Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   kayak age requirment??? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=9763)

basskillah1496 03-23-2011 08:51 PM

kayak age requirment???

Does anybody know of any age restrictions on kayaking

wiredantz 03-23-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basskillah1496 (Post 79261)
Does anybody know of any age restrictions on kayaking

I take my 3 year old out with my on a kayak with a life vest of course

fishsouthcounty 03-23-2011 10:00 PM

im assuming hes probably referring to operating one solo. I know ive seen kids that definitely didnt look any older then maybe 13 or 14 paddling around the harbor by themselves. Granted that doesnt mean its lawful.

How old are you basskillah?? i could imagine at the worst it would be 16 with out supervision??

speedydk 03-24-2011 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not aware of the "legality" but I fish with both of my sons and they both have their own yaks (strictly in harbor) been that way since last year they were ages 7 and 12. I stick closely by the younger one but the older brother he's good to go. It amazes me to watch the older one sometimes, they learn so quickly. I was really surprised when my seven year old started casting a baitcaster last year. I started the boys by getting the older one his own and the younger one went with me on my X13 (gotta love the gator hatch for that!) but last year the younger one started paddling his ocean kayak Kea. This year I bought the Revo and now they both "compete" for that. The younger one usually wins out since he's not a very strong paddler.

Jimmyz123 03-24-2011 05:03 AM

I don't believe there are any restrictions because it does not have a big motor on it. You're biggest restriction is getting from your house to the water if you don't have a car.

MuddyMike 03-24-2011 06:09 AM

According to this, it seems like age restrictions start at boats more than 15 hp, or sailboats greater than 30 feet... although seems weird if a 5 y/o is allowed to operate a 15 hp boat without supervision.

Quote:

How old do you have to be to operate a boat?
No person under 16 years of age may operate a motorboat of more than 15 horsepower, except for a sailboat that does not exceed 30 feet in length or a dinghy used directly between a moored boat and the shore, or between two moored boats. The law allows persons 12-15 years of age to operate motorboats of more than 15 horsepower or sailboats over 30 feet if supervised on board by a person at least 18 years of age. A violation of these provisions is an infraction.

maui jim 03-24-2011 06:23 AM

Depends on the parents, and water skills......my son has been hunting with me (with shotgun, and hunter safety card) since he was 8 and kayaking (with vest and swimming classes) since 6....:D

Cant say mom was not worrried though....:cool: