Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Islander Mother Kayak trip at Cat (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=37036)

jbl_91762 07-03-2022 02:25 PM

Islander Mother Kayak trip at Cat

2 Attachment(s)
Watched the Islander unload at Catalina. I asked one of the gents why here and not at SCI. Was told it was too windy over there so to salvage a trip they went to Cat.

Bummer for those guys hoping for a killer YT bite but hope they caught some vs just Bass and Barracuda.

Always wanted to try that trip but probably wont ever now as I have my boat to use.

fishnfoool 07-03-2022 05:51 PM

That's B.S. This trip should have been canceled. With boats, you can handle some wind. With advanced weather reports, they knew that the kayaks could not handle that wind and still left the docks.

PapaDave 07-04-2022 09:54 AM

Pretty hard to cancel a trip like that. First, they invested some cash into getting the ship ready, would be a big loss. Second, forecasts are not real accurate, last Wednesday the forecast was for strong winds out at OS, but it was wrong, very nice weather. Third, there are yellowtail and WSB at Catalina, even on the front side, I'm sure they will find some. Fourth, I'd much prefer fishing in an area that's relatively calm then fighting the wind and waves in a kayak, or even the boat. I've seen what SCI can be like when it's windy, not fun. And last but not least, it's fun to catch fish regardless of the species.

Rock Hopper 07-04-2022 02:39 PM

I'm on the 3.5 day leaving on Wednesday. I hope conditions are a little better for that trip.

DanaPT 07-05-2022 05:23 AM

Based on my experience and what I hear....this trip, dare I say, is false advertisement.

Should be called a catalina trip with a goal to get to SCI if winds permit.

Salty 07-05-2022 10:33 AM

Would love to hear how they made out on that trip. It's been a bucket-list item for a bit, but the more I hear about it, the more it seems like a pipe dream. Been to SCI about 7-8 times this year so far on the boat and of those times, only 1 or 2 of them seemed like conditions would be decent on a kayak. S wind has been an issue on both sides of the islands the past few times I've been. But the fishing has been getting better and better:)

PapaDave 07-07-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 317731)
Based on my experience and what I hear....this trip, dare I say, is false advertisement.

Should be called a catalina trip with a goal to get to SCI if winds permit.

These trips have always been to San Clemente, not a false ad, just a change for this trip. I would also like to hear how the trip went. That being said, I would be interested in a kayak mothership trip to Catalina, assuming they can handle PA's again.

JohnMckroidJr 07-08-2022 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaDave (Post 317724)
Pretty hard to cancel a trip like that. First, they invested some cash into getting the ship ready, would be a big loss. Second, forecasts are not real accurate, last Wednesday the forecast was for strong winds out at OS, but it was wrong, very nice weather. Third, there are yellowtail and WSB at Catalina, even on the front side, I'm sure they will find some. Fourth, I'd much prefer fishing in an area that's relatively calm then fighting the wind and waves in a kayak, or even the boat. I've seen what SCI can be like when it's windy, not fun. And last but not least, it's fun to catch fish regardless of the species.

Agree. Fishing is a risk for all parties involved and nobody can control the weather. Catalina may not have the volume of Clemente, but It still holds some quality fish. Better to go there than forfeit a deposit. Too bad the ferry system does not allow transporting kayaks.