Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1st time hitting MDR (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35250)

socal.beach.bum 05-24-2020 03:57 PM

1st time hitting MDR

Original plan was to chase some Bonitos at Kings harbor, but was told due to idiots not listening to guidelines and over crowding yesterday they closed up the parking lot today. So ended up hitting up MDR with my pops. First time for the both of us. Water was nice and warm, not much sign of life inside the harbor. Pulled a few short Hali’s inside the harbor mouth break wall as well as some other by catch.

Drifted for a few hours before calling it a day. Ended with a few short Hali’s and short calicos.

On the way in I noticed a lot of the boaters there are total A-holes. They speed right next to you in their giant ass boats with no care of who’s around. My pops ended up getting rolled because some asshat thought it was ok to cruise on by at above posted limits. He ended up losing a setup and some gear. Not the best way to end the day.

If you head out this weekend, pay attention to the goons and stay safe.

daperrin 05-24-2020 04:09 PM

Not cool.

fishkiller951 05-24-2020 05:54 PM

That sucks. Sorry for his loss. Deal with a-holes all the time not obeying the no wake.

Salty 05-24-2020 06:32 PM

Lots of asshats in their boats in DP this weekend too. Friday with the high surf and major wind-chop combined with this guy's massive wake would have definitely dumped me if I hadn't been watching and punched bow-first through the breaking wave it made. Would have been interesting 3 miles off shore and solo... Sorry about your dad. Not fun. Wish there were classes and required training for people that own boats, specifically focusing on how to not be a tool.
On the plus side, at least you got to pull on some fish!

greenscales 05-24-2020 07:19 PM

1st time hitting MDR

Glad your dad was ok. Wonder if it was the same gene pool of those who shut down the 405.

So was the closure a Karen response by RB and it will not be open tomorrow, wagging the finger for people having too much fun? Or was the overcrowding the primary reason and should be open tomorrow? Don’t want to drive the hour to turn around.

I spent hours over the last week trying to get info on parking rules (time), etc. from RB and all the agencies bounced me around, and they were closed Friday. Never got a straight answer. Nothing posted on any city website that I could find either. Do you also know the hours the lot is open? And do you have to vacate before closing?

I’d be content launching late and fish sunset to sunrise if allowed.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tak100 05-24-2020 07:54 PM

When I tell people I go fishing in the ocean with a kayak that all ask me if I am afraid of sharks. I laugh and say I am afraid the idiots in their new boats. Much more dangerous. I am glad nobody got hurt.

I went out of Cabrillo Beach today. Parking and the beach was open. Plenty of people sitting on blankets and chairs right next to the signs that said no sitting so no telling how long it will last. You can fish in the harbor or go outside. Kelp on both sides.

I am usually a little sore the next day but I am already feeling it tonight. Sitting around for a few months, no kayaking, no gym is tough on the old bones.

Hope you find a place to fish.

socal.beach.bum 05-27-2020 12:36 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes.

On a separate side note my dads FF got fried in the dump. If anyone is upgrading and wants to part way with theirs. Let me know, money’s tight but want to get my dad something so he’s not out there fishing blind.

Thanks

jruiz 05-27-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum (Post 307331)
Original plan was to chase some Bonitos at Kings harbor, but was told due to idiots not listening to guidelines and over crowding yesterday they closed up the parking lot today. So ended up hitting up MDR with my pops. First time for the both of us. Water was nice and warm, not much sign of life inside the harbor. Pulled a few short Hali’s inside the harbor mouth break wall as well as some other by catch.

Drifted for a few hours before calling it a day. Ended with a few short Hali’s and short calicos.

On the way in I noticed a lot of the boaters there are total A-holes. They speed right next to you in their giant ass boats with no care of who’s around. My pops ended up getting rolled because some asshat thought it was ok to cruise on by at above posted limits. He ended up losing a setup and some gear. Not the best way to end the day.

If you head out this weekend, pay attention to the goons and stay safe.

Did you get their CF number? If a boat throws a wake at you and causes you monetary damage, they are liable to pay for the damages.

socal.beach.bum 05-27-2020 01:43 PM

Wish I had known that, would have chased him down, but sadly no. I was more concerned about helping my dad get back into his kayak.

SoCalEDC 05-28-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 307453)
Did you get their CF number? If a boat throws a wake at you and causes you monetary damage, they are liable to pay for the damages.

woah had no idea about this.

SoCalEDC 05-28-2020 07:35 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad day

Good luck finding a new FF for your pops. Hopefully the incident didn't sour you guys too much on getting out there again soon.

socal.beach.bum 05-28-2020 08:53 AM

Nope, we both fully understand shit happens. I plan on being out again this weekend. Maybe hit up NPH this time.

Hunters Pa 05-28-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 307453)

If you see it about to happen try to get video as evidence. Otherwise, without witnesses, it can become your word against theirs

AnglerBob 06-05-2020 10:42 PM

I fish MDR and have noticed the speeding boaters lately too. Since Covid there are fewer people out there and apparently law enforcement can't be bothered. Totally sucks it ended up in a dunking. You definitely have to keep an eye out for boat wake there and it can be tough to focus on fishing.