Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2015 outback hoop net carry idea (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=35777)

45user 10-04-2020 07:22 PM

2015 outback hoop net carry idea

Does anyone carry their hoop nets on bow of an outback?
If so how do you do it? DIY hoop net holder?
Thank you in advance!

socal.beach.bum 10-04-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45user (Post 310958)
Does anyone carry their hoop nets on bow of an outback?
If so how do you do it? DIY hoop net holder?
Thank you in advance!

Was out on the water with the fleet of kayak hoopers last night and I saw quite a few outbacks with homemade pvc pipe racks. Not sure exactly how they secured it to the bow but I assume bungees. Saw a few mount it in the stern and it looks like they made it so they can insert into the molded rod holders in the rear. Hope that helps.

45user 10-04-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum (Post 310960)
Was out on the water with the fleet of kayak hoopers last night and I saw quite a few outbacks with homemade pvc pipe racks. Not sure exactly how they secured it to the bow but I assume bungees. Saw a few mount it in the stern and it looks like they made it so they can insert into the molded rod holders in the rear. Hope that helps.

I was out at redondo last night. I saw some examples but couldn’t get a closer look. I did a quick search on YouTube but no luck
How did you do last night? Between my buddy and I we caught 8 lobster and 2 rock crabs.
Thanks!

socal.beach.bum 10-04-2020 09:00 PM

I landed 5, buddy grabbed 4. Called it quits around 9. Between the two of us we probably pulled 60+ shorts. Many just by a hair.

kwest10 10-04-2020 09:45 PM

Only carry on bow. Square pvc rack. Basically bend forward and lift out. If you can’t do a sit and reach then it might be tough

DanaPT 10-05-2020 09:02 AM

PVC for sure...

1 Attachment(s)
I used 1/2 inch. Made it so the PVC rack sits inside scupper holes in the rear. The bungees help keep it secure too. make the rack holder a little bitter than the nets and as you cut and glue follow the contour of the kayak.

Used the same rack on my 2017 that I did on my 2010. Only upgrade would be to use 3/4 inch. I think more secure.

I thought I had a diagram or picture if I do I'll post.

TJones 10-05-2020 10:25 AM

hoop net placement

Have you tried throwing them on top of a Hobie bait tank? Or even a vittles vault for that matter.

45user 10-05-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 310968)
Have you tried throwing them on top of a Hobie bait tank? Or even a vittles vault for that matter.

So I mounted my safety flag on the lid of the rear hatch and it’s blocking and not giving enough space. So I thought I’d try to carry it in the bow
But I may have to move the flag to somewhere else and carry the nets in the back
Thank you!

45user 10-05-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 310966)
I used 1/2 inch. Made it so the PVC rack sits inside scupper holes in the rear. The bungees help keep it secure too. make the rack holder a little bitter than the nets and as you cut and glue follow the contour of the kayak.

Used the same rack on my 2017 that I did on my 2010. Only upgrade would be to use 3/4 inch. I think more secure.

I thought I had a diagram or picture if I do I'll post.

Thanks for the reply! So this sits in the back of the kayak right?
Thank you again!

LEEZO 10-05-2020 11:22 PM

yes, it sits in the back with the rear scuppers and works very well. i checked mine today and 3/4" PVC is actually what i have for my outback and PA14. Good Luck!

DanaPT 10-06-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 310968)

I noticed as they stack with ropes and floats the mass eventually rides too high for my liking. With the rack in the rear, the first 3 nets with ropes and floats fall to the bottom and the other two fit nicely. A half turn to retrieve and replace is all it takes.