Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A fish is a fish... (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=12781)

THE DARKHORSE 03-06-2012 07:57 PM

A fish is a fish...

Here's hoping you made it out this weekend. Conditions were about as good as it gets. Well, if ample sunshine and light wind is what you're after, anyway. There was plenty of that to go around. Sheet glass conditions, clear/cold water and bait a' plenty. Did I mention that it was flat as a lake, too? I suppose you could have safely launched from just about anywhere on the West Coast, but The Pond was in fine form. Looking like something out of a postcard; but, I have no doubts you could have made it dangerous out there if you really tried. Like fishing alone in the dark without lights or something crazy---that's just nuts. If you're a rebel, though, go on with your bad self! I suppose you could of stood up in your Pro Angler while hovering in two feet of water and performed a Swan dive into the sand, too. Maybe chummed for Mako's with baby Sea Lions, dangling your feet in the water the whole time. Perhaps, get some aggression out while in the midst of some mescaline induced giggling rage---while swinging wildly with your jig-stick at the Sea Gulls as they passed. Anything's possible, I guess.

Nothing of the sort was going in my neck of the woods this weekend, though. The word mellow comes to mind. I made the pilgrimage all the way out of the reserve on Sunday, made bait, then had a long look around with the Lowrance HDS. Either my sonar is a bald faced liar, was intent on hiding the truth or what I was looking for just never swam beneath the boat. All of which is entirely possible. I couldn't find my original target; or at least one willing to play. One little lady made a suspicious innuendo, but that was as close as I got to getting lucky. Which is understandable considering someone probably would have gotten hurt. And I don't mean me! They certainly weren't jumping in the boat; that's for sure. I gave the White Sea Bass a good looking over, but never really found the right conditions. Good for them. I suppose if they ate the paint off the Revo every day there wouldn't be any around. And there's always next time, right?

In the afternoon, I changed to the back-up plan. A distant back-up plan at that. Not being one to fight the Ocean, all the signs seemed to point in the same direction. The White Sea Bass were apparently hunkered down tight, the Yellowtail never made a noticeable presence and man, I was starting to get hungry. I was intently focused on my dual beam sonar, but my chart-plotter was sending me subliminal messages. Something along the lines of: go to #215, hit up #172, check out good 'ol #21, remember that one place where we...? I couldn't really get a clear message from her. It was muddled at best; but, she was clearly trying to tell me something. Eventually she wore me down and while I'm embarrassed to admit it---I gave in.
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...P1030346-2.JPG
Even more embarrassed to admit she was right the whole time. My first drop produced a beautiful specimen. That solid thump had me giggling like a school-girl!

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/P1030355.JPG
Apparently she had a twin sister, too. Which is always a bonus.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/P1030358.jpg
I'll tell you what, there was giggling a plenty going on. I kept throwing darts at targets. Some hit the bullseye; and some clearly missed by a mile without so much as a nibble. Surprisingly enough numbers 215 and 187 were entirely void of life; and before I knew it darkness had made a triumphant return.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegall...0/P1030370.JPG
Which was a Godsend in and of itself; I forgot one of the biggest weaknesses associated with the streamlined Hobie pedal crafts: where in the hell do you put the fish?

yakrider 03-06-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE (Post 109361)
I kind of forgot one of the biggest weaknesses associated with the streamlined Hobie pedal crafts: where in the hell do you put all the fish?

I guess you figured that one out!
I'm glad I'm not a La Jolla fish!

bellcon 03-06-2012 08:15 PM

I think the big fish of La Jolla just recognize your silhouette Josh.
I also think they have a bounty out on you and are fighting to see who can pull you down into the deep...
Stupid fish

Todays score=
DARKHORSE: 7
Bounty hunting fish: 0

will they ever learn?

:cheers1:

Mr. Adventure 03-06-2012 08:21 PM

Wow, I really need to get a fish finder installed and find a rock pile. That's a he'll of a grab bag

xpresso2am 03-06-2012 08:26 PM

Nice haul, amazing color

ful-rac 03-06-2012 08:32 PM

Ohhhhh yeeeahhh!!! I love that!!! Nice cod!!!!!

blitzburgh 03-06-2012 08:33 PM

DAYUMMMMM!!!!!!

Amish Ed 03-06-2012 08:33 PM

There's one or two tacos there. Nice job.

ericko 03-06-2012 08:44 PM

JOSH nice catch , but was wondering why do you were a dress shirt in many of your photos i see you in that type of shirt???

1 Is it a lucky shirt
2 Your at work so you dress up
3 your just a baller and thats how you ride

what ever it is it's working:)

dsafety 03-06-2012 08:52 PM

Beautiful fish Josh. I have not seen any that size for a while. I guess maybe you found the honey hole. If memory serves, those are pretty tasty critters.

Well done.

Bob

roby 03-06-2012 09:00 PM

"Pop that collar!!!!"

:luxhello:

NextBite 03-06-2012 10:42 PM

Taco Time :p

WTG! Josh ;)

Aaron&Julie 03-06-2012 10:50 PM

WOW :eek::eating: Nice haul.

echo1er 03-07-2012 03:29 AM

:reel:Hell yeah. Nice color.

jorluivil 03-07-2012 04:49 AM

Those are some nice reds

P.S.
My GPS does not have 252, 187 or 867 5309.

erinoo 03-07-2012 06:03 AM

I want some of those..:cheers1:

steveooo 03-07-2012 06:17 AM

Now those are some BIG reds :cheers1:
While I do think that breaking down and dropping for cod is admitting defeat, I actually do enjoy it, and its a quick way to bring home some dinner. I keep telling myself "Yellows breeze through here too" :cool:

Now where did the lings go :drool5:

dmrides 03-07-2012 06:19 AM

Sounds like you were playing the lottery! 215, 187, 21... And the lucky numbers were...

Looks like you hit the jackpot. Nice haul.

bus kid 03-07-2012 06:28 AM

Nice rockies. Your reds are bigger then most peoples yellows. :D

Devildawgjj 03-07-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Maybe chummed for Mako's with baby Sea Lions, dangling your feet in the water the whole time.
Well yeah!! That's what real men do! ;)

Those are sum big AZZ reds! I wouldn't hate if I caught some of those too.

Carry on...