Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Stand Up Paddle Board Guy. La Jolla 9/19 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=27102)

Gar 09-19-2015 02:39 PM

The Stand Up Paddle Board Guy. La Jolla 9/19

1 Attachment(s)
New to the forum here and just started fishing from my SUP a few months back. I've met a few of you folks out there but can never remember your names. Quick report: Made bait in the kelp, 15 greenbacks. Fly lined a greenback and about 100 meters from the kelp hooked into a chunky one. Total of 3 YT's for the day and a bunch of Bonito.

I also got knocked off my board by something big out there. One of you kayakers came out real quick like to lend a hand... I appreciate it. Didn't see what it was. Could have been a dog. Also, here's a quick video from Thursday when I met the hammerhead. It's a short clip but he wouldn't leave me alone for 15-20 min. Kept bumping the back of my board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaBsX0AmZkw

Good to see the YT's back again.

PescadorPete 09-19-2015 03:03 PM

Right on Gar, great 1st post :you_rock:.

I like the minimalist approach of the SUP.

CU on the water.

~~~pete~~~

Gar 09-19-2015 03:17 PM

Thanks PescadorPete. I just kinda made do with everything I already had to test it out... so far I've seen no reason to get any fancier/more expensive. Don't hesitate to say hi if I'm out there... I'll most likely be the only one on a SUP that far out.

DanaPT 09-19-2015 05:32 PM

That's serious... I tried 1x in the harbor and said no way.

About fell over trying to cast.

Huge brass ball swimming with sharks. :notworthy:

Gar 09-19-2015 05:57 PM

DanaPT, Been surfing my whole life so a 12ft sup feels like a barge out there to me... well until I get bumped off anyway.

eekamouse463 09-19-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gar (Post 242411)
DanaPT, Been surfing my whole life so a 12ft sup feels like a barge out there to me... well until I get bumped off anyway.

Nice to meet ya on the water today bud! Im the Asian guy with the blue hobie you saw this morning!:you_rock::reel:

Gar 09-19-2015 06:49 PM

Yeah I remember you... one of the very few guys with a Hobie that's not brown or tan! Like I said, I'm terrible with names but I think I can remember "eekamouse" pretty easily. Hope you slayed 'em today!

1morehobby 09-19-2015 06:52 PM

You are ballsy. That is a great picture. The Coast Guard must be shaking their heads. Love it!

Gar 09-19-2015 07:18 PM

I've definitely had some people point and stare. The guys on one of those party boats thought it was pretty funny.

guest who 09-19-2015 07:25 PM

You definitely have my respect. Good stuff!:you_rock:

govomit 09-19-2015 07:48 PM

knock off-ed

3 YT - wow, quite an accomplishment these days. Was it before or just after sunrise ? I cant find any during the day...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gar (Post 242404)
I also got knocked off my board by something big out there... Could have been a dog.

Seals & sea lions are too cautious to do that. Careful, sounds scary.

I saw maybe a colleague of yours yesterday at Solana Beach, SUP with white crate, two poles, no bait tank, hand-paddling - what a workout... I have enough trouble surviving on a kayak, you guys are athletes. And reason #1: you are young :notworthy:

MITCHELL 09-20-2015 04:11 AM

I think I would rather spearfish or get a yak but that's me good luck :you_rock:

taggermike 09-20-2015 07:03 AM

Great job. I saw you out there yesterday. Nice looking sup/fishing board set up you have. If ya got it, fish it. Getting knocked off your board by "some thing" sounds dicey. Dogs don't usually come in hard like that. Don't want to start an f'n media frenzy, but I did see mako shark jump yesterday. Keep up the good work. Mike

buddha 09-20-2015 07:30 AM

Mike

The mako was Tony who we were fishing with getting hooked up on it and it jumped and broke the line.

SmokinBass 09-20-2015 01:42 PM

Thanks for the report. Nice work tearing into 3 yellows! We met like 2 weeks ago I think. We paddled/ peddled out together. I'm on one of those tan Hobies. Names Aaron I'll see you on the water.:reel:

eDUBz 09-20-2015 08:26 PM

Nice setup, what board are you on?

Gar 09-20-2015 11:49 PM

Taggermike... thanks man. I'm not too worried about the bump... I just don't dangle my feet overboard as much as I did before. Looking forward to seeing ya out there again!

Gar 09-20-2015 11:52 PM

Aaron

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinBass (Post 242468)
Thanks for the report. Nice work tearing into 3 yellows! We met like 2 weeks ago I think. We paddled/ peddled out together. I'm on one of those tan Hobies. Names Aaron I'll see you on the water.:reel:

Aaron! it was good chatting with ya on the way out. You're the reason I signed up for the site. Didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it on that paddle out... was hoping you'd see the post!

Gar 09-20-2015 11:53 PM

Paddleboard

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDUBz (Post 242516)
Nice setup, what board are you on?

It's a bru sup touring style. I got it from that SUP shop up in Oceanside next to the harbor.

Blabelfish 09-21-2015 07:35 AM

Nice work