Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   Kayak Fishing Reports (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dana Pt, 3-3-17 (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=30718)

Amish Ed 03-03-2017 12:19 PM

Dana Pt, 3-3-17

Slept in a little and didn't get to DP until 7:00. I found $5 that I didn't know I had and was able to use the boat ramp. This was good as there was some kind of Woody/SUP event at Baby Beach. Anyways, launched about 7:30 to a cool offshore breeze and clear skies. Water was 57º and change at launch and 60º when I came back in. There was a current break snaking around. Dirty on the inside, clean outside.

Tried the end of the long jetty briefly for nothing, and then headed for the Pipe. Wind wasn't bad for most of the paddle out and then near the Pipe it picked up quite a bit. Wasn't sketchy hard, just enough to be a pain. And shifty enough to be a double pain. Some drifts veered up hill, some down. Made it hard to set up a drift over the Pipe and I found myself missing it too often. But, I was out there and it felt good.

Due to the wind I stuck to a 3/4oz Warblade (sexy dine) and 1oz Warbait (firecracker) with a 6" Zman Swimmerz (calico candy and bad shad). The Warblade was still too light for my liking, but I got a chunky calico about 3lbs right away. Unfortunately, that was it for a while. Got some bites, but was too slow on the hook set. Plus the aforementioned drift issue didn't help as I kept missing the Pipe. Worked my way from 40' out to 50' and then back in to about 35'. In tighter the water was dirty, but I managed 2 more. A barely legal sand bass on a 1/2oz Warblade (the wind had died about 9:30) and a calico that was maybe 2lbs that ate the 3/4oz Warblade.

Headed in about 10:30 as I had to get home to watch the kids. So, a short day, but fun and gave me some much needed time alone with myself.

PS: this was my first time taking the Ride out on open water. It is slower than the Trident 13 for sure, but I really appreciated the added stability. The lack of a wet butt was really nice too. Finally, having a rudder is awesome. Big help in the wind and chop.

StumpFisher 03-03-2017 01:10 PM

thanks for the report
maybe I can join you out on DP some day.

Amish Ed 03-03-2017 01:13 PM

Landwhale, Harry Hill and I should be hitting it next Thurs or Fri. Join us if you can.

alanw 03-03-2017 02:50 PM

Glad you like your new ride. The Whale Festival is going on this weekend and next so Baby Beach would probably best be avoided for now anyway.

Amish Ed 03-03-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanw (Post 276183)
Glad you like your new ride. The Whale Festival is going on this weekend and next so Baby Beach would probably best be avoided for now anyway.

Guess we'll aim for Thursday then. Thanks for the heads up. Not sure what was up down there this morning.

cris 03-03-2017 03:07 PM

They were filming a promo for the festival for KTLA as well

Amish Ed 03-03-2017 03:08 PM

Forgot about the news van. How'd you do?

cris 03-03-2017 03:56 PM

I didn't make it out this morning due to work calling. Looked beautiful though.

Amish Ed 03-03-2017 03:59 PM

Bummer. It definitely got better after 9am. I'm sure it was nicer out on the point though.

Harry Hill 03-03-2017 09:34 PM

Glad you got out Ed. Do you think it would have been to rough for my wife's sit in kayak? I'm glad you like the new kayak, as you know I'm looking at the Wilderness Systems Radar which has the same hull design as your Ride I think. I don't like wet butt fishing so the seat is great for me.It looks like you like dry butt fishing also. Did you say we are on for Thursday? Either day is good for me.

Saba Slayer 03-03-2017 09:56 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the report Ed...I wish I was on the water today... it's been looking beautiful the last couple of days !

THANKS FOR YOUR VOLUNTEER HELP WITH THE CCA CAL...!
Thank you for volunteering on Wednesday morning...it was fun walking around the show handing out signs just before it opened and 'getting in free' is always a bonus...!

Amish Ed 03-04-2017 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 276211)
Glad you got out Ed. Do you think it would have been to rough for my wife's sit in kayak? I'm glad you like the new kayak, as you know I'm looking at the Wilderness Systems Radar which has the same hull design as your Ride I think. I don't like wet butt fishing so the seat is great for me.It looks like you like dry butt fishing also. Did you say we are on for Thursday? Either day is good for me.

Thursday would be better for me, but i need to check with Steve first. As far as the sit inside, I'm not sure. What is she used to? Only had one breaking wake today.

Amish Ed 03-04-2017 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saba Slayer (Post 276213)
Thanks for the report Ed...I wish I was on the water today... it's been looking beautiful the last couple of days !

THANKS FOR YOUR VOLUNTEER HELP WITH THE CCA CAL...!
Thank you for volunteering on Wednesday morning...it was fun walking around the show handing out signs just before it opened and 'getting in free' is always a bonus...!

Thanks, Jim. It was my pleasure. It was good to see you.

Amish Ed 03-04-2017 06:08 PM

Harry, you may want to have her sit this one out and see for your self what conditions get like out there. Then next time if you think she can handle it, bring her.

InfidelYak 03-06-2017 05:22 AM

Outta curiosity, are you letting your jig go to the bottom before yu start the retrieval?

Amish Ed 03-06-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfidelYak (Post 276289)
Outta curiosity, are you letting your jig go to the bottom before yu start the retrieval?

On the bottom. If i'm not losing or coming close to losing lead to the pipe i'm probably not catching fish. Thus the issue with not being able to anticipate which direction any given drift would go.