Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Lobster Nets??? (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=15153)

KatFish 09-09-2012 08:16 PM

Lobster Nets???

Which works better flat or dome? Is it better go off pier or kayak? Got my license already but need to get the right gear. It's BS the license doesn't go thru the season. But thats life, nothing is free! Thanks! Kat:D

Drake 09-09-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatFish (Post 132570)
Which works better flat or dome? Is it better go off pier or kayak? Got my license already but need to get the right gear. It's BS the license doesn't go thru the season. But thats life, nothing is free! Thanks! Kat:D

I have the "ambush style"

My hooping buddy has the flat ones, and neither of us really out hoop the other.

A pier is easier but obviously it restricts your spots, and piers get bugged out pretty early in the season.

The lobster license is stupid, but at least when you get your 2013 license, it will get you through to next years fall. You basically just lose a 1/2 season buying it now. I got my first one in January, so it got me through the whole year.

jorluivil 09-09-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatFish (Post 132570)
Which works better flat or dome?

Dome, or eclipse, are a little bulkier but much easier to handle. I carry 4 ambush/dome and one flat net, both are productive.

Is it better go off pier or kayak?

much like fishing hoop netting from a pier limits your area so with that being said you should know the answer.

Got my license already but need to get the right gear. It's BS the license doesn't go thru the season.

make sure you fill it out as soon as you start hoop netting and before you land or before you make a long move. I've read reports of hoop netters getting cited for not having the lobster report card filled out before they arrived back at the landing/launch site.

good luck this season!!

lowprofile 09-09-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 132580)
good luck this season!!

wait, people have been cited for not filling it out on the water? that's bull. what if my pen is water logged?

ctfphoto 09-10-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowprofile (Post 132584)
wait, people have been cited for not filling it out on the water? that's bull. what if my pen is water logged?

When DFG checked me last year, I had the location and date filled in but not the amount of the catch. He said that was ok just finish filling out the form at the landing.

jorluivil 09-10-2012 07:33 AM

Just because one DFG Officer ignores the rules it doesn't mean that the next one will.

29.91. SPINY LOBSTER REPORT CARD REQUIREMENTS FOR OCEAN WATERS.
(a) Spiny Lobster Report Card Required. All individuals must have a Spiny Lobster Report
Card in their possession while fishing for or taking lobster. In the case of a person diving from a
boat, the report card may be kept in the boat, or in the case of a person diving from the shore,
the report card may be kept within 500 yards from the point of entry. Individuals must complete
and return the card pursuant to regulations in this Section and in Section 1.74.
(b) Prior to beginning fishing activity, the cardholder must record the month, day, location,
and gear code on the first available line on the report card.
(c) When the cardholder moves to another location code, or finishes fishing for the day, he
or she must immediately record on the card the number of lobster kept from that location.

(d) In the event an individual fills in all lines and returns a Spiny Lobster Report Card, an
additional card may be purchased. See Section 1.74.
(e) The annual fee for the Spiny Lobster Report Card is specified in Section 701, Title 14, CCR.

jorluivil 09-10-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowprofile (Post 132584)

Keep it in a dry bag and carry an extra one. I usually carry a fine point sharpie and a ball point sharpie, never had any issues with either one not writting.

paintnfish 09-10-2012 02:41 PM

I like the flat nets best, they keep me busy pulling every
15-20 minutes as where most of the guys will let the Ambush
nets soak forty five minutes to an hour. that being said, I
carry two ambush in my stack.

If you decide to go with the old school nets I recommend
looking into the promar bait suspender's, they work well
and the bait cage clips are the best thing since sliced bread.

The second purchase of your report card will carry you into
December of the following year.

Got Butter !

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...h/2a634527.jpg

maui jim 09-10-2012 02:59 PM

And remember boys and girls.....After midnight starts a brand new day!!:)
So fill you cards out properly, so Mister Green Jeans does not have to give you a greeting card when your at the beach party.:cool:

tacmik 09-10-2012 03:43 PM

What I always wondered was if I went out on say Friday evening, limited out by 9 pm. Went home, dropped off my lobsters and went back at say 12:15 am on sat morning. two different days. Is that legal?

roadx 09-10-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacmik (Post 132675)
What I always wondered was if I went out on say Friday evening, limited out by 9 pm. Went home, dropped off my lobsters and went back at say 12:15 am on sat morning. two different days. Is that legal?

