Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   hobie mirage / rudder upgrade - worth upgrading? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=29071)

2-Stix 05-13-2016 06:54 PM

hobie mirage / rudder upgrade - worth upgrading?

Hi Folks,
I have a 2015 Outback. I was considering the fins and rudder upgrade. The guys and I tend to run about 8-10 mile days with some bigger ranges looking to come into play. Anyway...what has been your experience with upgrading to the turbo fins and bigger rudder? I was wondering if this upgrade is worth it?

AirborneYak 05-13-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-Stix (Post 261119)
Hi Folks,
I have a 2015 Outback. I was considering the fins and rudder upgrade. The guys and I tend to run about 8-10 mile days with some bigger ranges looking to come into play. Anyway...what has been your experience with upgrading to the turbo fins and bigger rudder? I was wondering if this upgrade is worth it?

The rudder is a must upgrade and best bang for your bucks.

Saba Slayer 05-13-2016 07:15 PM

YES

YES and YES...
Get the Turbo Fins and a big rudder...you'll be happy you did.

jorluivil 05-13-2016 07:34 PM

It's a must

2-Stix 05-13-2016 08:10 PM

I am assuming the peddling power was greater for the effort and the stability in staying on course was better?

Orca Winfrey 05-13-2016 08:16 PM

My buddy and I started with paddle yaks until he got a Revo with standard fins and rudder. I had no problem keeping up with him and may have even been a little faster. Then he got Turbo Fins and the sail rudder and he now leaves me in the dust. We did almost 8 miles our last trip in 8-10 mph winds and he said he wasn't close to being tired. I was a little beat, so I'd say they are worth it.

Mr. NiceGuy 05-13-2016 08:31 PM

The rudder is only $34, so why wait?
The turbofin upgrade kit is $122.

If you have the money, I think you already know the answer.
If you are on a tight budget, get the turbofins first.

These should be standard equipment. Hobie likes their add-on sales so this is what we have to do to complete our kayaks.

Tacky marketing tricks, IMHO. This is how they pump the bill. Nobody EVER downgrades.

PS, anyone want to buy a small rudder? I have one available in perfect condition ;)

King Saba 05-13-2016 08:42 PM

I'm that buddy, and I say DO IT! You'll be glad you did. Turbo fins do not honestly take more effort because with each pedal you create more torque and force from the fins causing more water displacement. Long story short, you move further and faster with each push. The sail rudder is a good idea too, much more responsive than the standard. It keeps you on track well and turns on a dime.

Orca Winfrey 05-13-2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Saba (Post 261134)
I'm that buddy, and I say DO IT! You'll be glad you did. Turbo fins do not honestly take more effort because with each pedal you create more torque and force from the fins causing more water displacement. Long story short, you move further and faster with each push. The sail rudder is a good idea too, much more responsive than the standard. It keeps you on track well and turns on a dime.

My arms are not happy with your upgrade.

2-Stix 05-13-2016 08:54 PM

Done.
Order was made.
I have had the boat a year and put in 30 days on it...time to get with it.
My partner has been crushing me on long halls back to the launch.
Time to close the gap.

Thanks for the info.

King Saba 05-13-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 261135)

I'm not happy that you haven't joined the darkside yet. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2-Stix (Post 261139)
Done.
Order was made.
I have had the boat a year and put in 30 days on it...time to get with it.
My partner has been crushing me on long halls back to the launch.
Time to close the gap.

Thanks for the info.

Hope you'll like the upgrade!

ctfphoto 05-14-2016 04:44 AM

YES, and Yes plus another YES.

You will love your two new upgrades.

Now all you need is a sail. Best upgrade yet.

taggermike 05-14-2016 08:03 AM

Dang it Josh. Now I'll have even more trouble keeping up with you. You're killing me Weir. Mikr

makobob 05-14-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 261135)

The DARKSIDE is calling, Orca needs to answer in the affirmative. Then he AND Saba need a trip to BAJA!. Join Makobob BEFORE he decides to retire in paradise. Tight lines.

Orca Winfrey 05-14-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 261165)
The DARKSIDE is calling, Orca needs to answer in the affirmative. Then he AND Saba need a trip to BAJA!. Join Makobob BEFORE he decides to retire in paradise. Tight lines.

But what would I do with my hands if I don't have to :paddleersmilie: ???

makobob 05-14-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey (Post 261198)
But what would I do with my hands if I don't have to :paddleersmilie: ???

Play with your rod, drink a cold one, eat lunch? Come home less tired, with more fish ready to do it again! Tight Lines.

Murray 05-15-2016 01:18 AM

Believe my old outback can not be upgraded with a newer version rudder. Bummer.

King Saba 05-15-2016 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 261165)

Quote:

Originally Posted by makobob (Post 261201)
Play with your rod, drink a cold one, eat lunch? Come home less tired, with more fish ready to do it again! Tight Lines.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes to the above!