Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tue/Fri Fish Report and Fish ID (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=10880)

Chuck D 07-16-2011 06:50 AM

Tue/Fri Fish Report and Fish ID

2 Attachment(s)
So I went out tue and got some candy to drop down in about 120ft off the kelp line and ended up getting a bit by something off my flyline squid. I felt it herk and jerk but it seemed to come quietly to the yak. Reeled her in and it was a nice size Yellow. I almost got my gaf in him after a 2 min lull to the surface, no dice. This sleeping beauty saw my gaf and zip zangled all the way to Mexico. I did end up bringing him in 20min later. 27 lbs, sleeper fish. Great day.

Friday was a little different. Bait everywhere and I mean everywhere, birds were having a field day. I go two massive barracuda and a 5ft blue shark which was circling my kayak for about an hour before he decided to eat my favorite glow in the dark jig. Didn't get pics of those guys, but am curious as to what this fat black guy is. Got him off the bottom, I think he is some sort of Perch, what do you guys think?

mtnbykr2 07-16-2011 08:18 AM

looks like a great time, I used to fish for blues at anacapa, biggest was estimated 13 ft and change a blast to cnr...you got me on the pig bottom species, I am sure we will know shortly:reel:

Dennis 07-16-2011 08:45 AM

Blacksmith

Chuck D 07-16-2011 03:52 PM

Blacksmith, that's it! Thanks Dennis!

Dennis 07-16-2011 04:26 PM

They both are toads.. congrats on the Yt. Cuda were out in force last Monday (throughout the entire water column). I had to change my leader three times... it sucked.

steveooo 07-16-2011 05:25 PM

Nice YT Chuck! Congrats :cheers1:
My half arse guess is blue perch (half moon)

Dennis 07-16-2011 05:59 PM

Yeah, that's what I mean... Blue perch. :p. Steve is right. :luxhello:

Chuck D 07-16-2011 07:51 PM

Oh, ok Blue Perch. That makes more sense seeing that Blacksmiths eat zooplankton and this one ate a whole squid and my jig. Are they edible?

kurtfish 07-17-2011 11:43 AM

Nice Job Chuck

Chuck, Nice fish, That is the biggest blue perch I have ever seen and the Yellowtail is not too bad either. I hope to see you and your lovely lady on the 31st at Hubbs BBQ and silent auction. Captian's meeting on the 29th, www.hswri.org

Take Care, Kurtfish

Chuck D 07-17-2011 03:03 PM

Thanks Kurt! Monster Perch, lol! I will be dropping off my entry form and a Seabass head next week. Game on!

Aaron&Julie 07-17-2011 03:10 PM

Very nice yellowtail, indeed, and one of the biggest Blue Perch I've ever seen caught. They sometimes go by Catalina Blue Perch, but you can catch them in other places, too. I don't particularly like them to eat, but prepared right they are probably decent tablefare. Great fighters on light tackle, though.
Aaron

Regor 07-17-2011 04:06 PM

Nice YT!

Saw you out there on Friday, there weren't many of us out there once the bite turned off - How do you know that? The place was packed, then an empty parking lot.