Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Big Bay Day (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=19666)

bosshoss 09-27-2013 05:00 PM

Big Bay Day

5 Attachment(s)
So my buddy and I launched from Shelter Island around 6 am. Started splashing swim baits, and curl tailed grubs along the way as we drifted west with the tide. Caught lots of spotties along the grass beds .

Crossed over the bay next to North Island and continued our drift out to sea.
Trolled n trolled big swimmies hoping to hit one of Todd's Hali holes. Never happened..

Tide turned around 10:30 filling in the bay and set us up for another drift along North Island as we drifted back towards Shelter Island. Caught the usual suspects again. Spotties and a couple what we think were Cabazon..

Played Frogger crossing the channel back to Shelter Island. Followed 2 guys that were also kayak fishing back into the launch area and guess what, they had a huge hali they caught out at the mouth of the harbor on sardines...

Hey Todd I think they caught your hali you were looking for yesterday. :doh:

Just another great day with a cool bud out on the Big Bay...

Aaron&Julie 09-27-2013 06:21 PM

Sounds like a decent day on the water. Love you icon symbol.

Dail14 09-27-2013 07:57 PM

I think that is a sculpin. Not a Cabi. Good eating but beware the spines on the fins.

todd one 09-27-2013 08:09 PM

Yeah go ahead, rub it in why don't you. Nice fish, how big. I know they're still out there. It's nice to see some reassurance though. I'll be out there Sunday morning before the Cowboy game.

William Novotny 09-27-2013 08:20 PM

Good to see you handling that rattlesnake with care. As stated already they are tasty but a poke frim them is quite painful and in some cases for people with allergies worse

William Novotny 09-27-2013 08:22 PM

Oh and fyi the legal size limit is 10" with a daily bag of 5

Amish Ed 09-27-2013 10:11 PM

Sounds like a fun day. How bad the reaction to getting stuck all depends on the individual. I got stuck by one under one finger tip and under my fingernail. Almost passed out about 20min later. Soaked it in hot coffee and felt much better. The finger that got it in the nail bed was numb for close to a month. I also knew a guy who could poke himself on purpose and never feel a thing.

bosshoss 09-28-2013 05:40 AM

Hey all, I think you all are right. They were sculpin....I forgot that Cabi's look more like lings...:o This is a result of posting after fishing all day....Only excuse I could come up with ...LOL

Todd I would say that Hali in the pic was about 40 or so inches..Not sure what that equates too for the weight...Lets just say, a bunch...