Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   9/19 report LJ (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=37429)

fishnfoool 09-19-2023 04:15 PM

9/19 report LJ

The fishing was fantastic!!! I launched around 8:30 after meeting this nice guy named Roger and chit chatting with him for about 20 mins. Went straight west in 1-2 footers at 10 second intervals. Almost perfectly dry on my way out. Took me about 45 minutes to make my first and only bait ( Spanish mack ). Tried for another hour to make bait but it was futile. So decide to troll around in front of the condo and leave my sabiki in the water.
Long story short: Left around 2 and didn't catch anything except for that Spanish Mack.
Good luck to anyone that goes out.

tootall 09-19-2023 06:54 PM

Good talking to you Toni. Maybe next time the results will be better.

MavYak 09-19-2023 09:17 PM

thanks for the report.
Heard making bait was tough the past 2 weeks...at least straight out west. Also that catching was on the very slow side.

pistol 09-20-2023 12:48 PM

Same for me....water is still bad

TJones 09-21-2023 05:31 AM

What's going on?

What happened to the jewel? Thanks for adventuring out and posting report. Can't imagine spending 100$ in gas right now, only to experience a desert wasteland.

JohnMckroidJr 09-22-2023 11:53 AM

Thanks for reporting. Does anyone ever fish for bait before sunrise? On the East Coast, the primary bait(big-eyed scad) stops feeding at sunrise. Maybe one would have better luck locating and catching bait if they launched during hours of darkness.:reel::reel::jig::wsb::yt:

skrilla 09-22-2023 08:20 PM

I've had better luck in deeper water. 170ft+ was the magic zone for me this past month. Sand bass was the common suspect but signs on the meter was night and day over deeper water. Good luck!

Salty 09-22-2023 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr (Post 319772)
Thanks for reporting. Does anyone ever fish for bait before sunrise? On the East Coast, the primary bait(big-eyed scad) stops feeding at sunrise. Maybe one would have better luck locating and catching bait if they launched during hours of darkness.:reel::reel::jig::wsb::yt:

Usually when fishing La Jolla, I like to be on the water and past the reserve line about an hour before sunrise. Maybe it's the sabikis I'm using, but lately I haven't been getting much bait in the dark. And when I do, it's mostly been Spanish mac, not greenbacks. Just been weird down there the past couple trips!

JohnMckroidJr 09-26-2023 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty (Post 319774)
Usually when fishing La Jolla, I like to be on the water and past the reserve line about an hour before sunrise. Maybe it's the sabikis I'm using, but lately I haven't been getting much bait in the dark. And when I do, it's mostly been Spanish mac, not greenbacks. Just been weird down there the past couple trips!

On the East Coast in up to 20ft of water, When the bait gets finicky, a kayaker using Crappie jigs will outfish a Sabiki consistently. I refused to use a crappie for a whole year and stuck with the Hayabusa D119. If I luckily hit a hungry school, I would load up faster, but otherwise, my buddy consistently outfished me with 1/16 oz crappie jigs tied into a 3 jig gangion on a light line. In deeper water when a bait school is metered, dropping a sabiki quickly through the marks remains the best method for us. If they are boiling on the surface, the Crappie is king.:jig: