Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   eye damage (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21592)

William Novotny 04-09-2014 12:27 PM

eye damage

I think I got a bit of sun damage to my eyes yesterday out on the water. Started feeling strained about mid day and still sore today. I'm pretty good about wearing my shades on the water but I think the cheap gas station sunglasses don't offer up much protection from uv. Anyone else experience this?

I always seem to break or lose expensive glasses so I buy the cheap ones. Now I'm reconsidering. Problem is, it's very hard to find shades that fit my face and look good. Wide head. I don't want to spend a large chunk on costas or maui Jims if I don't like the style or fit. Any big headed anglers have some suggestions on brands and styles that work for you? Something tuff enough that won't damage easily or cheap enough to be replaced when they get scratched. I'm rough on shades.

wiredantz 04-09-2014 12:33 PM

My doctor told to always wear polarized sunglasses.

Fishin Phil 04-09-2014 12:37 PM

I have been in your shoes from too many hours on the water. I wear prescription polarized sunglasses and it still kicked my butt. After a day you will feel better. Try Costco for some regular polarized sunglasses they will fit to size.

octico 04-09-2014 12:38 PM

I have a wide head too I use the polarized Serfas Cycling sunglasses. You can get them at local bike shop. They are local too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

ful-rac 04-09-2014 12:43 PM

maui jims .

Drake 04-09-2014 12:47 PM

I always wear Hobie Polarized, mainly because I get them 60% off, so I own 5-6 pairs. Even at full retail the Boneyards and Encondidos are well priced. They fit my fat face and the polarization is great.

For an even cheaper option, check out Blenders. They are local in La Jolla, cool guys (my roommate went on a date with the owner) and I believe in supporting local. I own three pairs.

http://www.blenderseyewear.com/collections/sunglasses

USE THIS CODE AT CHECKOUT: 4EA54A0YJ624
for 40% off

William Novotny 04-09-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 189757)
I always wear Hobie Polarized, mainly because I get them 60% off, so I own 5-6 pairs. Even at full retail the Boneyards and Encondidos are well priced. They fit my fat face and the polarization is great.

For an even cheaper option, check out Blenders. They are local in La Jolla, cool guys (my roommate went on a date with the owner) and I believe in supporting local. I own three pairs.

http://www.blenderseyewear.com/collections/sunglasses

USE THIS CODE AT CHECKOUT: 4EA54A0YJ624
for 40% off

I'll check those out. I like supporting local whenever possible.

Chuck D 04-09-2014 01:11 PM

Costas=$

TJones 04-09-2014 01:13 PM

Problem is, it's very hard to find shades that fit my face and look good. Wide head. [/QUOTE]

That is gonna be a tough one . :D .
I will buzz you when back in town , or let me know if you come down south . I will update you on price for part .

jruiz 04-09-2014 01:18 PM

A wide brim hat. My recommendation is below

http://oi41.tinypic.com/1ernls.jpg

CheapPelican 04-09-2014 01:28 PM

I read somewhere that having a brightly colored kayak causes more eye strain because of it reflecting more light towards you. I know, this doesn't help you any, but whatever.

William Novotny 04-09-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jruiz (Post 189762)
A wide brim hat. My recommendation is below

http://oi41.tinypic.com/1ernls.jpg

That doesn't help with reflective light from the water. I'll need the hat and a large dog cone

William Novotny 04-09-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJones (Post 189761)
Problem is, it's very hard to find shades that fit my face and look good. Wide head.

That is gonna be a tough one . :D .
I will buzz you when back in town , or let me know if you come down south . I will update you on price for part .[/QUOTE]

Yeah hit me up

FISH11 04-09-2014 02:45 PM

A couple times going out to La Jolla I forgot my sunglasses in the car. Tends to happen when you launch in the dark or early and foggy. After a day out on the water it felt like I had burned my eyes, gives you a headache and around your eyes it's kind of swollen. I too don't buy expensive glasses cause I'll sit on them or loose them. I buy mine at Big 5, they always have some brands on sale, usually around $40. They have more expensive brands too. I prefer Bolle, Body Glove, Gargoyles, Mauii and Nike. Always get with UV protection and polarized. Last pair I bought was Berkley Fishing Glasses at Walmart for like $19 and they work good.

FlyFishinYakr 04-09-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 189751)
I think I got a bit of sun damage to my eyes yesterday out on the water. Started feeling strained about mid day and still sore today. I'm pretty good about wearing my shades on the water but I think the cheap gas station sunglasses don't offer up much protection from uv. Anyone else experience this?

I always seem to break or lose expensive glasses so I buy the cheap ones. Now I'm reconsidering. Problem is, it's very hard to find shades that fit my face and look good. Wide head. I don't want to spend a large chunk on costas or maui Jims if I don't like the style or fit. Any big headed anglers have some suggestions on brands and styles that work for you? Something tuff enough that won't damage easily or cheap enough to be replaced when they get scratched. I'm rough on shades.

Remember penny wise, pound foolish! :(
Ask an optometrist the damage the sun does to your eyes with the type of fishing we do! Cataract surgery is expensive along with loss of eyesight. :(
I have "Flexon" frames (unbreakable), and transition lenses and polarized lenses on each @ $350 per but never had eye strain and no current damage to my eyes.
As for losing them I treat them like my keys, a place for everything and everything in it's place. My fishing glasses I keep in my Fly fishing bag my shooting glasses in my shooting bag.
Just my .02 :cool:
FFY

TJones 04-09-2014 03:28 PM

Priceless information

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr (Post 189805)
Remember penny wise, pound foolish! :(
Ask an optometrist the damage the sun does to your eyes with the type of fishing we do! Cataract surgery is expensive along with loss of eyesight. :(
I have "Flexon" frames (unbreakable), and transition lenses and polarized lenses on each @ $350 per but never had eye strain and no current damage to my eyes.
As for losing them I treat them like my keys, a place for everything and everything in it's place. My fishing glasses I keep in my Fly fishing bag my shooting glasses in my shooting bag.
Just my .02 :cool:
FFY

:iagree:. When I was a juvenile , my problem was I misplaced my glasses after :sifone::canabis: .

maui jim 04-09-2014 03:30 PM

Maui Jims.... No Ka Oi :cool:

Siebler 04-09-2014 03:32 PM

Smith Elite glasses are awesome. Milspec glasses with Z87 lenses, i havnt even scratched them yet and have been abusing hell out of them. Crystal clear and are definitely better for eyes than cheap glasses

William Novotny 04-09-2014 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm gonna shop around and see who has frames that fit.

Jimmyz123 04-09-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Novotny (Post 189751)

I'm horrible with sunglasses. I usually buy the ones at Walmart by Berkely. $15 and they last a long time.

If I don't wear these while on the water my eyes water like crazy the rest of the day and even into the next. Best recommendation I can give you is to place a cool compress on your eyes. 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off and get really good rest.