Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge

Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/index.php)
-   General Kayak Fishing Discussion (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tax man in Manhattan beach (http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=22548)

cell128 07-05-2014 02:33 PM

Tax man in Manhattan beach

Swimmer attacked today at Manhattan beach by a great white. Fisherman had the shark hooked. He probably didn't know he had hooked the taxman http://abcnews.go.com/US/swimmer-bit...ry?id=24438491

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jorluivil 07-05-2014 03:10 PM

Glad I decided to stay away from that area this weekend

walrus 07-05-2014 04:42 PM

B.S. no way anything that walks on two legs can know what if any feelings a shark may experience or if it just has a biological response to something swimming.

"A group of long-distance swimmers coming by -- the shark just got agitated and bit one of the swimmers,"

wiredantz 07-05-2014 06:40 PM

Scary

Silbaugh4liberty 07-05-2014 07:47 PM

Crazy!!

FISH11 07-05-2014 07:52 PM

I guess the leason is to never go swiming near a pier were some dumb ass is fishing for sharks. I feel a lot safer on top of my kayak.

Dail14 07-05-2014 08:14 PM

You should never swim or surf near a public fishing pier. Im surprised accidents like this are not more common since so many people insist on being in the water close to piers. Im also surprised that someone fishing from a pier was able to work a large great white back to the pier before it broke the line.

Silbaugh4liberty 07-05-2014 10:57 PM

I'm glad you guys said it first. I started typing that swimming and surf near a pier is stupid, and changed it to just "crazy". I would always get pissed when fishing the pier and some morons would swim right by everyone's lines. That was my motivation to get my kayak, and get away from the idiots.

AirborneYak 07-06-2014 07:50 AM

Here is the video of attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzXLQhMMlo

YakDout 07-06-2014 08:29 AM

The people fishing on the pier should all be arrested. I cannot believe someone is so stupid to leave a great white hanging while there are what looked like dozens of swimmers in that close of proximity.

As punishment, they should be thrown in a tank of GWs to have the same feeling and fear they instilled upon those swimmers.

WOW

cell128 07-06-2014 08:32 AM

After watching that video im spechless. Not only do they laugh about it but record it and somehow land it on YouTube? They probably sold it. This could ruin pier fishing for everyone if the right people see it. What a bunch of dickheads

Zed 07-06-2014 09:05 AM

Wait, there's white sharks around here?
I'm selling my shit!

DanaPT 07-06-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakDout (Post 199319)
The people fishing on the pier should all be arrested. I cannot believe someone is so stupid to leave a great white hanging while there are what looked like dozens of swimmers in that close of proximity.

As punishment, they should be thrown in a tank of GWs to have the same feeling and fear they instilled upon those swimmers.

WOW

Quote:

Originally Posted by cell128 (Post 199320)
After watching that video im spechless. Not only do they laugh about it but record it and somehow land it on YouTube? They probably sold it. This could ruin pier fishing for everyone if the right people see it. What a bunch of dickheads

Tough break. But you blame the anglers?

You all know that when you enter the water you take risks. Want to eliminate the risk of shark attacks ...swim in pool.

No way to know what type of anything you are going to catch when fishing. Sure using big baits, big hooks to target sharks is questionable on a pier (not convinced they were fishing for a shark based on that video)... but figure the odds of catching Threshers, Makos or GW's from a pier? Odds seem low (I know there have been reports of these fish caught before on a pier... but consider the # of people fishing on piers everyday).

That juvi shark probably had no idea it was hooked and was looking for an easy meal. Wrong place wrong time. That simple.

YakDout 07-06-2014 09:45 AM

So you're saying after they figured out they were putting lives in danger, they should definitely not have cut the shark off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tamddo714 07-06-2014 10:24 AM

The swimmers should be aware they are putting their lives endangered getting into that big blue ocean. Who is to say if he cut the line it still wouldn't have happened? Stuff happens.

Fiskadoro 07-06-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaPT (Post 199325)
That juvi shark probably had no idea it was hooked and was looking for an easy meal. Wrong place wrong time. That simple.

The shark was reacting to being hooked. The video and comments make fisherman look bad, but it's obvious from their gear and what they say that they were not fishing sharks, just stupid kids that had no clue what to do once they hooked the shark.

There was no way that shark was trying to feed on that swimmer and it obviously knew it was hooked. Cutting the line at the reel would of been stupid. The shark would of ended up towing the excess line, and could of eventually died. If you look carefully you can see that before the shark attacked it was on the surface obviously fighting the line moving right to left. It just happened to run into the crowd of swimmers as they crossed paths. If the fisherman had broken it off, or thrown the reel in freespool it would of probably dove or taken off and missed them completely. He was also using spectra. All he had to do to release it was lock up the reel and break it off. Once free it would of left the area.

I've never hooked a white but I have hooked many makos (a whites closest relative) and they will attack boats motors and sometimes even other sharks, especially blue sharks, when hooked. They attack other sharks because they feel threatened, injure them, then leave them bleeding as bait. It's the marine equivalent of being left for the wolves

alanw 07-06-2014 12:14 PM

I don't think the shark was trying to attack him, just a wrong place/wrong time accident with an aggravated shark. About 1:00 in the video a witness says the swimmer caught the line with his hand during a swim stroke which brought the shark right up close to him.

johnnyblaze2009 07-06-2014 04:53 PM

In my opinion I think if I was pier fishing and knew I hooked a great white I think I would cut the line anyways knowing that you can't take that species of shark anyways. I think if I still brought him in and it died I would be held responsible.

jorluivil 07-06-2014 06:14 PM

As soon as you enter the water you have become part of the food chain.

Is that not true?

EDC 07-06-2014 11:31 PM

I wish people would have their information at least a little straight before posting comments on YouTube. Reading through them made my brain hurt. Lots of hate shooting off in every direction when you go in that place, some justified and others just stupidly misinformed. I can see some kind of new law trying to get passed.
I'm not defending these guys at all cause I'd like to bitch slap the laugh right off their faces, but I think swimming and surfing right at a fishing pier, where you don't even need a license and there are hundreds of lines from noob fishermen in the water is pretty stupid. The pier is there for fishing, not swimming. Not very safe. But still, the guys on the pier do us absolutely no justice and should probably get a nice flogging for giving fishermen a black eye.