Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cradel Robber (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10456)

bigbarrels 06-05-2011 07:05 PM

Cradel Robber

Went fishing today in LA Jolla and was in search of some YT. Bait was easy to come by in the early morning. Must have peddled 10 to 12 miles and didn't see much in way of surface activity. Stopped by the kelp around 1230 and while taking a leak with my life jacket unzipped and my waders down, I watched a sealion buzz by and then the line took off about mid way through taking care of my business......I figured it was the sealion..... grabbed the pole and felt some shakes and shortly after had this barely legal guy yak side......measured up, legal, and my freezer was on E for WSB so I decided to take it......This WSB was a lot of first for me: 1. my first WSB caught with my waders down (many other fish caught while taking a leak) 2. my smallest WSB 3. first for me this year 4. the first on the new YAK......filleted out nicely and vacuum sealed for 6 meals for my wife and I...........I think I smell something in the oven.......I hear the small guys taste better:)
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...WSB_6-5-11.jpg

Iceman 06-05-2011 07:24 PM

I have kept a few that size. The guy who keeps a 12 pounder compared to a guy who keeps a bunch of 50 pounders, who impacts the fishery more......food for thought, with a crisp penko coating :D

flydigital 06-05-2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbarrels (Post 85744)
Went fishing today in LA Jolla and was in search of some YT. Bait was easy to come by in the early morning. Must have peddled 10 to 12 miles and didn't see much in way of surface activity. Stopped by the kelp around 1230 and while taking a leak with my life jacket unzipped and my waders down, I watched a sealion buzz by and then the line took off about mid way through taking care of my business......I figured it was the sealion..... grabbed the pole and felt some shakes and shortly after had this barely legal guy yak side......measured up, legal, and my freezer was on E for WSB so I decided to take it......This WSB was a lot of first for me: 1. my first WSB caught with my waders down (many other fish caught while taking a leak) 2. my smallest WSB 3. first for me this year 4. the first on the new YAK......filleted out nicely and vacuum sealed for 6 meals for my wife and I...........I think I smell something in the oven.......I hear the small guys taste better:)
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...WSB_6-5-11.jpg

Congrats! That WSB is fine, perfect table fare!

Regor 06-05-2011 07:53 PM

Yum!

Congrats.

jorluivil 06-05-2011 08:08 PM

Makes it easier to cook.....I think.

Whizz Bang 06-05-2011 09:23 PM

Congrats on dinner. I have been on a very long skunk streak and hooked up with another little fellow (JP thinks 20 lbs... I have been telling people it was 25lbs.) last night. I was fishing the WSB tourney and it was my first bait with all night left to fish. I CnR'ed it and regret it now. I want ceviche and it would have paid off a bit it looks like....sad when the WSB championship is won by a 30lb fish. Sorry for the hijack. Well done, it is always nice to feed the family if I remember correctly.

Vikingj 06-05-2011 09:42 PM

Nice job! ..and with your waders down (is that kinda like one hand tied behind your back?). Advantage is quicker to fillet and takes less freezer space.

yakrider 06-05-2011 09:57 PM

6 meals is 6 meals no matter how you slice it!
I was talking to a friend of mine about seeing some WSB one day...
he said, in a discouraged voice, "yeah I only saw a couple 15 or 20 lbers"...
I reminded him that there are many of us who would absoulutely love to catch a 15 or 20 lber...
that's still a good fish!
oh how spoiled we become when thar's big uns around...
they all end up the same sizeon the dinner plate!
enjoy those meals!:you_rock::cheers1:

StinkyMatt 06-05-2011 10:23 PM

Congrats. Saw you out there, nice day on the water.

12, 20 or 50....Eat 'em up!

THE DARKHORSE 06-05-2011 11:27 PM

Well done, Tom.

It looks like a giant White Sea Bass...only smaller! :)

tagyak 06-06-2011 07:14 AM

for the rest of us who are still 0fers (0 for 10); only two things matter most, 1) catching WSB, 2) meeting 28" size limit.

after the stink is off for awhile then we can talk about too "small" or my freezer is full :biggrinjester:

congrats on your fish, it sure looks good to me

kurtfish 06-06-2011 08:58 AM

Looks Like a Hubbs Fingerling to me

I hope you save the head for Mike Shane at Hubbs to check-out. One that size may have been released just a few years ago.

Enjoy your dinners and thanks for sharing your pee pee tale,

Kurtfish,

GregAndrew 06-06-2011 02:17 PM

I hope you got it all on video? :biggrinjester: Title of the pic could be WSB visits the yellow fountain. If it is legal, I will probably be keeping my next WSB (if there ever is a next).

FARRIER 06-06-2011 02:55 PM

"I think it's a seal".....quote of the day.

driftwood 06-06-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 85750)
I have kept a few that size. The guy who keeps a 12 pounder compared to a guy who keeps a bunch of 50 pounders, who impacts the fishery more......food for thought, with a crisp penko coating :D

I hear that size matters. I'll take 50lb :D

roadx 06-06-2011 04:09 PM

nice fish :cheers1: looks like a keeper to me, congrats!

Limits 06-06-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagyak (Post 85785)
for the rest of us who are still 0fers (0 for 10); only two things matter most, 1) catching WSB, 2) meeting 28" size limit.

after the stink is off for awhile then we can talk about too "small" or my freezer is full :biggrinjester:

congrats on your fish, it sure looks good to me

x2. I'd rob that craddle anytime.

bigbarrels 06-06-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FARRIER (Post 85838)
"I think it's a seal".....quote of the day.

Yeah Patrick, Classic......I thought for sure it was the seal that blew by me......my bait got yanked 4 times by seals yesterday.......thanks for the photos and hanging out fishing for the day:reel:

Thanks to everbody for the congrats on a scrapper:you_rock:

Kurtfish, I did not even think about saving the head on the little fella but have done that with my prior WSB and will continue to do so in the future....thanks for the reminder!!

PAL 06-07-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Congrats on dinner. I have been on a very long skunk streak and hooked up with another little fellow (JP thinks 20 lbs... I have been telling people it was 25lbs.) last night. I was fishing the WSB tourney and it was my first bait with all night left to fish. I CnR'ed it and regret it now. I want ceviche and it would have paid off a bit it looks like....sad when the WSB championship is won by a 30lb fish. Sorry for the hijack. Well done, it is always nice to feed the family if I remember correctly.
I was pulling for you guys in the tourney. Considering the heaviest WSB was only 30, and Trompas nearly won it all with a 36-lb YT pulled out of LJ, any three of you could have won it.

Since it was your first bait and the limit is still 1 WSB, it was good strategy to let it swim if you were in the WSB optional. The decision cost you about $75 plus a pair of Costa del Mars - with only three guys the basic kayak division wasn't worth much. The $100 WSB optional brought in roughly $1,800.

I hear someone caught a BIG biscuit Saturday pm. Any confirmation?

herefishyfishy! 06-09-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 85750)

I shot my smallest WSB ever a couple weeks ago, just over 30 inches. It still tasted delish!