Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Great Whites dont like plastic... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=8091)

driftwood 08-17-2010 07:55 PM

Great Whites dont like plastic...

GW don't like the taste of plastic.

If a GW takes a bite of your kayak, relax take a picure and you will have a great story to tell on your next campfire.

Kayaker's account fuels worries about sharks off San Diego coast
News 8 KFMB - 2 hours ago La Jolla.

old_rookie 08-17-2010 08:27 PM

If a GW bumps hard enough to push the bow up out of the water, it has me wondering about going out.

Whizz Bang 08-17-2010 08:59 PM

If this keeps the weekend warriors away Im all for it.....thank you shark week.

Tman 08-17-2010 09:37 PM

Tag the dog on the nose...

Agree with Driftwood...once they taste plastic, their curiosity is over...

They try to nibble on your yak, one good whack on the nose sends any big dog fleeing...esp with a tapered, flexible object such as a rod tip.

Just don't expect to get your lure back...:sifone:

Willy 08-17-2010 10:12 PM

Lol!

Doesn't mean they wont try:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...100817914.html

:eek:

SeaEagle_1 08-18-2010 12:43 AM

that is the 3rd white shark attach (curious?) i have read about this week! the other guy was doing a trek to all of the oil rigs in his protest for the gulf oil spill and was attacked after leaving the last of the oil rigs on his trip.

more whites in the water.... or more yakkers on the water.... maybe we will see a decline in the seal population!!!! one can only hope!!!

Bob Madore 08-18-2010 04:20 AM

Once the Great White starts trying to tip people out of yaks to eat them we have a pretty big problem.

All it will take is for one of them to learn the trick.

Aaron&Julie 08-18-2010 05:50 AM

Didn't hear about the Bay area kayaker. Smart to wait it out with his kayak upside down, before trying to flip it back over.
Saw the full write about the Gaviota State beach white. I wouldn't say relax, and just take pictures though. The teeth marks top and bottom will cost the man some $$$, but at it least it didn't cost him his life. Might have cost him his right foot on other sit-on-top types. His had a hard cover on top, just for the feet, which is where the white hit.
I definitely would be using the paddle in hand to slice for the nose hit.

-scallywag- 08-18-2010 05:56 AM

I'm not sure sharks have the capability to "learn", but just to be safe it's probably a good idea to stay out of the water until the sightings stop...I hear the bay is nice this time of year.

Riskey Water 08-18-2010 06:13 AM

What do exspect when you enter the food chain ,and we sre definitely not at the top .Better not go hiking and camping ,I heard that there are lions and bears ,oooohh I'm scared. Food Chain .at least he came out of it OK

j mo 08-18-2010 06:19 AM

they have always been around...

GW's have always been around. Every year there are reports on the spearboards of GW sightings. In 09 a 150 lb pup was caught off LJ by a fly fisherman ( who happened to be targeting sharks). They have caught massive adults of Blacks and Little Waimea over the last decade and have taken up permanent residence in N County too.

They have always been "around", shark week heightens fear as does the ability to post a report or image on a social networking sight and get your account broadcast to the world and whip up the fear. As much as I’d like Children’s Pool back, I don’t think that’s going to impact the shark population much.
<O:p</O:p
<O:p
But while we are on the subject of scary La Jolla shark tales, The tale of poor Robert Pamperin is my favorite.<O:p
<O:p

Robert Pamperin (33) Killed while freediving for abalone in La Jolla Cove by what is estimated to be a 20-foot (6 m) plus length Great White. His body was not recovered, and witnesses described him being swallowed whole, feet-first
If you think about it the tax man could just eat you off you kayak like an oyster shooter, feet-first

Here is the whole account: http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.pamperin/33/mb.ashx

driftwood 08-18-2010 06:29 AM

If you look and act like prey you must be prey and you will be prey.:eating:

the dude 08-18-2010 07:06 AM

hope none of them figures out that there's a snack on that cracker....

WahooUSMA 08-18-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the dude (Post 62906)
hope none of them figures out that there's a snack on that cracker....

LMAO

wavster 08-18-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j mo (Post 62904)
But while we are on the subject of scary La Jolla shark tales, The tale of poor Robert Pamperin is my favorite.<o></o>

Here is the whole account: http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.pamperin/33/mb.ashx

I can't believe the guy was wearing a pink bathing suit. He must
have looked like a giant skirted squid...RIP.

Zed 08-18-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftwood (Post 62885)
GW don't like the taste of plastic.

Try the iron.

Oolie 08-18-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

"just two miles off the coast of La Jolla Shores"
LOL

CurtyL 08-18-2010 11:06 AM

looks like I'll be mounting my trusty k-bar, drop palm style, on my PFD just in case. you never know.:(

maui jim 08-18-2010 12:33 PM

Poke em' in the eye with a sharp stick...... wack a mole em'....

kurtfish 08-18-2010 12:48 PM

Pink better than Black

J mo, Thanks for the great link. I was not familar with all the circumstances of that sell docuemented atttack. If that diver had been aware of all the occurances in the area I bet he would have let the Abs rest that day. I am passing on fishing LJ this week as I am preparing for the World Bodysurfing Champioships at Oceansdie Pier this weekend. I anyone else is staying on the beach this weekend you might consider stopping by as the competition can be viewed from the pier.

Thanks again, Kurtfish