Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   When to fish (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=24760)

Crazydog 02-28-2015 06:47 PM

When to fish

Hello BWE I was curious how everyone determines when they would like to fish, specifically la Jolla.

Do you just pick a time and launch?
Do you fish according to tides, or currents or moon phases.
Are there certain weather conditions you look for and plan your trip to capitalize this, if so what are you looking for.

I'm just looking to expanded my knowledge on kayak fishing and learn from everyone's experience. Thanks

tacmik 02-28-2015 06:56 PM

I go whenever I can irregardless of time, tides, moon phases, zodiac sign or whatever. When I have time, I go. If I waited for every factor that man has to consider, I would never get out to fish. Only found one time when the stars aligned, the moon was bright, the tide was right, and Aquarius was rising. IT RAINED. in other words, just go fish.

momo fish 02-28-2015 07:11 PM

Ditto.. Only people who should figure out best time to fish are either pro/guides or those with to much time on their hands and can fish anytime..

The rest are limited to finding an open window. And I also gave up fishing based on what the almanac says..

Fishwhisperer619 02-28-2015 07:34 PM

Anytime you can put a line in the water is the right time to go!

yak-fishing-socal 02-28-2015 08:15 PM

Fish seem more active early morning and evenings

Cadillyak 02-28-2015 11:46 PM

Fish when you can. Can't catch one on the couch...

taggermike 03-01-2015 07:38 AM

I gotta agree with every one else. Fish when you can. If there's too much surf for La Jolla then fish the bay. Your time window is small; maybe fish a local lake. You have a few open days; go to Baja or the Colorado River. Take advantage of living in So Cal, there's fishing available all year. Mike

DanaPT 03-01-2015 09:39 AM

Definitely go when you can.

When I can go... I try to be aware of moon phases, tides, low vs. high pressure systems, wind, and even water temp.

I'm sure it all matters. especially when you're really hunting for certain bait and fish.

Any PMS of :wsb:activity in my area would be greatly appreciated. :D

FISH11 03-01-2015 09:51 AM

Anytime you can, and the wind is going to be less than 18 MPH. Unfortunately when you have to work, there is never enough time. Can't wait to RETIRE!

rossman 03-01-2015 10:00 AM

Here's what I do. I hold a small mirror under my nose for about 15 seconds. If it fogs up, I'm breathing and it's time to go fishing

bubblehide 03-01-2015 10:14 AM

Definitely go when you can, especially La Jolla, where you can have a killer bite anytime. But I'll go a little deeper into your question, at the risk of pissing a lot of people off due to giving out secrets:D.

If your after a particular species, you may want to consider it's needs, it's particular bite... For example, Pelagic species come and go, and you do not want to be fishing for them, well when they are not there. Threshers come to mind. They have a pup season, and the pups tend to swim up the coast, in much shallower waters that the large adults. Knowing this timing, in the local area can be critical. White sea bass is another. Although they can be caught anytime they are around, the bite is phenomenally better during their breeding season. But then, for the bite to really turn on, water temp is critical.

Id suggest you attend the up-coming Fred Hall show, check out some of the seminars, and perhaps purchase yourself a few well written species specific books. Otherwise, or in addition to, book a trip or 2, or 3 with some of the kayak guides.

Crazydog 03-01-2015 10:58 AM

Thanks for all your responses, I really appreciate the knowledge BWE members are willing to share. I'm really interested in learning fish patterns and behavior so thanks again to those that went into detail.
Sounds like nothing bets time on the water, so I'll see you fellas out there.

jorluivil 03-01-2015 01:10 PM

Some guys make it more complicated than it actually is.

Dail14 03-01-2015 04:43 PM

Early morning is usually best since there is less competition for parking and no tourists in kayaks to dodge on your way out.