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faq.asp

What is the daily bag limit for lobster? The possession limit?
A. According to Section 29.90(b) T14, CCR, the daily recreational bag limit is seven lobsters per person. Additionally, Section 1.17 states that no more than one daily bag limit may be taken or possessed by any one person unless otherwise authorized (see Declaration for Multi-Day Fishing Trip, Section 27.15 T14, CCR), regardless of whether they are fresh, frozen or otherwise preserved. This means that if you have a limit of seven lobsters at home, you cannot go out and get more lobsters until the first limit is disposed of in some way (eaten, given away, etc).

jorluivil 09-10-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maui jim (Post 132662)
And remember boys and girls.....After midnight starts a brand new day!!:)
So fill you cards out properly, so Mister Green Jeans does not have to give you a greeting card when your at the beach party.:cool:

Quote:

Tacmik, if you're referring to what Jim wrote the answer is NO. I believe what Jim is trying to say is that if you're out hoop netting on 10/2 and decide to stay past midnight(now 10/3) you must have that new date on the report for anything caught that day. You can go back and hoop net the following day but you cannot have more than 7 in your possesion

tacmik 09-10-2012 06:01 PM

Like I said, go home dropped of the ones I caught, and came back 3 hours later but on sat. morning not fri night. different dates on the report card.

jorluivil 09-10-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacmik (Post 132698)
Like I said, go home dropped of the ones I caught, and came back 3 hours later but on sat. morning not fri night. different dates on the report card.

As long as you don't have more than 7 you're OK.

OK
4 on the yak and 3 at home

not OK

5 on the yak and 3 at home

Just remember that 7 is the magic number

p.s.

dates don't matter. You can catch 4 on Sept 30th, keep them in your freezer, go out December 15th and catch 3......that OK because you didn't exceed the limit. However, if you were to go out again December 17th and catch another 4 before you consumed the other 7......that's a NO-NO

KatFish 09-11-2012 03:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the great advise! Can't wait to post picks of my first lobsters😝Got it.....(7) is the magic number lol this is something I can do by myself and the hubby isn't allergic to lobster👍 Now the question is do they taste better streamed, boiled, grilled, baked??? Never really cooked lobster always went out to eat it😉 I'm up at 4:23am can't sleep.....grrrrrr

jorluivil 09-11-2012 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatFish (Post 132749)
Thanks everyone for the great advise! Can't wait to post picks of my first lobsters��Got it.....(7) is the magic number lol this is something I can do by myself and the hubby isn't allergic to lobster�� Now the question is do they taste better streamed, boiled, grilled, baked??? Never really cooked lobster always went out to eat it�� I'm up at 4:23am can't sleep.....grrrrrr

RIGHT.........you probably wish it was already Sept 29th.

KatFish 09-11-2012 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorluivil (Post 132750)
RIGHT.........you probably wish it was already Sept 29th.

Yes I do lol I had a 5 minute melt down yesterday cuz I am taking a trip to Canada Sept 20-24 for my Bday and I thought he was going to go without me for his first time lmfao then he said WAIT!!!!! The season doesn't even open till you get back you big cry baby! Then I responded oh okay you had better wait lol like that would have even stopped him from going without me ha

tacmik 09-11-2012 06:52 AM

I like to steam mine. If grilling, I will partially steam them then finish off on the grill. I think it keeps them from getting burnt or dried out.

maui jim 09-11-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Kinda like Dove Hunting.....

Go back eat your morning limit for lunch...:eating: and try to get more, but your fat and happy and need a nap...and you dont do so well, so you go back, and take that nap,:boring: you did not feel you needed:sleep:,
and wonder..... why the hell you did that in the first place:questionmark: :confused:.....

So be patient, the seasons longer than you think.....:cool: