Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Newbie fishing southbay (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=20585)

l8kerz42 01-14-2014 06:22 PM

Newbie fishing southbay

I am new to Kayak fishing and I live in Torrance, CA. Havent fished outside of the Cabrillo inner harbor and am looking to try a suf launch. Any tips?

YakDout 01-14-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l8kerz42 (Post 179298)
I am new to Kayak fishing and I live in Torrance, CA. Havent fished outside of the Cabrillo inner harbor and am looking to try a suf launch. Any tips?

Don't flip. Unless everything is tied down.

l8kerz42 01-14-2014 08:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna try with no gear first few time!

StinkyMatt 01-14-2014 08:28 PM

Post up when you plan to go...there may be others that have plans and you can meet up.. always safer and more fun with company.

jorluivil 01-15-2014 06:35 AM

Best tip ever

DO NOT FOLLOW GREG:eek:

GregAndrew 01-15-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 179330)
Best tip ever

DO NOT FOLLOW GREG:eek:

Now that was funny :D:D:D

GregAndrew 01-15-2014 07:15 AM

If you are going without gear, Malaga Cove could be a good place for some practice, and relatively close for you. You can also get some practice at the Beach at Cabrillo. Start at the right end of the beach at Cabrillo, and work your way to the left as you feel comfortable. Check the swell size and direction before you head out.

ChristLike 01-15-2014 07:30 AM

strap everything down with gear. keep the nose straight. umm no advice for coming back lol that's the hardest part. Pack your best girly screams and use them coming in when those big waves pick you up from the back

ctfphoto 01-15-2014 10:09 AM

Check the swell chart, Check the swell chart, and Check the swell chart.

WildernessWanker 01-15-2014 11:37 AM

Drive to County Line, Or Leo, and keep everything out of your yak but the bare essentials. :D Just launch and paddle out BTB, rest, turn around and land, and then repeat. My first couple trips out were just spent launching and landing to get the feel of the yak and how to handle the conditions. Then after that I would load up the yak and practice the same. Sometimes I did it all in one day, a couple hours empty practicing then a couple hours loaded and then a couple hours fishing. Jim Sammons also has a course geared toward launching and landing which would be an invaluable tool and money well spent. Surf launching can be no joke depending on where you go and requires a specialized approach based on the location, but once accomplished it really opens up your fishable locations and might end up saving you paddle time to some locations due to not having to launch from a protected marina or harbor. Just my 0.02 and the way I did it but I know there are numerous opinions and options.

tacmik 01-15-2014 02:57 PM

Jim Sammons also has a video on La Jolla kayaking and fishing site that you might want to check out.

ericko 01-15-2014 03:20 PM

I only go on really cold days gives me a good reason not to get wet ... Greg and tony look for day of sun so that they can swim with there kayak... in fact tony ful rac has a special video out showing how to land a pa 14.... wiredance might be able help you find it.. im sure there is nothing of me and Roby !!!!

mrlomelin 01-15-2014 04:24 PM

So when r u planing to out to Cabrillo

l8kerz42 01-15-2014 06:47 PM

@mrlomelin...I will try to make it out on the water two weekends from now. I will post a couple of days prior to try to meet up with ssomeone.

yak-fishing-socal 01-15-2014 07:24 PM

When breaking through the waves it's important to keep your paddle in the water and pull through the wave

sent from s4 active lets go yak fishing

otterpupster 01-15-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l8kerz42 (Post 179298)

Have you launched at Torrance?Haggerty?Although its a zigzag ramp fom the parking lot its a good practice beach w/ Calicos along Haggerty's Go 4it!

l8kerz42 01-22-2014 05:04 PM

Gonna try and get out to cabrillo beach friday or saturday morning. Wish me luck!

el pescator 01-22-2014 05:19 PM

Use tides to your advantage and get familiar with wind patterns.

momo fish 01-23-2014 06:45 PM

ummm. I would avoid county line.. That is not a place to practice.. Its great for surfers, that should say enough.. Leo is better during high tide, but its very rocky if not.. I would practice near the pier if your going to be in this area but there is plenty of smaller wave beaches closer to your area to practice..

first hand experience at countyline but I was crazy when I started learning to surf launch in 6 foot waves every 10 seconds.. Lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildernessWanker (Post 179350)
Drive to County Line, Or Leo, and keep everything out of your yak but the bare essentials. :D Just launch and paddle out BTB, rest, turn around and land, and then repeat. My first couple trips out were just spent launching and landing to get the feel of the yak and how to handle the conditions. Then after that I would load up the yak and practice the same. Sometimes I did it all in one day, a couple hours empty practicing then a couple hours loaded and then a couple hours fishing. Jim Sammons also has a course geared toward launching and landing which would be an invaluable tool and money well spent. Surf launching can be no joke depending on where you go and requires a specialized approach based on the location, but once accomplished it really opens up your fishable locations and might end up saving you paddle time to some locations due to not having to launch from a protected marina or harbor. Just my 0.02 and the way I did it but I know there are numerous opinions and options.