. Pretty easy to use just need to show you how to adjust the drag on them. You can search eBay as well. Will be in touch a week prior to leaving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net (Post 201516)
Ok and I so appreciate the offer. What kind of reel is it so I can YouTube it? Just let me know when and where. I'll be there!

Janine

BillzBaitz 07-28-2014 09:54 PM

fished tuna this weekend and we have bluefin up to 60# and didnt need a two speed.. I say use the original two speed lift and get a half turn or whole turn on the reel.

janines.fishtales@cox.net 07-29-2014 08:43 PM

If it works don't fix it i guess...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillzBaitz (Post 201599)
fished tuna this weekend and we have bluefin up to 60# and didnt need a two speed.. I say use the original two speed lift and get a half turn or whole turn on the reel.

I've never owned a two speed. I don't really want to buy one just for this trip. If worse comes to worse, it's the two speed lift! But Mr Momo's offer saved the day. I have one Avet already, but not a two speed. Had it for a couple years before I really figured it out. I like it now though.

Janine

ful-rac 07-29-2014 09:57 PM

Janine you will definitely appreciate the 2 speed. Is it absolutely necessary...no but if you have one you'll be able to fish longer and easier when the action gets hot and heavy. Those bluefin are so unbelieveably strong...they will fight you to death.

born2fish 07-30-2014 04:31 AM

Avet MXL 6/4 MC Raptor with box and the clamp included.. great condition filled with powerpro
asking for $380

momo fish 07-30-2014 11:30 AM

2 speed will come in handy especially on good grades of fish when you can go into low gear and crank that fish in. You will be able to get the fish in faster and be back out with another bait.

There is a reason there recommended by boats and popular to use. Yeah you can use a single speed if you don't have it but then again I prefer not to kill my arms/back and I'm a pretty fit guy.

The offer is still there if you don't find any 2 speeds. I have 40, 50 and 80 pound reels that will cover your needs for the trip. You can use your avet as a 20-30 pound reel.

FlyFishinYakr 07-31-2014 03:26 AM

With this weather and season, if you run into a Bigeye school you'll definitely appreciate a 2-speed. After a trip on the "Prowler" in '91 in which I caught two bigeyes back-to-back w/a 4/0 N [they kicked my butt {It was the last bite & I was finished!} and I was MUCH younger then!] the first thing I bought when I got back home was an original Shimano "Beastmaster" 12/30 (now TLD 30II 2-speed).
That reel has traveled with me on every 1.5+ late season or 5-10 day trip since! :D
Just bought a TLD 20II 2-speed as my Truline D8 40# Mono yo-yo jig & live bait outfit!
Here fishy, fishy, fishy :the_finger:
FFY

janines.fishtales@cox.net 07-31-2014 01:41 PM

I need all the help I can get!

Quote:

Originally Posted by momo fish (Post 201773)
2 speed will come in handy especially on good grades of fish when you can go into low gear and crank that fish in. You will be able to get the fish in faster and be back out with another bait.

There is a reason there recommended by boats and popular to use. Yeah you can use a single speed if you don't have it but then again I prefer not to kill my arms/back and I'm a pretty fit guy.

The offer is still there if you don't find any 2 speeds. I have 40, 50 and 80 pound reels that will cover your needs for the trip. You can use your avet as a 20-30 pound reel.

I would still like to borrow if the offer is still up. I can use the help. I have a feeling this will be the trip of a lifetime!

janine:you_rock: