Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The $5000 Pro Angler (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=34278)

GTboosted 07-09-2019 07:48 AM

The $5000 Pro Angler

Hobie just announced the Pro Angler 360 series. Fins that retract so they wont break and now you can turn on a dime.

$4650 for the 12 and $4800 for the 14. So overt 5k after taxes.

Typically I have no problem with their prices, I bought 3 new Hobies. You always see people saying you could have got a boat. Well, we are not getting a sea worthy boat for $3k. Then you have maintenance and all that.

At the new $5k price you are getting close to the used small skiffs prices. I also never broke a fin, and never really needed to turn on a dime out in the ocean (besides being deep in a kep). So idk, it looks like it will be a hard sell. But then again Hobie has been a premium brand so who knows....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9Srz73LoE

Iceman 07-09-2019 08:33 AM

Sticker shock for sure, Hobie is pretty smart and would not make this kayak if it was not going to sell. I admire their ingenuity! Non 360 PAs will still be an option too.

Quote:

• Dual Rudder Steering: rudder control handles are located on both sides of the boat, for dual steering capability.
  • Maneuvering with the 360 Drive: a handle located above the left-side rudder control handle allows you to change the direction of your MirageDrive and fine tune your course to literally any degree of the compass, instantly. An arrow indicator on the Drive shows you which way the Drive is pointed. Ultimate boat control!
    • The fully rotational drive retains 360-degree maneuverability while in shallows even when the fins are completely up against the hull.
  • Kick-up Features:
    • Fins! The 360 Drive mast link system causes the turbo fins to kick-up on impact with underwater obstacles such as rocks, logs, kelp, etc., and they automatically redeploy when the obstacle has been cleared and pedaling has resumed. This feature will significantly reduce the chances of damage to the drive, such as bent masts.
    • Rudder and Skeg also Kick-up, and also automatically redeploy.
  • Injection-Molded Drive Well is specially designed to house the 360 steering mechanism. Because of the necessary well modification, the 360 drive is not retrofittable to the original Pro Anglers, or any other Mirage-driven product.
  • MirageDrive 360 Weight: 9.5 pounds of pure performance and versatility!
  • Ergonomic Carrying Handle built into the 360 Drive makes it comfortable and easy to handle.
  • 360 Drive Insertion/Removal: The steering system effortlessly engages with the Drive in the well upon insertion. The Click and Go is positioned at the rear of the well for easy removal of the Drive from the well.
  • Pedal Crank Length Adjustment couldn’t be any easier with new trigger pulls, featuring eight adjustment points to allow even more fine-tuning for those in-between leg lengths.
  • Exclusive Color: A boat this unique requires its own defining color. The 2020 Color Option is Arctic Blue Camo, a striking look that will have a strong appeal to outdoor sport enthusiasts no matter their chosen activity. And one SKU per model makes it easy to inventory.
    • Safety Flag Kit is included as standard equipment on the PA 360 Series.
  • Standard Equipment: All of the great features found on the MD 180 versions of the PA 12s and 14s, including the Guardian transducer mounting system, are standard on the PA 360 Series.

Iceman 07-09-2019 09:14 AM

and on the other end of the spectrum the $1299 Passport are selling well for me :D

stevie951 07-09-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTboosted (Post 301889)
So idk, it looks like it will be a hard sell. But then again Hobie has been a premium brand so who knows....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9Srz73LoE

You said it yourself.. People will fork over the cash for the brand name.. The sport is progressing... So there will be more and more wooks coming out of the wood works interested enough and with the budget to drop 6k just to resell after a couple of trips because it wasn't for them :P

RK 07-09-2019 10:29 AM

Hobie has a great group of minds/fisherman behind them that know what they're doing, they'll sell just fine, and kill lots of fish.

ful-rac 07-09-2019 03:10 PM

I like it!

