Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Halloween Treat (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6223)

1Flatfish 10-31-2009 01:38 PM

Halloween Treat

Wy wife has been asking me all week to shave. I couldn't do it because I believe that facial hair works like fish sensor organs. Sure enough, when I got out around the La Jolla corner, my face started to tingle. The grizzle was telling me that there were yellowtail in the area... That, and I could see them about 50 yards from me on the surface.
I had planned on trolling lazily around for a while to see if I could get some bonito to bite my Yo-Zuri. Then I was going to go into the kelp and fish the bottom with my bass gear. I made no bait today. But I did have my long stick.
I had stopped trolling for a while to adjust some stuff that needed adjusting, when I saw one or two somethings crashing the surface. Not a dolphin, not a sea lion, maybe yellowtail!
I reached around and grabbed my 90J and shot a perfect long distance missile that splashed down just beyond the boil. Then... two cranks and FISH ON!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...Halloween1.jpg

Everything worked perfectly. The cast was perfect. The bite was perfect and I worked him to the surface and gaffed him no problem. I think luck was on my side today. Probably because I was wearing my Josh Pruitt Signature Model Waders!
I was back on the beach and loaded by 9:00 am. Home by 9:45. Everything put away and in it's place and the fish cleaned by noon. What A morning!
We are truly blessed to live near a fishery like this. Enjoy it while you can.

Wayne

steveooo 10-31-2009 02:08 PM

Congrats! Thats a pretty bitchin picture too:cheers1:

fishinkid2010 10-31-2009 02:50 PM

Way better than candy!
Congrats :yt:

dsafety 10-31-2009 02:53 PM

What a difference a day makes. We were skunked yesterday. Congratulations Wayne. Beautiful fish.

Bob

landwhale 10-31-2009 02:55 PM

Congratulations Wayne

Iceman 10-31-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

two cranks and FISH ON!
nice, not even enough time to say "EAT IT!!!"

Tman 10-31-2009 05:28 PM

I agree with an earlier post...

Frame that pic :jig::yt::jig:

Congrats, what'd weigh?

T Bone 10-31-2009 05:35 PM

Awesome.Looks like you had to put up with rough weather too.

THE DARKHORSE 10-31-2009 09:03 PM

My man!

I'm sooooo stoked for you, Wayne! :cheers1:
Nice you got to break that new jig-stick in, properly. she's beautiful. I wish I was there to take some bendo shots. I bet that tip was under water half of the fight...No? I love the Calstar 90J for casting the light-iron, but it's a noodle on solid fish. I know that fish kicked your ass on that rod, but that's the beauty of it. That fish would kick anyones ass on that rod.

I got lucky with two Yellowtail about the same size today, too. You couldn't ask for better conditions either. It looked like a lake. What's funny about my fish is I caught them about 100 yds from where I caught my Yellowtail last Halloween. Damn patterns :sifone:.

1Flatfish 11-01-2009 06:18 AM

90J

The tip definitely got wet! Notice I switched out my Saltist 40 for my Sealine 40. I just feel more comfortable casting it, I needed all the distance I had in me for this one. I probably had only one shot and it had to get there. The lure hit the water with absolutely no slack and ready to pump!

28lbs.

wiseguy 11-01-2009 07:12 AM

Nice Fish! You guys are lucky to live near such a good fishing place! Enjoy it while you can! Hope I have the opportunity to take my son one day fishing to La Joya! Congratz again on a beauty of a YT!:luxhello:

zinkysd 11-01-2009 06:41 PM

Way to go Wayne!!! Nice to get one on the :jig: one day short of November.

Ken

bellcon 11-01-2009 07:17 PM

Nice
very nice
by the way i hope you don't mind
I am gonna photo shop myself into that pic
Bitchen shot!

Billy V 11-01-2009 07:58 PM

Excellent Job.

The Jig Stick is my New Favorite Weapon, thanks to Josh for pushing me in that direction.
-I banged out 8 yellowtail with it on my last fishing trip, I'm hooked.

I just bought another one the other day, and I have been tweaking my technique with the Magic Cast Avets.
----------------------------------------------------------
The same thing happened to me when I switched from Rifle to Bow.
Mathew's Solo Cam

TCS 11-01-2009 07:58 PM

Luck = Preparation+Skill+Opportunity

Wayne and I launched at the same time. He was planning on a quick paddle out for some Bonito. I said, 'Yeah, but I bet you'd take a yellowtail.' He just nodded.

Preparation: He had the jigstick all setup within arms reach and put himself where the fish would be.

Skill: He took a few practice swings on the beach to dial in the cast, should he need it.

Opportunity: Boiling yellow just in casting distance.

Congratulations Wayne, You're one lucky bastard!

NextBite 11-02-2009 03:00 PM

nice :yt: