Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Best way to secure rods in the surf? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=13528)

LSmoot 05-09-2012 08:53 AM

Best way to secure rods in the surf?

Hey guys, I'm interested to see how you all secure your rods in the yak when launching through the surf. I'm trying to get my yak ready for my first trip through the surf, but not sure the best way to make sure the rod is secure in the kayak, and not at risk from falling our or breaking if for some reason the yak flips during launch. Thanks!

oneyedeer 05-09-2012 09:00 AM

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=leash

plus lots of goodies in the innovation tread

467echo 05-09-2012 09:10 AM

First off, what kind of yak do you have?

taggermike 05-09-2012 11:16 AM

This might not be a direct answer to securing rods but its a great place to start befor your first surf launch with gear. Maybe you have already done this but if not give it a few hours. Take just you and your kayak out in to the surf. Paddle out, surf in, get side ways, wipe out, practice getting back on to your kayak in and outside the surf. Get to know the feel of your kayak in the surf and learn how it will handle different situations. Get a feel for the timing of the waves, practice your sprint paddle, build up some confidence. When you dont have to worry about gear the surf can be fun on your kayak. Mike

LSmoot 05-09-2012 11:38 AM

467echo, I have a Hobie Quest 13.

LSmoot 05-09-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 117442)
This might not be a direct answer to securing rods but its a great place to start befor your first surf launch with gear. Maybe you have already done this but if not give it a few hours. Take just you and your kayak out in to the surf. Paddle out, surf in, get side ways, wipe out, practice getting back on to your kayak in and outside the surf. Get to know the feel of your kayak in the surf and learn how it will handle different situations. Get a feel for the timing of the waves, practice your sprint paddle, build up some confidence. When you dont have to worry about gear the surf can be fun on your kayak. Mike

Great idea. Thanks!

LSmoot 05-09-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taggermike (Post 117442)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneyedeer (Post 117412)
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=leash

plus lots of goodies in the innovation tread

Awesome, Thanks!

wildwing621 05-09-2012 11:51 AM

if your yak has a cargo storage area in the hull you can use that. It is a bit of a hassle getting them back out but they are guaranteed to be safe in the event of a capsize

Jimmyz123 05-09-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSmoot (Post 117411)
Hey guys, I'm interested to see how you all secure your rods in the yak when launching through the surf. I'm trying to get my yak ready for my first trip through the surf, but not sure the best way to make sure the rod is secure in the kayak, and not at risk from falling our or breaking if for some reason the yak flips during launch. Thanks!

If you have the ability to store them below deck I would say that is the best way. If you don't have below deck storage for them you can also lay them down bundled together fixing something over the tips so that does not get messed up. If that's not an option then make sure you have very well secured leashes connected to ANYTHING you don't want going in the drink. Trust me you cannot have too many leashes.

LSmoot 05-10-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 (Post 117448)
If you have the ability to store them below deck I would say that is the best way. If you don't have below deck storage for them you can also lay them down bundled together fixing something over the tips so that does not get messed up. If that's not an option then make sure you have very well secured leashes connected to ANYTHING you don't want going in the drink. Trust me you cannot have too many leashes.

Thanks. I'll probably end up laying them down and tying them to the yak somehow. Not enough room below I don't think.

ronbo613 05-10-2012 04:21 PM

I have a Quest and go through surf all the time. Two or three 7' rods inside, no problem. You have to practice putting them in through the hatch.

dorado50 05-10-2012 05:35 PM

a little commomn sense goes a long way.... i know you can figure it out!

jorluivil 05-11-2012 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorado50 (Post 117580)
a little commomn sense goes a long way.... i know you can figure it out!

common sense and bungee cords, lots and lots of bungee cords:D

LSmoot 05-11-2012 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronbo613 (Post 117567)
I have a Quest and go through surf all the time. Two or three 7' rods inside, no problem. You have to practice putting them in through the hatch.

Huh, I tried once and they didn't seem to fit. I'll give it another shot.