I wonder if I can get good guy pricing...? ;)

Iceman 07-09-2019 03:34 PM

A Tony post just trumped the release of the 360! I got one ordered for you! :D

GTboosted 07-09-2019 04:51 PM

Bruh! you guys will talk me into getting one after my back heals

Reminds me of the release of the OB. I talked shit and now I have one

tacmik 07-09-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ful-rac (Post 301901)
I like it!

I wonder if I can get good guy pricing...? ;)

For you, $6,000 and you will take it

jacksonbigtuna 07-09-2019 07:55 PM

New AIs are 5k and way more versatile

scisports 07-09-2019 09:27 PM

Wow, 5K? I’m glad I got my mirage 180, good enough.

Gotta ask, what is an AI?

YakDout 07-10-2019 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scisports (Post 301913)
Wow, 5K? I’m glad I got my mirage 180, good enough.

Gotta ask, what is an AI?

Adventure island

jorluivil 07-10-2019 02:35 PM

I'm sure Tony will be the first one to get one, once he does I can borrow it and save a ton of money

PapaDave 07-19-2019 09:22 AM

I like the 360 idea. But to be honest, an outback can make that tight turn as well.

jbl_91762 07-27-2019 07:03 AM

Post should have said 360 lol. but I just learned about this new yak and agree with many that $5k is a tough one to swallow. Of course a few out there have money to spare and will get one and cant blame them. But know that the future of Hobie and what they develop is always top notch and innovative so prices will hopefully drop for older models if they continue to make em or go the other way and be price itself out for many.

Entropy 07-29-2019 03:24 PM

To be honest 5k is a lot for a kayak, but they spend a lot of money on R&D. You can find a used small boat for close to that, but I don't think that's the point of kayak fishing.

There are two type of kayak fishermen, those who do it because it is cheaper than buying a boat, and those who do it because they love the sport. I think the majority of kayak fishermen, specially fishing on saltwater are of the second type. I personally love being on a kayak and fighting fish from a kayak, it gives me a feeling of freedom being on a boat I don't get. It is also a lot more challenging.

The 5k Hobie will sell. There are a lot of high earners out there who are getting into kayak fishing. I personally love my OK prowler 13, I like how light and it is, I like to paddle, and its secondary stability is superb. I feel in control when I am on the prowler, it is very responsive, I didn't feel that when on a Hobie. The Hobie felt flat to me, and I felt too high off the water. They have an amazing primary stability, and I am sure secondary is good as well, but I just didn't feel I would be able to dynamically react and maneuver on a Hobie when the second stability kicks in on rough waters. Also having a paddle on a narrower kayak is much easier to go through surf than on a Hobie, if the kayaker is experienced. I am of course, biased, and have many years of experience paddling on the ocean (not fishing). And I have never experienced bringing a really big saltwater fish to the kayak, so can't speak for that!

I wouldn't pay 5k for a Hobie, but I am sure many people would. They serve a market that not other Kayak company does yet.

Holy Mackerel 08-02-2019 12:18 PM

5k, way cheaper than any boat! (At the end of the day):D

@ Andy, or anyone else, what are your thoughts for the Passport vs Compass for places like Gonzaga?

mrJB 08-02-2019 02:53 PM

Sorry 'bout that...

… but for roughly $3200 including tax you can have a new Solo Skiff and a new Tohatsu outboard. And your not stuck with additional overpriced add-ons: $58 for rod holders, $350 and up for bait tanks, etc. Really...

Iceman 08-02-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel (Post 302657)
5k, way cheaper than any boat! (At the end of the day):D

@ Andy, or anyone else, what are your thoughts for the Passport vs Compass for places like Gonzaga?

I think the Compass would be a better choice and more than enough for Gonzaga.........now when are we going? October!

Holy Mackerel 08-03-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 302660)
I think the Compass would be a better choice and more than enough for Gonzaga.........now when are we going? October!

Cool, yep Oct, post 15th tax season:cool: