Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Recipes please (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=21162)

makobob 03-08-2014 10:36 AM

Recipes please

Looking for good to GREAT recipes for some of our under utilized species. Specially looking for recipes incorporating:

Ghost shrimp/Manta shrimp
Bone fish
Sting ray
Bat ray
Morey eel
Jack smelt
Mussels
Sardines
Opaleye

You may include other local species not listed above. To make it interesting there will be prizes for the top 3 recipes as voted on by BWE members. Post recipe, if you have picture of finished dish ready to serve that is worth an extra point. Post soon and as often as you like.

This will go through the end of JULY, and we will vote on the 1-5th of August.
1st place $50.00 plus Bubba Blade, plus Special Sauces
2nd place $30.00 plus Special Spices
3rd place $20.00 plus Special Spice

Personally I like Spanish/Mexican and Portuguese foods, but please submit your FAVORITES.

Makobob

Drake 03-08-2014 11:11 AM

Here is a great Bat Ray recipe. I had never kept one before, but I unfortunately hooked one deep in the throat and it was bleeding pretty bad, so it's survival was unlikely. I had seen this recipe and felt it was a great time to try it. Turned out quite good.

Not my recipe so I can't take credit.
Just food for thought :)
http://honest-food.net/2012/06/24/bat-ray-recipe/

stephenG 03-08-2014 11:38 AM

If you go to allrecipes.com and search for heavenly halibut it will show you my favorite baked fish recipe. Obviously it's great with halibut but I have enjoyed it with bass, sculpin, rockfish and maybe a few others as well. Seems really good with firm fillets so maybe it would be ok with a ray or something? IDK, I'm not gonna kill or eat any rays or eels but might be worth a try if you had one gut hooked or something.

alanw 03-08-2014 11:45 AM

Jacksmelt is good, don't know why it's underutilized. Fried one up once, not bad. According to the safe eating guidelines, it's also the safest fish to eat.

Zfish03 03-08-2014 02:26 PM

Great idea Bob! What is everyone's thoughts on a cook your "bait" category and a separate category for the rays, eels, etc?
Bait cooking includes greenback mackerel, spanish mackerel, sardines, smelt, lizard fish, squid, and shrimp?

(I could probably eat everything but lizard fish, nasty little critters lol.)

A side note: If anyone has a proper handing video or explanation (besides don't get stung) on safe handling for some of the critters that could injure us, like the rays and eels. I can imagine some novice yakers (me) trying to bag a ray or eel and having a oh sh*t moment.

DanaPT 03-08-2014 03:34 PM

MMMMMM... sardines!

William Novotny 03-08-2014 03:39 PM

If anyone has seen the flesh of a Lizard fish then they know it's white, mild, no odor or weird oil. I'm sure it would adopt any flavor you season it with. I'm going to assume it tastes like sand dab. Next Lizard I catch I'll take one for the team.

William Novotny 03-08-2014 03:45 PM

Okay disregard. I did some research and found that the Lizard fish is host to a parasitic tape worm and also that the flesh has a strong iodine taste to it. I'm out. Maybe let's find out why some of these are under utilized before digging in, haha

makobob 03-08-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 185352)
MMMMMM... sardines!

Smoked for sandwiches, fried served with sweet potatoe fries, baked stuffed with shrimp and served on a bed of long grain rice, grilled and served in a taco with avocado and wasabi sauce. MMMMMMM....sardines.

William sounds like halibut worms and shark at the same time. Zfish I do not see why not.

buddha 03-08-2014 04:31 PM

If I get some lizardfish I will brine them to take out the iodine taste.
That is what you need to do on a bat ray and do it for a few days. I tried to eat a bat ray once without doing that and it was terrible.

buddha 03-08-2014 06:32 PM

Here is some information of parasites. Freshwater Salmon is usually frozen first so that they kill the parasites before they are allowed to serve it as sushi. Parasites are not a problem as long as the fish are handled correctly.

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/fisheries/parasites

bus kid 03-08-2014 07:44 PM

I asked a old salt once if he ever ate a lizard fish he said yes once and only once because it tasted like a girl that wipes from back to front, what ever that means.

alanw 03-08-2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bus kid (Post 185367)
I asked a old salt once if he ever ate a lizard fish he said yes once and only once because it tasted like a girl that wipes from back to front, what ever that means.

Ew nasty! That's one recipe I don't want to try.

StinkyMatt 03-09-2014 10:04 AM

Most fish have parasites.

Most of your FRESH sushi is frozen first.

If you have eaten meat before...you have taken in some parasites dead/ live.

If you are cooking, its only the idea or esthetics of the critters that are bad for you.

Sardines are one of the most popular fish to eat around the world.

Eels are a delicacy in many good restaurants. Salt and fresh.

Don't let the "WEST COAST" mentality stop you from trying all fish. We here on the west coast have a little screwed up ideas on what is good and not.

wbrewski 03-10-2014 12:02 PM

why

Why don't we have a new forum just for recipe?:cheers1:

makobob 03-10-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbrewski (Post 185528)
Why don't we have a new forum just for recipe?:cheers1:

Maybe not a forum, but we have a few threads that pertain to recipes so it might turn into a forum one day if we use it well. The OEX/BWE team seems to allow and implement new ideas every now and then. But to get their interest we must show ours and what it can ADD to our community, and to their overall goals. Maybe do the HOW events with a couple persons doing lunch in a cook off form, or????????. The cook off would lower the overall costs and add a new element to these get togethers. Any other ideas?

Makobob