Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sea lion problems (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=6321)

PB fisher 11-19-2009 07:28 PM

Sea lion problems

Went hooping last night in SD Bay and had some major problems with sea lions breaking the metal bait age open and stealing bait. I use the square metal bait cages any zip tie them to the bottom of the hoop net. The sea lions actually bent and broke the bait cage on several nets. Started with 5 working nets and at the end of the night I was left with only 2 bait cages intact. 2 broken bait cages that were completely mangled and one was lost.
Any ideas on solutions???
Thanks.

-scallywag- 11-20-2009 11:24 AM

ummm good question....i don't know... but i do know there are way less seals and boat traffic at south LJ...i've got a couple hoops and a card...i'm down to give it a shot some night.....

Sherm 11-20-2009 12:12 PM

Look for some new locations. Many times those damn sea lions learn a spot and always check it out. Explore a little or shoot them.

Just kidding on the shooting part.

MalibuJohnny 11-20-2009 01:16 PM

Damn FUR BASS!

FUR BASS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherm (Post 47582)
Look for some new locations. Many times those damn sea lions learn a spot and always check it out. Explore a little or shoot them.

Damn FUR BASS

this the one? :eek:
http://www.vacationsandtravelmag.com...outh_aust2.jpg

Just kidding on the shooting part.

Ohana 11-20-2009 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You need to invite these people with you when you go hooping:

Attachment 1637

I hear they love seals...

Sherm 11-21-2009 07:13 AM

Too bad you can't have a pet one of those. I would love to have one hang with me while I'm hoopin.

WCW Moderator 11-21-2009 07:44 AM

sharp edges may deter them, used to make my bait pouches out of folded chicken wire.

Ohana 11-21-2009 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherm (Post 47601)
Too bad you can't have a pet one of those. I would love to have one hang with me while I'm hoopin.

It is possible, but I bet the feeding bill would be a killer. Here's one playing fetch!

Attachment 1638

Seriously, this picture was from the National Geographic special last Sunday where they were tagging Great Whites off Guadalupe Island. They had a lift on the side of the ship that they lifted out of the water with the shark on to tag them then lowered the lift and the sharks swam off. One of the sharks was 16 feet long and looked like a small whale.

Kevin

Matt 11-21-2009 10:57 AM

Ummmmmm YIKES!!!! No thanks I will take pesky seals annoying me versus that solution!

BT 11-21-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohana (Post 47604)
It is possible, but I bet the feeding bill would be a killer. Here's one playing fetch!

Attachment 1638

Seriously, this picture was from the National Geographic special last Sunday where they were tagging Great Whites off Guadalupe Island. They had a lift on the side of the ship that they lifted out of the water with the shark on to tag them then lowered the lift and the sharks swam off. One of the sharks was 16 feet long and looked like a small whale.

Kevin

Saw that show this morning. Pretty neat!

CurtyL 11-21-2009 08:47 PM

Has anyone tried putting a low level elecrical lead on thier gear?

tacmik 11-22-2009 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtyL (Post 47612)
Has anyone tried putting a low level elecrical lead on thier gear?

You mean like a bug zapper.

SeaEagle_1 11-22-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCW Moderator (Post 47603)
sharp edges may deter them, used to make my bait pouches out of folded chicken wire.

that may not be such a bad idea. what about using something like bike spokes and solder them to the cage so they can't bite the spokes to take them out. kind of like a sea urchin. but make them long enough to they can't get their mouth around it to pick it up. just a thought.