Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   BUG-REPORT (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35841)

Mike_J 10-22-2020 02:21 PM

BUG-REPORT

4 Attachment(s)
Been out every Saturday since opener. And limited out every trip. Gonna wait until after the time change to go again so I don’t end up coming home at 1am.

:lobster::lobster::lobster:

ProfessorLongArms 10-22-2020 02:29 PM

NICE HAUL. I'm curious how you like those yellow rock crab...
I came across a few outside a commercial trap recently and was sorely tempted.
I wasn't at the time sure about the regs so I made a note to check them when I got home.

45user 10-22-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms (Post 311276)
I wasn't at the time sure about the regs so I made a note to check them when I got home.

Those rock crabs are as good as Dungeness crabs. Surprisingly a lot of meat inside. It’s just kind of hard to crack open the claws.
Nice haul!

Ggiannig89 10-22-2020 04:08 PM

Hell yea nice outing right there!

Mike_J 10-22-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms (Post 311276)

The crabs are great, really sweet meat. Regs are 35 bag limit per day and 4 inch across. if they are anywhere close to 4 inches I throw them back, not enough meat to be worth my effort. 5-6 inches I keep.

A great tip someone told me was to use the back of a spoon as a hammer and just tap the claws. They crack right open, super easy.

Unlike Dungies, they don't have a lot of meat in the legs, most of their meat is in the claws and inside the body. Next time you get one, try it out.

Harry Hill 10-26-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_J (Post 311275)
Been out every Saturday since opener. And limited out every trip. Gonna wait until after the time change to go again so I don’t end up coming home at 1am.

:lobster::lobster::lobster:

I live in Yucaipa, I always get home after midnight, it's a two hour drive home. I may have to try crabbing instead so I get home before dark.

vincentek9 10-29-2020 07:43 AM

Nice haul. I haven't seen a solid number of rock crabs in local long beach for the last 4ish years. The sheep (spider) crab meat is also insanely delicious.

tunaseeker 10-29-2020 10:41 AM

what depth are you getting those rocks at?
SD Bay, seems you have to be out deep at the mouth..

Mike_J 10-29-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunaseeker (Post 311410)
what depth are you getting those rocks at?
SD Bay, seems you have to be out deep at the mouth..

Yea, I get them in 70+ ft of water