Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kayak Fishing in the Rain (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=28706)

M4TT 04-05-2016 04:45 PM

Kayak Fishing in the Rain

Hey guys. So i finally have my kayak set up (or at least have the bare essentials to get out on the water) and was planning on going this weekend to Marina Del Rey.

Then i checked the weather report and it says there's a 30% chance of rain before the afternoon and 60% chance after.. As a total kayak fishing rookie, should i still go? I don't mine the rain and a buddy of mine would be joining me but he's a beginner as well.

:cheers1:

HobieScot 04-05-2016 04:57 PM

Kayak Fishing in the Rain

I would be looking more at the water conditions than the rain. See what the swell will be wherever you plan to fish

Unless you have a sit inside kayak. Then heavy rain might not be a good idea to fish in. But for a sit on top the rain never bothers me

jruiz 04-05-2016 05:03 PM

Things you'll have to consider are swells, rain, lightning, and runoff.

Harry Hill 04-05-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M4TT (Post 257801)
Hey guys. So i finally have my kayak set up (or at least have the bare essentials to get out on the water) and was planning on going this weekend to Marina Del Rey.

Then i checked the weather report and it says there's a 30% chance of rain before the afternoon and 60% chance after.. As a total kayak fishing rookie, should i still go? I don't mine the rain and a buddy of mine would be joining me but he's a beginner as well.

check the swells and wind conditions, I got into some heavy swells last week and it was not fun.

Mahigeer 04-05-2016 06:50 PM

Having a graphite fishing rod in your hand (or kayak) if there are lightning strikes is never a good situation.

Wetness is the least problem. Swell, wind, etc. are more important factors to consider.

Is what I believe.

2-Stix 04-05-2016 07:40 PM

been there done that. i know your itching...but pass on it.

Harry Hill 04-05-2016 07:54 PM

when the graphite rod starts vibrating it's time to throw it overboard.

Orca Winfrey 04-05-2016 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Hill (Post 257823)
when the graphite rod starts vibrating it's time to throw it overboard.

Hahah!

cell128 04-05-2016 08:26 PM

These swells a few weeks ago were unfishable one our guys almost rolled trying to come.back in. Definitely respect the forecast unless you're a rebel like some of us https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5mkwn31wu...83307.mp4?dl=0

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

taggermike 04-06-2016 07:44 AM

Rain can be drag but if you're dressed right its OK. Wind can ruin a trip. But MDR is pretty sheltered so you should be able to find a place to fish. Obviously lighting cancels a trip. But thunder storms are rare on the coast here. You won't be too far from the launch, if gets bad just go home.

Harry Hill 04-06-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cell128 (Post 257825)
These swells a few weeks ago were unfishable one our guys almost rolled trying to come.back in. Definitely respect the forecast unless you're a rebel like some of us https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5mkwn31wu...83307.mp4?dl=0

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

those are some scary swells, it gets bad when they get so close together like that and you keep going into the bottom then popping back up, it feels like you can't make any headway

Tommy92708 04-06-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M4TT (Post 257801)

OMG just got my kayak couple of days ago and thinking of doing that same thing this weekend and is pretty disappointed with the rain. I'm near NPB so will launch from there. How do you check the swell and wind forecast?

bwana 04-06-2016 07:48 PM

Isn't kayaking a "water" sport?

I am fishing Friday, rain or shine.

Phishphood 04-06-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwana (Post 257894)
Isn't kayaking a "water" sport?

I am fishing Friday, rain or shine.

Where ya launching?

King Saba 04-07-2016 12:54 AM

No one's talking about transporting your kayak in the rain. Won't it have a higher chance of slipping off on the road?

PapaDave 04-07-2016 05:03 AM

I've fished in the rain, it's fine as long as you are prepared. If you see or hear lightning/thunder, then get off the water. The bays should be fine, or semi sheltered areas out from those.

Harry Hill 04-07-2016 05:08 AM

some of my best fishing has been in the rain. I would be more worried about the wind.

bwana 04-09-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phishphood (Post 257905)
Where ya launching?

Went fishing with AmishEd Friday morning at Mission Bay to pre-fish for the tournament.

Left El Toro at 4:30 a.m., hit steady rain from Camp Pendleton all the way to Mission Bay.

Stopped raining when we got there. Turned out to be a nice morning.

Thanks Ed for the good company.

Amish Ed 04-09-2016 07:05 PM

Good fishing with you Mike and good luck next week. Glad the rain backed off for us.

I've fished in 2 tournaments where lightning was happening off and on. Plus, there was multiple waterspouts at one of them. Insane fishing both times. Would I do it again? Nope. I'm a lot more circumspect these days and a wife and 4 kids will do that to you. Eventually anyways.

ronbo613 04-10-2016 06:34 AM

We fish in the rain all the time, cold rain. Toughen up, buy a raincoat.