Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1st YT La Jolla 4/5/16 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28713)

m7vasque 04-05-2016 11:04 PM

1st YT La Jolla 4/5/16

3 Attachment(s)
First report. Been fishing for a bit now but admittedly a complete noob to kayak fishing. 4th trip to La Jolla in about three weeks since picking up my kayak.

Headed out with my brother just before 6:30. Fog was very thick. Past the buoy marker bait was easy to make. Slow trolled and sent down the dropper loop a few times but mostly just fed the sea lions most of the morning.

Finally around 11:30am my line takes a short run. I grab my reel thinking its another seal but still hoping for the best. Put the spool in gear and almost instantly feel a pop in the line and it goes completely slack. Thought to myself, "there goes another bait to the dogs". Immediately start reeling in thinking I'm going to have to move again and just as fast as it went slack I feel the rod load up and...bendo! line starts screaming and I know I'm hooked up. Took a few solid runs but got it to the kayak after about 10min. My brother finally sets the gaff and I was STOKED! First fish ever caught off my kayak (other than bait)

YOYOYaker 04-05-2016 11:43 PM

Way to go!

Congratulations! I have yet to take my kayak out to La Jolla. I have had it out of Oceanside, and Mission Bay to paddle only. I now have my gear ready, rack ready, and my fishing license, so I hope to get out there one of these days. Again, congrats on your 1st, and may there be many more to come.

:jig:

Murray 04-06-2016 03:36 AM

Congrats. Looks like you have an awesome rig. Fish beware!

Harry Hill 04-06-2016 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m7vasque (Post 257838)
First report. Been fishing for a bit now but admittedly a complete noob to kayak fishing. 4th trip to La Jolla in about three weeks since picking up my kayak.

Headed out with my brother just before 6:30. Fog was very thick. Past the buoy marker bait was easy to make. Slow trolled and sent down the dropper loop a few times but mostly just feed the sea lions most of the morning.

Finally around 11:30am my line takes a short run. I grab my reel thinking its another seal but still hoping for the best. Put the spool in gear and almost instantly feel a pop in the line and it goes completely slack. Thought to myself, "there goes another bait to the dogs". Immediately start reeling in thinking I'm going to have to move again and just as fast as it went slack I feel the rod load up and...bendo! line starts screaming and I know I'm hooked up. Took a few solid runs but got it to the kayak after about 10min. My brother finally sets the gaff and I was STOKED! First fish ever caught off my kayak (other than bait)

what a great way to kill the skunk off a new yak, congratulations

flemdogg 04-06-2016 06:34 AM

Nice fish on lake la jolla.

acorad 04-06-2016 06:37 AM

Awesome!

Still waiting to tag my first YT from my kayak, hope they get busy soon in the Santa Monica/Malibu area.

Andy

blitzburgh 04-06-2016 07:28 AM

Nice! You set the bar high for a YT to be your first fish off the yak. Congrats! :cheers1:

Starsky 04-06-2016 10:52 AM

Congrats on your first YT in LJ. That water is glassssy. :reel:

FISH11 04-06-2016 11:36 AM

Congrats on the nice yellowtail. If that's only the 4th trip on the kayak, you are one lucky man. Some of us took 30+ times out to La Jolla before we landed one and probably smaller in size. After getting that first sleigh ride, your hooked.

Orca Winfrey 04-06-2016 01:21 PM

Great job! I wish I lived closer to LJ.

Pinhead 04-06-2016 02:38 PM

Atta boy!

Great pic and very nice fish.

Nanny Comment :toetap05:

I can't tell from the pic....but we're you wearing a *PFD* ? Read some horror stories on this forum, so I wear mine with the radio clipped. I know the water is calm tho, but just sayin'........

Silbaugh4liberty 04-06-2016 02:42 PM

Congrats on the fish!!! My goodness, it does look like a lake that day!! :reel:

jorluivil 04-06-2016 02:51 PM

Congrats!!

dillpick 04-06-2016 03:08 PM

Nice fish. Im jealous,I let one go after a good fight for a minute or two when then it decided to release himself off my line and i got my bait back smashed and it had my hook in its tail when I nose hooked the bait originally. Thanks for posting and hopefully we will meet out there on the water.peace :cheers1:

m7vasque 04-06-2016 09:01 PM

All: Thanks for the congrats, definitely addicted now

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead (Post 257878)
Atta boy!

Great pic and very nice fish.

Nanny Comment :toetap05:

I can't tell from the pic....but we're you wearing a *PFD* ? Read some horror stories on this forum, so I wear mine with the radio clipped. I know the water is calm tho, but just sayin'........

That's no PFD sir, what you see there in the pic is my beer belly :cheers1: LOL. Totally feel ya' tho, safety first. Being a knucklehead I had the PFD in the front hatch (guess that wouldn't help much if a situation arose huh :hmmmm:)

Cbad Mike 04-07-2016 08:13 PM

Congratulations and thanks for the post.
:cheers1:

Geno Machino 04-07-2016 09:26 PM

WTG!!!

:yt:

Nice fish!

Geno

LEEZO 04-07-2016 09:48 PM

Nice job! That ones gonna taste good.

Dirty Curti 04-08-2016 08:30 AM

There you go, Now you are hooked forever! :yt:

summers in kuwait 04-08-2016 09:06 AM

Nothing like the first