Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What Color is your (Primary) Yak? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10601)

addicted2sp33d 06-21-2011 12:46 PM

What Color is your (Primary) Yak?

Just wondering what colors are here...

Thought it might be fun. Maybe a quick description of how you ended up with that color.

I have a blue one, I thought the brighter neon colors (and white) would cause a lot of peripheral glare, and I didn't want to take a chance that Tax Men really were attracted to reds. :eek:

pchen911 06-21-2011 01:32 PM

Never paid much attention to color with regards to what sharks see. Even though my primary is orange, of the 6 kayaks I use for fishing, 2 of them are red.

The theory that red attracts sharks is BS (according to the laws of physics).

Red wavelength cannot penetrate water for more than 15 feet. At a depth or distance of 15 feet or more underwater, anything red simply appears black or gray in color.

A red kayak looks the same as a black or gray kayak to the sharks.

JD 06-21-2011 02:31 PM

for no other reason than safety, the brighter the better! Yellow and orange is really visible. Green's and blue's are harder to spot.

flydigital 06-21-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pchen911 (Post 87218)
Never paid much attention to color with regards to what sharks see. Even though my primary is orange, of the 6 kayaks I use for fishing, 2 of them are red.

The theory that red attracts sharks is BS (according to the laws of physics).

Red wavelength cannot penetrate water for more than 15 feet. At a depth or distance of 15 feet or more underwater, anything red simply appears black or gray in color.

A red kayak looks the same as a black or gray kayak to the sharks.

Agreed... actually, statistics for diver clothing colors show that grey/black is far more popular to the sharks vs red or any other color. Since you are something like 100 times more likely to drown or be blown offshore a bright color makes sense. My kayaks have all been red and I've never seen a shark after many many hours out on the water (at least not during the day!)... I have however seen plenty while surfing or on boats.

FlyFishinYakr 06-21-2011 05:27 PM

Mine is gray. I was drawn to the more neutral color. I agree for safety however I would have prefered a Mango (Malibu color) but my first priority was a larger yak.
Next year, I hope to get either an Outback or X-Factor (unless I find one for sale sooner really cheap).
FFY

GregAndrew 06-21-2011 08:49 PM

Whichever color the best deal comes in.

El Vato 06-22-2011 07:13 AM

I just bought a Neon Green kayak! Haven't caught any fish. Has anyone ever caught fish off a kayak that is this color?? :dontknow::banghead:

DanaPT 06-22-2011 07:41 AM

Mango is good

Easy to be spotted. I figured safety first and stayed away from the cool colors that blend with the ocean (sand, green, blue).

100 times more likely to. . .

I was hoping it would finish like this. . .

100 times more likely to hook-up with a great catch on a yak over those cattle boats.

Willie h 06-22-2011 07:43 AM

The neon green was 200 bucks cheaper than the sand color I wanted... I thought it would be easier to spot diving too.

ChefT 06-22-2011 07:51 AM

Olive...

I really liked the neutral color.
I fly a lil orange flag on the tip of
a unused pole to increase visibility.

lil seal pups love it ...:D
had one damn near jump into my lap the
other day ....:eek: