Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Almost lost all hope (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=26664)

Ohiostreetz 08-16-2015 01:26 PM

Almost lost all hope

So I'm completely new to kayak fishing I've been out to La Jolla 5 times now and I can't seem to catch a break. If I'm not getting my bait taken by seals, I'm not catching bait and everything in between. Went out today bait everywhere took alittle while to catch some but ended up filling the tank and off I went to troll some macs with no luck and being chased by the lions all day. I thought today would be the day I catch something but once again I was skunked and went home empty handed again. Starting to feel like I'm the most unlucky yak fishermen in SD. I did give half my bait away to another guy who couldn't catch any maybe that good karma will come around until then I'll be peddling around..

Thanks for reading my rant.

Total fish- 0

Lost items-3 (Ray bans, bait pole, and cell phone)

Zfish03 08-16-2015 01:43 PM

No worries, some people are more lucky than others and some know how to set up for success. Even then luck comes into play. Pretty much all of us here have lost at least a paycheck or two to davey jones. It took me about a year before i landed my first YT. But that was when we weren't walking on them like we are today. Look at other report details and make sure you're using the right gear which is basically braid and fluro with any hook size. As you spend time on the water you will learn how to spot fishey areas. Pay attention to birds and sea life, look around, stick to a plan and talk to people on the water 99% of kayaks will be friendly and give you advice. especially those coming in. Keep at it, you will get one soon.

Ohiostreetz 08-16-2015 01:59 PM

I know it's only a matter of time til I get lucky but just wanted to vent my frustration somewhere beside the wife's ears lol she doesnt care. My setup is as follows I bring my bait rod and ussually two setups one for jigging which is a custom wrap blank 40-60 and an avet mxj with 65lbs spectra and 30# flor and other is a phenix abbys 15-40 with avet sx with same braid and flor for live bait. I was seeing signs of life all over today no greenies but macs everywhere and bonita.

yemff 08-16-2015 04:30 PM

you arent alone, I didnt see anyone hooked up all day today.

radastaff 08-16-2015 05:17 PM

I got skunked on sat
paddled away from fish
and couldn't make bait til afternoon

and I thought I knew what I was doing

launch was trickier than I was expecting too
glad landing was mellow afternoon
sorry to here bout lost gear
always sucks

never give up
you will score

never forget the stoke when you do
and pass it along

P

Greg Macker 08-16-2015 05:21 PM

It aint easy fishing out there. There are plenty of good fisherman that get skunked everyday out there. I would think that guys aren't necessarily creating posts when they go out and don't get any fish, so don't beat your self up over it. Enjoy just being out on the water and you won't get disappointed.

chuckt 08-16-2015 06:29 PM

I don't know about you, but I always enjoy being out there catching fish or not.
Well.. fishing is not my job, I don't get fired if I am not catching.

Ohiostreetz 08-16-2015 06:53 PM

I enjoy being out there and just experiencing new things and kayak fishing 2-3 miles off shore was one I couldn't pass up. The experience is everything for me but I'm getting fish fever and would love to score one I guess when I do it will be that much more sweeter. Like I said I just needed to rant about my bad luck the past month or so. It can only get better from here. Thanks guys

Rufus 08-16-2015 07:02 PM

It comes down to time on the water.

FISH11 08-16-2015 07:07 PM

Not every guy that goes out, catches anything every time. It took me quite a few trips to catch my intended species. I had decided early on after getting my kayak and trying in out on lakes and the bays, that I wanted to catch yellowtail. I caught small spotties, rays, sharks, but wanted to get yellows. It took me a year of kayak fishing and about 25 times out to La Jolla before I landed my first. I had plenty of hook ups, but seemed to loose them in the kelp to broken mono fishing line, etc. What I realized is that every trip I learned something new. The more time you spend on the water the more you learn. Read as much as you can in all these posts and in the info article in the "information links above". The satisfaction you will have of having done it yourself and not just taking lessons from a guide, is priceless. I always just try to have a good time and try to relax, otherwise why do it. Taking a six pack of beer with me, helps! Tight Lines.

jorluivil 08-16-2015 07:49 PM

Try some of this stuff.......................it worked for me.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...NL._SX425_.jpg

Raul 08-16-2015 07:53 PM

I was out there too still no luck 4th trip still no fish just learning abit more as I read. just keep at it youll put one up

Enviado desde mi C6730 mediante Tapatalk

Sheephead 08-16-2015 09:21 PM

Keep your ears open! From what I've experienced sea lions always make that "Phhhffft!" gasping for air sound 75-50yds behind the kayak before they attempt to steal your bait. Don't let out more than 40yds unless you got a big mac/small bonito and you'll be able to reel in 2-3 baits before the seal is in range. I've never had my baits stolen and am typically visited by 10-20 sea lions on an average day. Plus if the sea lions doesn't get fed it won't come back that day! Good luck out there!

Ohiostreetz 08-16-2015 10:32 PM

I'll be back at it on Saturday my time is coming...

anchovie 08-16-2015 11:15 PM

Fished LJ 10 times last year and 5 times this year. Still no yellows over10 lbs just rats.

Not gonna quit. Just keep at it.

taggermike 08-17-2015 08:01 PM

I had 3 strait trips with at least 1 yellow per trip. Then 3 shut outs in a row. Don't take it personally. Keep hitting it and you'll get some. Mike

kjsdad619 08-18-2015 07:31 AM

Don't worry brother, I am where your at now, 0 and 8 at LJ, 0 for 1 on charter, and 0 for 1 on a private vessel. Needless to say, I have told myself same thing, but my boys who have slayed them keep telling me be patient your time will come. I bought a Hobie PA 14 and thought I would have been bringing them in and taking them home to my girls..but NOOOOO. It's all good.

A Bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!

Im going out to LJ tomorrow..let me know if your down to go.

Ryan:linesnap:

surfisher 08-18-2015 12:16 PM

Your not the only one, like others have said. I had a good streak getting yellows almost every trip this summer, then I hit a slump and went 8 times with no fish (except the bonito/cuda action). Got one nice yellow and back to another 7 consecutive trips with no YT action. That's why they call it fishing.

Rambo 08-18-2015 02:55 PM

let the bait doing the swimming

Sometimes you just need to stop moving and let the bait doing the swimming. I don't know if you slow down thru your trolling but take it easy and give your self some breaks. Enjoy the water, relax and put your mind at ease and when the clicker goes off dont set the drag yet, give it a few seconds then reel. Fishing is about relaxation, enjoyment, and finally fighting the fishing at the end of line. I've been out to LJ quite a few times and no yellow until this year, which is 4 years later. So spend a bit more time on the water and it'll pay off.

Zed 08-18-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Fishing is about relaxation, enjoyment, and finally fighting the fishing at the end of line.
aka a jerk on one end waiting for a jerk on the other.