Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Sail Bay - Weekend of 1/6 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12344)

Drake 01-10-2012 11:47 PM

Sail Bay - Weekend of 1/6

Hit the Bay a lot this weekend. Had some good action. Hit a lot of spotted bass on some "Spotty Special" hammer swimmers with a "Sexydine" War Slayer weedless head and got a nice one on a larger 5" Bay Smelt Hammer swimmer
The War Slayer heads are a little pricey, about $4/ea for the big ones and $6-7a pair of 1/2oz depending where you get them, but they're definitely worth it. I found Charkbait to be the cheapest so far. Dana's Landing is just obnoxiously over priced for them

Caught a nice little Halibut on a 5" Sardine Hammer as well, sent him back to the bay for someone else. Lost a few tails on my plastics to some Halibut too, I feel like they need a stinger. So at least I know they are out there. Nice late bites too. Been having some fun while the swells were still around!

Have fun, tight lines
Message me if you want to go, I'll be out there all week.

Don't mind the sunglasses, I couldn't find mine so I borrowed my roommates, who thinks he's Kanye.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...694400_n-1.jpg
The one on the right taped in at just over 12''
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...001416_n-1.jpg

jorluivil 01-11-2012 12:06 AM

How's this for expensive?

<TABLE style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><FORM method=post name=OrderItemAddForm action=/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/OrderItemAdd><TBODY><TR><TD id=productImageInfo>http://a1672.g.akamai.net/7/1672/116...P135689927.jpg
View Larger Image

</TD><TD id=productPurchaseInfo>Big Hammer Swimbaits 5" Sardine

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=productRating>
(No reviews)
Be the first to
Write a Review

</TD><TD>submit a review for a chance to win $1,000</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>In StockUsually ships in 1-2 business days
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">Our Price:</TD><TD id=productPrice colSpan=2 noWrap align=right>$1.39

</TD></TR><TR><TD id=shippingSellingPoint class=hide4Intl width="100%">Shipping: (Free on most orders over $100*)</TD><TD id=shippingCost class=hide4Intl colSpan=2 noWrap align=right>$6.95</TD></TR><TR><TD id=salesTaxSellingPoint class=hide4Intl width="100%">Sales Tax:</TD><TD id=salesTax class=hide4Intl colSpan=2 noWrap align=right>$0.00</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="PADDING-TOP: 3px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=productFinalPriceText class=hide4Intl width="100%">Your Final Price:</TD><TD id=productFinalPrice class=hide4Intl noWrap align=right>$8.34</TD></TR><TR><TD id=productPartNumbers width="100%">Manufacturer # 572146
Our Stock # MP135689927

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></FORM></TABLE>

silverbullet 01-11-2012 07:22 AM

I think he meant the weedless jig heads.....

Drake 01-11-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbullet (Post 104753)
I think he meant the weedless jig heads.....

I think HE was referring to you having to pay $7 to ship 1 hammer swim bait lol

fishsouthcounty 01-11-2012 10:15 AM

nothing like paying 5xthe cost of your purchase in shipping.

those Warbait slayer heads are pretty killer though. Picked some up at FHLB last year and have bought a few at hogans in Dana Point since. Havent lost one yet fishing heavy kelp vertically or casting to snags in the kelp. Definitely worth the price i think. Sounds like your having fun...but do yourself a favor and dont post this one on BD.

Drake 01-11-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty (Post 104765)
nothing like paying 5xthe cost of your purchase in shipping.

those Warbait slayer heads are pretty killer though. Picked some up at FHLB last year and have bought a few at hogans in Dana Point since. Havent lost one yet fishing heavy kelp vertically or casting to snags in the kelp. Definitely worth the price i think. Sounds like your having fun...but do yourself a favor and dont post this one on BD.

Obviously! There will be 40 boats out there =/

fishsouthcounty 01-11-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 104767)
Obviously! There will be 40 boats out there =/

referring more to the photo

Drake 01-11-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty (Post 104773)
referring more to the photo

In what regards....

fishsouthcounty 01-11-2012 11:39 AM

lots of guys on BD dont take to kindly to take home of spotties. they usually dont have a problem telling those who do. just not worth the hassle to deal with their shit.

Drake 01-11-2012 11:55 AM

Had no idea, thanks for the info. I usually C&R my bass, but my buddy was in from out of town took him on the yaks and he got pretty stoked to catch some fish. Had to show him some good homemade tacos. :rolleyes:

sasha 01-11-2012 01:28 PM

What is the problem with people that take home legel spottie???

Siebler 01-11-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake (Post 104777)
Had to show him some good homemade tacos. :rolleyes:

Howd those turn out? Ive eaten a few spotties when I first started kayak fishing, Must say I dont think the fish tacos would be that good. Always tasted like Mud to me. Interested to know your experience.

RK 01-11-2012 03:31 PM

you kept a spotty

silverbullet 01-11-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty (Post 104775)
lots of guys on BD dont take to kindly to take home of spotties. they usually dont have a problem telling those who do. just not worth the hassle to deal with their shit.

:rolleyes: Lots of the BD guys are Jackasses... there are some decent folks too but that site is a mess with special kids :stupid:....

RK 01-11-2012 03:33 PM

not trying to be a dick but Ive never known anyone that did that.......

what do they taste like? (that was a serious question)

Drake 01-11-2012 04:04 PM

I pan fried them with some lemon pepper, olive oil and white wine and found it rather delicious. I brined them in a salt/lime cilantro brine for a day.
I didn't think it was the best fish by means but certainly not mud

thefisher 01-11-2012 04:08 PM

That brine sound awesome!

StinkyMatt 01-11-2012 04:36 PM

I had a "old timer" at newport tell me once that keeping bass there is illegal. When I told him that its not my first time fishing and that he is full of it, he went on to lecture me about protecting god's creatures "spotted and calicos) Man I felt like I was in church!

Some guys get really wound up about certain fish.

You want to keep a few bass go for it, the last hing we should have (ESPECIALLY NOW) is fishermen telling other fishermen what they can fish (legally).

.....Now keeping WSB.......thats straigt wrong.....shame on anyone that kills those gentle creatures.:D

fknricter 01-11-2012 04:55 PM

nice job out there!

a F&G guy once told me that spotties can be a bad fish to eat because of the toxins in most of todays california bays, compared to halibut that migrate in and out. ive eaten them many moons ago, but heard that, and started C&R more around that same time too, that recipe does sound pretty good tho! may have to barrow that sometime.

kobra 01-11-2012 05:37 PM

Nice sized spotties.