Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LJ 6/28 PM (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=2221)

madscientist 06-28-2007 10:05 PM

LJ 6/28 PM

Beautiful afternoon on the water. Launched at 4:30 and found greenies right at the can, then spanish at the hump. Cruised out to the kelp. Lots of galloping bait. Worked along the edge for a bit when the flyline started buzzing. Weird bite, thought for sure it was a shark. Swam at me at first, making me really think it was a mako, then it turned and the fight was on. Little scrapper found a couple of stringers but the spectra made short work of that. Stuck this 14lb 7oz spunky bastard.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...4/IMGP0274.JPG

Worked back in towards dark. Saw squiddy looking marks after dark but couldn't get any humbolts to stick. Surprisingly easy high tide landing.

jackpotjoe 06-28-2007 10:27 PM

Its all good

Nothing wrong with a little maguro. Nice job. Joe:yt:
www.californiacarpetpros.com

aguachico 06-29-2007 05:35 AM

Good job on th yt Brad. Nice seeing Dave (wavster) still plugging away even after such a good baja trip. I love summer LJ.

nunyabizness1 06-29-2007 06:25 AM

Sounds like a nice time out there. Are the evenings busy at LJ or quiet? I'm wondering what time of day seems to have a better bite, morning or evening? Do you notice a difference? I'm very new to all of this and have enjoyed LJ but have only gone in the morning. I'd like to try going after work sometime.

Thanks,

Maggie

Holy Mackerel 06-29-2007 06:58 AM

Nice :yt: , I need to start getting on one of them thar PM shifts!

gary sullivan 06-29-2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nunyabizness1 (Post 15289)
Sounds like a nice time out there. Are the evenings busy at LJ or quiet? I'm wondering what time of day seems to have a better bite, morning or evening? Do you notice a difference? I'm very new to all of this and have enjoyed LJ but have only gone in the morning. I'd like to try going after work sometime.

Thanks,

Maggie

I check the daily cattle boat reports for the Seaforth and Islandia half day trips to get a hint on the AM PM bite. Here is a link to that report.
http://biteson.com/newlandings.html

BBrown 06-29-2007 07:19 AM

Nice YT. Glad to hear they are still out there. I am hoping to learn a thing or two before they move off.

wavster 06-29-2007 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrown (Post 15295)
Nice YT. Glad to hear they are still out there. I am hoping to learn a thing or two before they move off.

I'm still waiting for them to move IN...

Holy Mackerel 06-29-2007 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBrown (Post 15295)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavster (Post 15297)
I'm still waiting for them to move IN...

They never leave... ;)

wavster 06-29-2007 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel (Post 15298)
They never leave... ;)

I know... they just avoid me. :D

madscientist 06-29-2007 08:01 AM

I don't pay too much attention to the sporty's counts. We catch far more fish than they do, often when they are getting nothing. As for time, it depends. Sometimes the AM is hot, other times the PM, sometimes both. PMs usually are more windy and choppy and bait can sometimes be tricky. Night surf landings can be more exciting as well, though it typically mellows a bit as the wind dies. The worse part is usually finding a parking space during the summer. I think I had to park in a different zip code last night. Given a choice, I prefer the AM conditions and the PM crowds.

aguachico 06-29-2007 08:56 AM

Launching in the afternoon is an adventure. Parking sucks, the rental companies think they own the beach. The rental yaks are getting hammered, but it's all worth it with so much eye candy. :D

Candy for you also Maggie :rolleyes:

Maybe we can get a WCW on the beach photo contest going :eek:

Hey Ken, can I get a witness on "draining the yak" last night :notworthy:

tylerdurden 06-29-2007 09:38 AM

All I did tonight was take pictures of Brad's fish, oh well I got my fish earlier this week :D. Great weather and good friends make for a good pm shift. Stayed out into the darkness looking for the humbolts that never showed up:rolleyes:.

rastrev 06-29-2007 10:42 AM

Nice one Brad!
:cheers1:

Jimm H 06-29-2007 03:23 PM

It looked like an afternoon bite...

...When I was out in the AM. Saw YT finning right at first light, but no interest in the jig. One cast and they swam off. Tides and moon phase told me to go in the afternoon, but work only allowed me the am shot Thursday.

Art's right: this time of year is great in the afternoon on a weekday.... Parking, rental clowns, tourists, eye candy, and that landing in the dark!

gary sullivan 06-29-2007 04:36 PM

Just got a report at 5:30 P.M. from a friend off the New Seaforth that caught a yellowtail. The boat was fully loaded and they brought in 12 yellows. He said the birds were crashing and the current was pulling hard to the north. They were fishing a good ways out, maybe a 45 minute paddle from the launch. Looks like things are turning around.

nunyabizness1 06-29-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madscientist (Post 15302)
I don't pay too much attention to the sporty's counts. We catch far more fish than they do, often when they are getting nothing. As for time, it depends. Sometimes the AM is hot, other times the PM, sometimes both. PMs usually are more windy and choppy and bait can sometimes be tricky. Night surf landings can be more exciting as well, though it typically mellows a bit as the wind dies. The worse part is usually finding a parking space during the summer. I think I had to park in a different zip code last night. Given a choice, I prefer the AM conditions and the PM crowds.

Thanks for the response. I guess I am going to have to try an afternoon trip on a weekday. I plan on going out on Sunday morning at LJ and hope the bite this week is better than last week. I ate WSB for lunch today at the Fish House in Mission Valley. First time ever trying it and it was sooo good! Hope to catch some out there on Sunday if I am lucky enough!

I appreciate all your responses and help!

DBITE 07-02-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with a little maguro. Nice job.
FYI: :yt: = Hamachi