Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Malibu Pier - Fishable with a yak? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=31046)

goldenglory18 05-01-2017 06:34 AM

Malibu Pier - Fishable with a yak?

I spent a beautiful Saturday afternoon in Malibu with the wifey. We hit the Cafe for lunch and then hung out on the beach just south of the pier. Water was calm, clear, and there were a hand full of paddlers were out. So naturally it made me think.....is that area fishable?

I could see the vegetation from the beach, and the pier structure has to be holding fish. I know LA county is goofy with restrictions, and I've heard the city of Malibu is even worse. Seems like an easy spot to get myself more comfortable with fishing outside of the harbors, if I can do it legally. :reeling:

Thanks as always!

PapaDave 05-01-2017 07:18 AM

You might try calling the DFW, they're usually pretty helpful with info.

defjack 05-01-2017 12:20 PM

I have fished it about 4 or 5 years ago with no restrictions. Easy launch if you are surf challenged.

goldenglory18 05-01-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 278973)
You might try calling the DFW, they're usually pretty helpful with info.

Great idea, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by defjack (Post 278984)
I have fished it about 4 or 5 years ago with no restrictions. Easy launch if you are surf challenged.

Great to hear. The easy/non-existent surf was the first thing I noticed about the water. Being that I'm still a newbie in the salt, I thought this was another great place to get a little more comfortable.

How was the bite?

Hunters Pa 05-01-2017 12:51 PM

My biggest concern would be lines from above.

I would honestly look further from the pier. That areas will be subject to heavy fishing pressure from the shorebound.

But please post up a report if you do fish it. I would love to be proven wrong and see you with a 60# WSB from the shade of the pier :D

defjack 05-01-2017 01:12 PM

You just launch there. And. don't fish around the pier.Fish north or south or straight out plenty of good areas.send me a pm if you want to link up sometime. Jack

Scoot 05-01-2017 07:31 PM

Super fishy area!

goldenglory18 05-02-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunters Pa (Post 278986)
My biggest concern would be lines from above.

I would honestly look further from the pier. That areas will be subject to heavy fishing pressure from the shorebound.

But please post up a report if you do fish it. I would love to be proven wrong and see you with a 60# WSB from the shade of the pier :D

Good call. Maybe it would be a good place to launch, then go paddy hunting inshore. Seems like a chill enough spot to at least do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by defjack (Post 278988)
You just launch there. And. don't fish around the pier.Fish north or south or straight out plenty of good areas.send me a pm if you want to link up sometime. Jack

Probably need to get my electronics up and running but when I do, will do, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoot (Post 278994)
Super fishy area!

...keep talking.... :reeling:

Jizzling 05-02-2017 06:37 AM

I was kayak fishing there a few weeks ago. The back end of the pier is still being rebuilt I believe. As I hung around there I was able to talk to one of the workers there who was a scuba diver fixing the pillars and mentioned that theres a lot of calico bass and a few halibuts hanging around there from what he saw. A few minutes later I get slammed on a brown warbait, but moments after whatever it was spat out the hook. ( terrible hook set by me :mad:) . But that spot is definitely worth fishing for a quick and easy launch.

goldenglory18 05-02-2017 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jizzling (Post 279007)
I was kayak fishing there a few weeks ago. The back end of the pier is still being rebuilt I believe. As I hung around there I was able to talk to one of the workers there who was a scuba diver fixing the pillars and mentioned that theres a lot of calico bass and a few halibuts hanging around there from what he saw. A few minutes later I get slammed on a brown warbait, but moments after whatever it was spat out the hook. ( terrible hook set by me :mad:) . But that spot is definitely worth fishing for a quick and easy launch.

Awesome info, thanks!

Scoot 05-02-2017 07:36 AM

Started my fishing career there! Many legal halibut
Wsb, bonito! Herring all around the pier, back in the day
Now you tell me!?

Denis_Ruso 05-02-2017 07:37 AM

I've actually been wanting to try out this artificial reef out there. Hear there's a lot of Sculpin on it. Let me know if you are ever planning on heading a bit deeper, I'd love to give it a go.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...95&inline=true