Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   waders?????????????????????? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=3699)

jimmyjones 07-29-2008 08:34 PM

waders??????????????????????

thinking of getting waders before cooler waters of winter roll in. Which pants and waders are dry and recommended users? Light and mobile, yet not too costly? Thanks Gents JIMMY

dgax65 07-29-2008 09:43 PM

Hodgman makes some nice breathable waders. The sell them at Sports Authority and Cabelas.

One Rev 07-30-2008 05:48 AM

Get the one's with a zipper so's you can relieve yourself without totally disrobing. In my opinion that's the only drawback to my waders.

Mike R
Landlocked in Lakeside

Billy V 07-30-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Rev (Post 27322)
Get the one's with a zipper so's you can relieve yourself without totally disrobing. In my opinion that's the only drawback to my waders.

Mike R
Landlocked in Lakeside

I've never seen a set with a zipper, is there a manufacturer that make a set?

Pescavore1 07-30-2008 11:50 AM

Zip-front wader

Here is one I'm planning on getting.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...007000_500-7-1

Jay

madscientist 07-30-2008 12:08 PM

I had zippered ones but the zipper didn't hold up very well and leaked slightly from the get go. Wasn't that much more convenient than just slipping the straps off my shoulders and rolling down anyways. The ones I have now (can't remember where I got them) have a little velcro pouch in the front that has proven to be a great place to keep keys, sunglasses, lobster gauge, license, and even a jig or hook or two.

yellowklr 07-30-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madscientist (Post 27342)
I had zippered ones but the zipper didn't hold up very well and leaked slightly from the get go. Wasn't that much more convenient than just slipping the straps off my shoulders and rolling down anyways. The ones I have now (can't remember where I got them) have a little velcro pouch in the front that has proven to be a great place to keep keys, sunglasses, lobster gauge, license, and even a jig or hook or two.

Brad can you tell us who makes them??

Holy Mackerel 07-30-2008 02:39 PM

My zipper waders were nice and convenient too. But after a little over a year, the zipper came unhinged... And there is not way to re-hinge it without damaging the zipper track.

They have a 1 yr warranty with Bass Pro Shops, but Hodgemans has a 2 year warranty. (they overlap) I called Hodgemans 1-800:call: and they gave me a RMA#.... I sent them back, so they can inspect whether or not they fall under warranty. I sent them back a couple weeks ago.

I went back to my old pair, non-zipper cabelas brand ~$100, (which need some re-waterproofing) they also have a nice pocket pouch inside the waders. It isn't too much of a pain to do your do your business now that it is warm weather. However, in the winter it was nice to have that zipper, instead of having to take off your paddle jacket, and layers, etc.

Did I just type all this, I must need to go out and catch some fish! :biggrinjester::arne1:

jimmyjones 07-30-2008 09:13 PM

waders????????

Wellll Alright Then ! THanks for info. Hodgemans it is! JIMMY

madscientist 07-31-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowklr (Post 27345)
Brad can you tell us who makes them??

It was either basspro or cabela's brand. Not hodgeman.

Holy Mackerel 08-12-2008 10:07 AM

Thought I would post a followup to my earlier post. Hodgeman owned by Stearns, sent me brand new zipper waders, and fully honored their warranty. Now I have to be careful with this pair. I did see at West Marine, some sort of zipper lube. Maybe I will pick some up.

chris

Zed 08-12-2008 10:15 AM

Hey Chris, just plain ol candle wax (paraffin) is a great zipper lube.
Rub the wax on the closed zipper, then run the zip a few times to spread out the wax.

Holy Mackerel 08-12-2008 10:39 AM

Good idea Troy, thanks for the tip!