Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LJ 11/11 Awesome Day (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=32192)

crashcrow 11-13-2017 08:02 AM

LJ 11/11 Awesome Day

3 Attachment(s)
Couldn't have asked for a better day. Had a little trouble making bait but found a few macs. Lots of floating kelp on the inside made it a bit hard to keep my live bait clean so we headed outside and fished the bottom. Water was clear and 62-63 degrees. A fellow fisherman on a skiff stopped by and unloaded his sardines in my yak on his way in. We fished live bait on the way in and scored a nice Calico to end the day. Everything else was caught on plastics and irons. Had to say it was a good day.

Totals

1 LINGCOD 30"
1 CALICO 17"
8 Nice Reds
1 Keeper Bonita (not pictured, was still on ice)
1 Octopus.

crashcrow 11-13-2017 08:05 AM

Not sure why the pics are upside down...

sdyeti 11-13-2017 08:06 AM

Well Done!

Also, props to the skiff sharing what they didn't use before they went in. That's a super nice thing to do.

crashcrow 11-13-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdyeti (Post 287959)
Well Done!

Also, props to the skiff sharing what they didn't use before they went in. That's a super nice thing to do.

Thank You. I was pumped on the live bait as well! Been having really good luck with the plastics and irons but always nice to have some live stuff.

Ggiannig89 11-13-2017 04:41 PM

Man that’s a great day in my book! That is some good eats. One of those rockfish sort of look like a Boccaccio.

NICKWORN 11-14-2017 06:42 AM

HMMMMM

I was out there Saturday as well and managed some reds,sheephead( female released ) and of course the over populated Bonito school. I did keep a tagged Whitefish which had " reward" written on it, Scripps has yet to return my call. I only saw 2 other kayaks both in PA's. When did you launch? I was fishing 120-160' straight out from the condo on a nice lobster pot.

crashcrow 11-14-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 288000)
I was out there Saturday as well and managed some reds,sheephead( female released ) and of course the over populated Bonito school. I did keep a tagged Whitefish which had " reward" written on it, Scripps has yet to return my call. I only saw 2 other kayaks both in PA's. When did you launch? I was fishing 120-160' straight out from the condo on a nice lobster pot.

We launched just before sunrise and stayed close together all day. I have 2 older Outbacks in a Dodge Diesel. We headed to the pier for bait and then headed west, fished 180-200 feet most of the day. Worked our way to the northwest corner and then back in... I caught a tagged Calico a few years back. They were able to tell me when and where they tagged it and the size. They put your name in a raffle for a gas card for the information.

PapaDave 11-14-2017 09:14 AM

Nice catch!

crashcrow 11-14-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 288011)
Nice catch!

Thanks Dave! I had a blast. Still haven't caught a yellowtail from my kayak in all these years but I'm having fun catching everything else!

dos ballenas 11-14-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NICKWORN (Post 288000)

Cool tag recapture!

The researcher from Scripps that answers these kinda calls is out of town this week at a conference. He will be in touch soon I bet....

I might be able to put you in touch with another person before then that can get you the taggin data. Let me know via pm.

Owyn

Aquaholix 11-15-2017 07:07 AM

Nice catch, great day! Blessed we are.
That ling tho... Got me all jelly over here, been years since I've seen one in LJ.

jlabs63 11-16-2017 07:48 AM

Awsome Day for Sure...

That is about the biggest ling Ive seen in LJ! I was out last week and got some decent reds. What jigs / plastics do were you using for the ling? Were you due west of the pier?

crashcrow 11-16-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlabs63 (Post 288074)
That is about the biggest ling Ive seen in LJ! I was out last week and got some decent reds. What jigs / plastics do were you using for the ling? Were you due west of the pier?

:jig: a heavy one of these in bird shit color. About 220feet bouncing off the bottom.